Trip Report SURPRISE SEPTEMBER TRIP REVEALED.... BUT WAS IT A SURPRISE?

This is my first trip report and I hope I can compare to the high standards of some of the trip reports I read before our trip, during my research period. Thank you by the way to all who indirectly made this a magically and memorable trip.

We did manage to make it to WDW and back home safely. Been home for about 6 days now and still working at cleaning/organizing everything after the trip. Especially all the photos taken. I had a personal count of about 2200 pictures/videos of my own. Now mind you most of those were similar. By that I mean, my cameras have the option of taking up to 3 photos in a row. I thought best to use this feature in order to acquire the perfect shot, instead of being stuck with only the 'one' picture of someone looking elsewhere or with their eyes closed. And of course there were those few shots taken of the ground that always appear to happen. Not to mention just over another 1000 photos in my Memory Maker account. I think this was a very good investment on my part.

I guess I should start by back tracking a little.

Why? Besides the answer of why not, this trip started to flourish by the kids last year asking if we could go to WDW. I promised we could in two or three years but we would have to cut back on some of our spending and start saving for it. So, true answer, promise made.

How? Things just ended up falling into place to go this September, about a year in advance. I was able to receive some severance from a project I was helping with and thought our WDW trip would be a good way of using it.

When? I was originally thinking of going around March 2017, near to DD's birthday, but further research provided information September provided some of the lowest crowd levels. This would be an extra benefit for someone who has not been to WDW in about 40 years to be able to get around. September provided some extra benefits besides the lower crowds, lower costs and free dining. I would happen to have the children for a 3 week period in September and would allow flexibility to when we would fly. (Only later to decide we would be driving instead, but still allow us to be at WDW longer than the normal 7 days I have the children.) It would also be DS's birthday during this 3 week period and who won't want to celebrate their birthday at WDW.

I decided we would drive down (more due to trying to keep it a secret longer), departing Canada on Monday, September 12th taking the scenic route to WDW. We would arrive at WDW on Thursday, September 15th and depart on Friday, September 23rd. This would give us newbies 7 full days in the parks to explore.

I should add that while I was organizing the above, the children were planning a trip for the three of us to go to WDW July 2017 for my birthday. I know I am mean in being so deceitful, but I actually did give them the option to help plan 'a trip I was planning' but they wanted it to be a surprise. So, really it is their own fault. :p:D:rolleyes:;):joyfull:

Who?

Me- Paul

9 MK_ENCHANTEDTALESGOLD (2).jpeg

DS - Daniel

9 MK_ENCHANTEDTALESGOLD (49).jpeg

DD - Christina

9 MK_ENCHANTEDTALESGOLD (57).jpeg

I think I will end it here for now. I will be back soon to report our departure and our first leg of our drive.

Scoppin

Original Poster
FRIDAY, SEPT 23 - CONT

A few more pictures from the All Star Movies' grounds.

The kids under Mickey's enchanted sorcerers hat. I did take a picture of the kids closer to me, however it didn't turn out very well.
7 DSCF1230 (1).JPG

DS going for a spin with a friend.
8 DSCF1236 (1).JPG

DD's turn.
8 DSCF1236 (5).JPG

Time to enter Andy's room. I just noticed Little Bo Peep in the background. Wondering why we didn't take a picture with her? Hmm.
9 WDW Sept 23 Enlargements.JPG

Woody. Not to be confused with any other Woodys who may have been mentioned in any other threads/reports.
10 WDW Sept 23 Enlargements (1).JPG

Buzz. DD ready to travel 'TO INFINITY AND BEYOND'.
11 WDW Sept 23 Enlargements (2).JPG

Our time outside was about up. And to be honest, I was ready to go inside. I think today was the warmest of all the days we were at WDW. It was 32 and only early afternoon.

We had two things we had to do before we started our journey home. The first being updating our snack entitlement. By that I mean, lowering it. I am not sure if you noticed throughout the report, but we didn't stop many times for snacks. And a few times we did, some were free. I believe our currently tally was 18 unused snacks and that was about to change. The CM at the cash was very nice and she checked our allotment for us. Then another CM helped give us ideas of what to take, as she had seen us going back and forth wondering what to take. I was thinking having something for snacks for when the kids go back to school the following would be good as well as snacks for the road, not that we didn't have enough of those. We finally made our decisions and were off to stop number two. I should add, it was very quiet in there. Barely anyone in the whole area. Not something we were accustomed to at Sports. It was like crazy all the time.

As we were walking to the gift shop, I noticed DS stop, turn around, pick something off the floor and give it to the gentleman who just passed us. I had stopped and watched. When he turned around to come back he replied, 'what, he dropped something and I picked it up to give it to him.' He thought I was not pleased for him making us later than we were. I corrected him and told him how proud I was of him to do his good deed without having to be asked. The item which was dropped, a WDW gift card.

Now to the gift shop. Our goal was the large 12' talking Woody to go with the Buzz DS already had. No luck in locating Woody, as evidence is shown by the picture, to the right. Zurg was purchased instead. (how active are Buzz and Zurg now. Well they both protect the intergalactic space under his bed.) :confused::confused::banghead::banghead: We did get a few other items, DD got a grey Minnie Mouse (who was also give to my father) and a Yoda ornament.

The sad faces of two individuals who don't want this trip to come to an end.
12 DSCF1253.JPG

Leaving WDW.
13 DSCF1255 (1).JPG

We are now on our journey home. Breaking it up so we, I, don't have a long drive home after a long and very busy week. First stop being in Charlotte, which should be about 8 hours, but we should still be late in checking in. I believe I had mentioned earlier the news I read in the paper as the current situation in Charlotte. Today, would be day 3 of the unrest in Charlotte after the police shooting of a civilian. I had not mentioned any of this unrest to the kids as I didn't want them to worry. Well, DS was on his phone and he had a data plan. He must have come up on the unrest while on his phone. He asked me where we were stopping tonight. I mentioned Charlotte, wondering what the next question was going to be. Next Question: Daddy are you aware someone was shot there? My reply, yes. I don't think he actually mentioned riot, but mentioned something in the like. There was a little concern/worry in his voice. I told him I was sure we would be fine and it was not taking place in the whole city. And if it was occurring where our hotel was located, I was sure the police would suggest we find somewhere else to stay for the night. (I wish they had) He didn't say much regarding the subject afterwards. I am hoping it was because he felt safe after our conversation.

It was late when we finally made our way into Charlotte and surprisingly got into some traffic. Of course I was wondering if the traffic was due to the civil unrest and hoping not. It was pretty close to midnight when we final pulled into the Days Inn in Northlake parking lot. We checked in and it appeared the desk clerk changed our room assignment as appeared he grabbed one set of keys and than another. It was on the ground floor and we were able to park not far from our room. We gathered the bags we needed for the night/morning and got ready for bed. Now, on our way down to WDW the quality of our hotels improved with each stop we made. It appeared this trend would continue for our journey home. I would not consider this Days Inn a hotel, more a motel. Mind you have have stayed in a few motels but this one needed some work. At least the our room did. And it got worse when DD pulled down the blankets on her bed. Let's just say the housekeeping hadn't made it to our room today. And no, it is not the first thing you are thinking. How rude! I have attached a picture for those who would like to see what we found, but I put a spoiler on it, for those who don't. The kids asked about moving rooms. I looked at the clock, which not stated it was 12:15 am. And to be honest I wasn't to confident that the next room would be any better. I replied it was late, we were already for bed and didn't think the next room would be better. I added I would complain about it in the morning. DS proceeded to secure the security latch. And off to bed we went.

DSCF1262.JPG

I told you it wasn't the first thing that popped into your mind, but still.

I am just going to continue for a little longer, even though it is the next day, but this is related to the hotel. We got up the next morning and got ready to leave. There was a free breakfast so we went to see what they were offering. I know what you are thinking, stop don't go. DS went to unlock the door and the security latch broke off in his hands. He was worried he had broke it but I told him he didn't as could see the stress fractures. I brought the broken latch as well as the items above to the front desk. The breakfast area was also in the lobby/front desk area. And it was not a large area by any means. Maybe 3 or 4 tables at best. I mentioned to the front desk clerk my displeasure with the room and put the items on the front desk. He didn't appear phased by my comments or the items on the desk. He mentioned there was nothing he could do as I booked the room through a third party. :banghead::banghead::banghead: (Need an icon with steam coming out of the ears.) We then proceeded to have breakfast. Not that there was much to chose from. No milk, sort of a good thing as only two lousy choice of cereal, no muffins, no bagels, lousy second grade orange juice and barely enough bread to make toast. We ate breakfast, went back to our room and got ready to leave. We were glad to check out and continue on our journey.

Our second stop could not possibly be worse than this one.

MySmallWorldof4

FRIDAY, SEPT 23 - CONT

A few more pictures from the All Star Movies' grounds.

The kids under Mickey's enchanted sorcerers hat. I did take a picture of the kids closer to me, however it didn't turn out very well.
View attachment 192782

DS going for a spin with a friend.
View attachment 192783

DD's turn.
View attachment 192784

Time to enter Andy's room. I just noticed Little Bo Peep in the background. Wondering why we didn't take a picture with her? Hmm.
View attachment 192785

Woody. Not to be confused with any other Woodys who may have been mentioned in any other threads/reports.
View attachment 192786

Buzz. DD ready to travel 'TO INFINITY AND BEYOND'.
View attachment 192787

Our time outside was about up. And to be honest, I was ready to go inside. I think today was the warmest of all the days we were at WDW. It was 32 and only early afternoon.

We had two things we had to do before we started our journey home. The first being updating our snack entitlement. By that I mean, lowering it. I am not sure if you noticed throughout the report, but we didn't stop many times for snacks. And a few times we did, some were free. I believe our currently tally was 18 unused snacks and that was about to change. The CM at the cash was very nice and she checked our allotment for us. Then another CM helped give us ideas of what to take, as she had seen us going back and forth wondering what to take. I was thinking having something for snacks for when the kids go back to school the following would be good as well as snacks for the road, not that we didn't have enough of those. We finally made our decisions and were off to stop number two. I should add, it was very quiet in there. Barely anyone in the whole area. Not something we were accustomed to at Sports. It was like crazy all the time.

As we were walking to the gift shop, I noticed DS stop, turn around, pick something off the floor and give it to the gentleman who just passed us. I had stopped and watched. When he turned around to come back he replied, 'what, he dropped something and I picked it up to give it to him.' He thought I was not pleased for him making us later than we were. I corrected him and told him how proud I was of him to do his good deed without having to be asked. The item which was dropped, a WDW gift card.

Now to the gift shop. Our goal was the large 12' talking Woody to go with the Buzz DS already had. No luck in locating Woody, as evidence is shown by the picture, to the right. Zurg was purchased instead. (how active are Buzz and Zurg now. Well they both protect the intergalactic space under his bed.) :confused::confused::banghead::banghead: We did get a few other items, DD got a grey Minnie Mouse (who was also give to my father) and a Yoda ornament.

The sad faces of two individuals who don't want this trip to come to an end.
View attachment 192788

Leaving WDW.
View attachment 192781

We are now on our journey home. Breaking it up so we, I, don't have a long drive home after a long and very busy week. First stop being in Charlotte, which should be about 8 hours, but we should still be late in checking in. I believe I had mentioned earlier the news I read in the paper as the current situation in Charlotte. Today, would be day 3 of the unrest in Charlotte after the police shooting of a civilian. I had not mentioned any of this unrest to the kids as I didn't want them to worry. Well, DS was on his phone and he had a data plan. He must have come up on the unrest while on his phone. He asked me where we were stopping tonight. I mentioned Charlotte, wondering what the next question was going to be. Next Question: Daddy are you aware someone was shot there? My reply, yes. I don't think he actually mentioned riot, but mentioned something in the like. There was a little concern/worry in his voice. I told him I was sure we would be fine and it was not taking place in the whole city. And if it was occurring where our hotel was located, I was sure the police would suggest we find somewhere else to stay for the night. (I wish they had) He didn't say much regarding the subject afterwards. I am hoping it was because he felt safe after our conversation.

It was late when we finally made our way into Charlotte and surprisingly got into some traffic. Of course I was wondering if the traffic was due to the civil unrest and hoping not. It was pretty close to midnight when we final pulled into the Days Inn in Northlake parking lot. We checked in and it appeared the desk clerk changed our room assignment as appeared he grabbed one set of keys and than another. It was on the ground floor and we were able to park not far from our room. We gathered the bags we needed for the night/morning and got ready for bed. Now, on our way down to WDW the quality of our hotels improved with each stop we made. It appeared this trend would continue for our journey home. I would not consider this Days Inn a hotel, more a motel. Mind you have have stayed in a few motels but this one needed some work. At least the our room did. And it got worse when DD pulled down the blankets on her bed. Let's just say the housekeeping hadn't made it to our room today. And no, it is not the first thing you are thinking. How rude! I have attached a picture for those who would like to see what we found, but I put a spoiler on it, for those who don't. The kids asked about moving rooms. I looked at the clock, which not stated it was 12:15 am. And to be honest I wasn't to confident that the next room would be any better. I replied it was late, we were already for bed and didn't think the next room would be better. I added I would complain about it in the morning. DS proceeded to secure the security latch. And off to bed we went.

I told you it wasn't the first thing that popped into your mind, but still.

I am just going to continue for a little longer, even though it is the next day, but this is related to the hotel. We got up the next morning and got ready to leave. There was a free breakfast so we went to see what they were offering. I know what you are thinking, stop don't go. DS went to unlock the door and the security latch broke off in his hands. He was worried he had broke it but I told him he didn't as could see the stress fractures. I brought the broken latch as well as the items above to the front desk. The breakfast area was also in the lobby/front desk area. And it was not a large area by any means. Maybe 3 or 4 tables at best. I mentioned to the front desk clerk my displeasure with the room and put the items on the front desk. He didn't appear phased by my comments or the items on the desk. He mentioned there was nothing he could do as I booked the room through a third party. :banghead::banghead::banghead: (Need an icon with steam coming out of the ears.) We then proceeded to have breakfast. Not that there was much to chose from. No milk, sort of a good thing as only two lousy choice of cereal, no muffins, no bagels, lousy second grade orange juice and barely enough bread to make toast. We ate breakfast, went back to our room and got ready to leave. We were glad to check out and continue on our journey.

Our second stop could not possibly be worse than this one.
I am truly impressed by the behavior and thoughtfulness of your kids. It was so nice that your son retrieved that gift card for that person.

How horrible of a hotel stay in Charlotte. That is one most definitely due a terrible review on whatever site you booked it on. By chance were there any reviews of it prior to booking?

Scoppin

Original Poster
I am truly impressed by the behavior and thoughtfulness of your kids. It was so nice that your son retrieved that gift card for that person.

How horrible of a hotel stay in Charlotte. That is one most definitely due a terrible review on whatever site you booked it on. By chance were there any reviews of it prior to booking?

It has been a goal I have set for us for some time now and one I lead by example. I remember one of the first times he did something like that on his own without being asked. It must have been 5-6 years ago during a street festival we have. The busy road is closed to cars, shops bring items out onto the street, community groups have activities to do and there are plenty of give aways. We had made a few stops and my arms were full. I noticed a father try to grab a balloon his young son, 3-4, had let go. I mentioned out loud it was too bad as the father almost caught it. The kids inquired and I should them the father and son. The father got another balloon for his son as the lady with the balloons was right there, but the balloon met the same fate. DS walked over to the balloon lady and asked for a balloon. I was wondering why as we already had balloons and then I wondered even more as he kept on walking. I first was wondering what he was doing, but before I spoke up and asked him I figured it out and I was correct. He walked over to the little boy and gave him the balloon. It made me very proud, as he did it without being asked, and the Ows and Ahs, from those watching didn't hurt. He was asked by the balloon lady if he would like a balloon, as he walked by. He replied no thank you as he already had one. I told him I was very proud of him when he returned.

But I can't leave DD out of the story. We stopped at the corner to have a milkshake. There was a hat on the fire hydrant beside us. She got out of her chair, picked up the hat, walked over to the family at the table beside us and and asked if the hat belonged to them. It didn't, but I was proud of her as well and told her.

There were, but for the price I wasn't expecting much but more than what we got.

MySmallWorldof4

You know it. Sandals and short at 32F. Beats the normal -32F we get most of the year. :p:p:p
Ha ha! The movie Meatballs was filmed in Ontario in the summer but the temps in the summer are only in the 70's! I cannot imagine how cold the lake actually was the kids went swimming in. At 70 in the summer, I would be wearing a sweater. :p

MySmallWorldof4

It has been a goal I have set for us for some time now and one I lead by example. I remember one of the first times he did something like that on his own without being asked. It must have been 5-6 years ago during a street festival we have. The busy road is closed to cars, shops bring items out onto the street, community groups have activities to do and there are plenty of give aways. We had made a few stops and my arms were full. I noticed a father try to grab a balloon his young son, 3-4, had let go. I mentioned out loud it was too bad as the father almost caught it. The kids inquired and I should them the father and son. The father got another balloon for his son as the lady with the balloons was right there, but the balloon met the same fate. DS walked over to the balloon lady and asked for a balloon. I was wondering why as we already had balloons and then I wondered even more as he kept on walking. I first was wondering what he was doing, but before I spoke up and asked him I figured it out and I was correct. He walked over to the little boy and gave him the balloon. It made me very proud, as he did it without being asked, and the Ows and Ahs, from those watching didn't hurt. He was asked by the balloon lady if he would like a balloon, as he walked by. He replied no thank you as he already had one. I told him I was very proud of him when he returned.

But I can't leave DD out of the story. We stopped at the corner to have a milkshake. There was a hat on the fire hydrant beside us. She got out of her chair, picked up the hat, walked over to the family at the table beside us and and asked if the hat belonged to them. It didn't, but I was proud of her as well and told her.

There were, but for the price I wasn't expecting much but more than what we got.
Great kids! Models of how kids should act towards others. You don't get that too often these days, unfortunately.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Ha ha! The movie Meatballs was filmed in Ontario in the summer but the temps in the summer are only in the 70's! I cannot imagine how cold the lake actually was the kids went swimming in. At 70 in the summer, I would be wearing a sweater. :p

It would depend upon where in Ontario. We had a very warm summer this year. High 20s low 30s and humid. Perfect practice for a WDW vacation. But yes, the lakes can still be a little cool. I remember dipping my toes in the other year in mid July and felt like my toes were going to freeze. Not sure how my kids do it.

Scoppin

Original Poster
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 24 & SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 25 - THE JOURNEY HOME

Well, it is time to finally put this trip report to bed.

We left our stay at the 'Bates Motel' and started on our way to our next location; Harrisburg, PA. This was a planned stop, yeah like non of the others were. Wanted to sneak in one more little adventure before actually getting home. The ride was uneventful, which is always good. We had a little difficulty finding the hotel once we arrived in Harrisburg. There was a conflict in regards to direction between my GPS and our CAA route information. This was not the first time this occurred but at least it was only a couple of times and we did eventually find our destination. Was it another 'Bates Motel'? Luckily it was not. It was a Ramada and from the outside it looked much nicer than our previous stay. We checked in and were given our room key. The lobby was much nicer as well. Things are looking up. The down side was there was no elevator in the building we were staying in, on the second floor. I was not looking forward to taking our stuff up to the second floor up the stairs. I moved the van closer to the building doors and we gathered what we needed for the night. There was no elevator, however there was a ramp, instead of stairs, which did make things easier. We got everything all sorted for our stay and then decided on what to do next. Kids wanted to go swimming. So, they got changed and we made our way to the pool. We were greeted with a birthday party when we arrived. There must have been about 20 kids, not including adults and very loud. DS decided he didn't want to stay, as it was to loud. But we couldn't go back to our room just yet. Apparently, I had left our room card in our room. So, off to the front desk we go and were given a second room card. We also decided to check out the breakfast area. This room was probably larger than the whole lobby from the day before. We headed back to our room. When we got to the pool area we came across the Grandmother of the birthday boy. She asked if we were going into the pool. I mentioned we had thought about it but it was too busy, maybe we would come back late. She admitted it was very busy in there and not everyone would be staying as they were locals. I then asked if she had any suggestions for dinner as we were starting to feel hungry. She gave us a few and we thanked her for the information. However, we didn't go out for dinner either. An advertisement had come on the channel for the season premier of Star Wars Rebels and DS wanted to see it. We ended up making dinner out of what we had in the room until we found out the channel advertising Rebels was not the channel showing it and the hotel didn't provide the needed channel. What to do? Go to the pool. I got changed as well this time as the pool also had a hot tub. The pool area was much quieter this time. Only the birthday boy and his best friend. They were about DS's age. The kids enjoyed themselves. I actually got into a conversation with the 'local' boys. We talked about school systems, weather, Canada, local area and a few other topics. They appeared to be nice boys.

It was now time to exit the pool and turn in for the night. The next morning we got up, got ready and headed to breakfast, not to early. Good thing it was a large room as it was a very busy place. We were able to find a table and there was a very large selection for breakfast. I would say one of the largest selections on our travels. We also ran into the boys and the Grandmother. We greeted them and wished them a nice day. We then packed up the van and checked out.

Off to our last adventure, Hershey Park. Plan was not to go into Hershey Park. How could we? There was no way it was going to compare to where we had just come from. It would be an injustice. The plan was to take a tour of the Hershey Plant. It was a busy place, but we were able to find a parking spot near the building entrance, walked over to the main building and found the entrance for the tour. It was a very long line for the tour, but the good news is it did keep moving. The bad news we found while on the tour and after. This was an informational tour and not a tour of the actually Hershey Factor. Found out from one of the staff, the actual Hershey Factor was just down the street. We decided not to stick around any further and start our final leg home.

I did try to take some pictures, however I apparently forgot to charge the camera battery. Had to settle to using my phone to take pictures. The only problem with this backup plan is I do have difficulty getting the pictures off my camera.

The rest of the trip continued to be uneventful, even at the border. As I was pulling up to the border I was trying to figure out if there was something going on. The three open check points on the right all had 2-4 cars lined up. The check point on the far left had no one. I decided to risk it and slowly move into position on the far left. Almost felt like I had a FP. Pulled right up, asked a few questions, including how much we were bringing back to which I responded about $1000 and we were shortly on our last 40 minutes of our trip.

Home safe and sound we were. The next step was to unload the van which with a little help was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Next and final piece to the report will be the wrap up of the trip.

MySmallWorldof4

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 24 & SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 25 - THE JOURNEY HOME

Well, it is time to finally put this trip report to bed.

We left our stay at the 'Bates Motel' and started on our way to our next location; Harrisburg, PA. This was a planned stop, yeah like non of the others were. Wanted to sneak in one more little adventure before actually getting home. The ride was uneventful, which is always good. We had a little difficulty finding the hotel once we arrived in Harrisburg. There was a conflict in regards to direction between my GPS and our CAA route information. This was not the first time this occurred but at least it was only a couple of times and we did eventually find our destination. Was it another 'Bates Motel'? Luckily it was not. It was a Ramada and from the outside it looked much nicer than our previous stay. We checked in and were given our room key. The lobby was much nicer as well. Things are looking up. The down side was there was no elevator in the building we were staying in, on the second floor. I was not looking forward to taking our stuff up to the second floor up the stairs. I moved the van closer to the building doors and we gathered what we needed for the night. There was no elevator, however there was a ramp, instead of stairs, which did make things easier. We got everything all sorted for our stay and then decided on what to do next. Kids wanted to go swimming. So, they got changed and we made our way to the pool. We were greeted with a birthday party when we arrived. There must have been about 20 kids, not including adults and very loud. DS decided he didn't want to stay, as it was to loud. But we couldn't go back to our room just yet. Apparently, I had left our room card in our room. So, off to the front desk we go and were given a second room card. We also decided to check out the breakfast area. This room was probably larger than the whole lobby from the day before. We headed back to our room. When we got to the pool area we came across the Grandmother of the birthday boy. She asked if we were going into the pool. I mentioned we had thought about it but it was too busy, maybe we would come back late. She admitted it was very busy in there and not everyone would be staying as they were locals. I then asked if she had any suggestions for dinner as we were starting to feel hungry. She gave us a few and we thanked her for the information. However, we didn't go out for dinner either. An advertisement had come on the channel for the season premier of Star Wars Rebels and DS wanted to see it. We ended up making dinner out of what we had in the room until we found out the channel advertising Rebels was not the channel showing it and the hotel didn't provide the needed channel. What to do? Go to the pool. I got changed as well this time as the pool also had a hot tub. The pool area was much quieter this time. Only the birthday boy and his best friend. They were about DS's age. The kids enjoyed themselves. I actually got into a conversation with the 'local' boys. We talked about school systems, weather, Canada, local area and a few other topics. They appeared to be nice boys.

It was now time to exit the pool and turn in for the night. The next morning we got up, got ready and headed to breakfast, not to early. Good thing it was a large room as it was a very busy place. We were able to find a table and there was a very large selection for breakfast. I would say one of the largest selections on our travels. We also ran into the boys and the Grandmother. We greeted them and wished them a nice day. We then packed up the van and checked out.

Off to our last adventure, Hershey Park. Plan was not to go into Hershey Park. How could we? There was no way it was going to compare to where we had just come from. It would be an injustice. The plan was to take a tour of the Hershey Plant. It was a busy place, but we were able to find a parking spot near the building entrance, walked over to the main building and found the entrance for the tour. It was a very long line for the tour, but the good news is it did keep moving. The bad news we found while on the tour and after. This was an informational tour and not a tour of the actually Hershey Factor. Found out from one of the staff, the actual Hershey Factor was just down the street. We decided not to stick around any further and start our final leg home.

I did try to take some pictures, however I apparently forgot to charge the camera battery. Had to settle to using my phone to take pictures. The only problem with this backup plan is I do have difficulty getting the pictures off my camera.

The rest of the trip continued to be uneventful, even at the border. As I was pulling up to the border I was trying to figure out if there was something going on. The three open check points on the right all had 2-4 cars lined up. The check point on the far left had no one. I decided to risk it and slowly move into position on the far left. Almost felt like I had a FP. Pulled right up, asked a few questions, including how much we were bringing back to which I responded about $1000 and we were shortly on our last 40 minutes of our trip.

Home safe and sound we were. The next step was to unload the van which with a little help was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Next and final piece to the report will be the wrap up of the trip.
We live 75 minutes south of Hershey, and yes going to Hershey Park right after a trip to Disney World would have been a let down. The tour also inside Chocolate World got changed as did the layout of Chocolate World, not for the better. It is now more like a big souvenir shop.
I am sad that your TR is almost at its end and I may have to re-read it. :)

Scoppin

Original Poster
We live 75 minutes south of Hershey, and yes going to Hershey Park right after a trip to Disney World would have been a let down. The tour also inside Chocolate World got changed as did the layout of Chocolate World, not for the better. It is now more like a big souvenir shop.
I am sad that your TR is almost at its end and I may have to re-read it. :)

There was a lot of pressure to live up to the standards within this forum. And being a newbie, I was hoping to get close to those standards.

Thank you for following along and the kind words.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Duly noted you yourself are becoming more relaxed with the photo ops.

At first I was making it all about the kids, hence why I mentioned to them to ask the character something unique/different in order to get a better interaction. Then, figured I might as well enjoy it as well as I was there too. I think seeing me enjoy the interactions as well heightened the children's experience. You will notice later in the report, we really got interactive with some of the characters. I think are favourites were Chip & Dale at AK and Woody & Jessie at MK.

Thank you for reading along.

Scoppin

Original Poster
I love your trip report. It is so nicely detailed. You seem to have really lovely kids and they are lucky to have you as there dad. You obviously went through a lot of thought to make a dream trip for them.

Thank you for the kind words.

I will have to admit I did plenty of research into the trip. There are a few things I would have done differently after actually being there, but overall, it was a great trip. I also have to give a lot of credit to all the regular writers on this forum who shared their knowledge with all the tons of questions I asked leading up to our trip. I was nervous and excited at the same time on our way down there as I was really hoping it would turn out to be a fantastic trip and life long memory.

Scoppin

Original Poster
So sad to see your TR coming to an end. Loved reading about your adventures! Your kids are so cute and sweet! Wish our paths crossed at one point while we were there.

Thank you for the nice words and following along.
Yes, it would have been nice to have meet someone I had read their reports.

Trisha Lynn

I remember one of the first times he did something like that on his own without being asked.

I love how your kids are learning that doing good deeds is the reward for doing good deeds. Way to go! I'm so glad that both of them seemed to have a great time, and very concerned about how your son passed out during Space Mountain. Is he okay now?

Scoppin

Original Poster
I love how your kids are learning that doing good deeds is the reward for doing good deeds. Way to go! I'm so glad that both of them seemed to have a great time, and very concerned about how your son passed out during Space Mountain. Is he okay now?

Thank you. Something I wanted to teach them at a young age. And really, it doesn't cost anything to be nice and it can totally change someone's day.

We did. Still talk about it till this day and sure for much longer.

I was a little surprised to hear he had. We took it easy for a while in order for him to get back to normal. He was back to normal before the end of the day. So, it is all good now. Thank you for asking.

Scoppin

Original Poster
This has been a while in getting back here in order to wrap up our trip but here I am and let’s get at it.

We were first timers and were not really aware of what to expect. Well at least the kids were as they didn’t even know we were going. I just did tonnes of research and had a good idea, however nothing beats hands on experience. But I came prepared with my agendas, FP+s, dinner reservations and MDE app all to try to ensure I didn’t forget anything. I was certain if I went in without the above, I would have been like a deer in headlights and miss doing half of what we did. As such, I think we really got a lot accomplished for our first visit.

Magic Kingdom: This is where we spent most of our time, 3 out of our 7 park days. I believe there was only one closure, Big Thunder Mountain (if you don’t include the Tree House), during our visit. There were other closures during our visit, however not for our whole visit so we were able to see them at some point. Good thing I had my MDE app, otherwise would have missed them and allowed me some time to alter our agendas. This was also where we had the majority of our character M&Gs, especially on our first two days. I would say where two of our more enjoyable M&Gs, Gaston and Woody & Jessie, took place. We were able to complete most of the attractions on our first two visits, allowing us to finish up on our third visit and enjoy a few rides a second or third time. I would say the big hits were; Haunted Mansion (after DD got over her fear), Splash Mountain, Buzz Adventure, Monster Laugh Floor and the People Mover. And for DD, Space Mountain. I would have to say, MK was probably the most enjoyed and favourite of the four parks. The park was full; however we were able to maneuver very well around the crowds to where we wanted to go. I still like DS asking how I knew where to go, without the aid of the map for the most part, and replied research, research and more research. Not to mention being able to maximize our FP+ experience to which I believe one day we got up to 9. Mind you, we only got rained on while at MK.

Epcot: We ended up spending a day and half here after finding out the extended hours at Animal Kingdom. The down side of Epcot, and Hollywood Studios for that fact, is the two tier system which makes it difficult to enjoy the tier one attractions on one visit. But we got a little help due to a dinner reservation issue we had. J I would say the favourites here were by far Test Track, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin (after DD got over her fear of being in the air 30 feet). And for DS Mission: Space and for DD Frozen. The kids really enjoyed lunch at the Garden Grill. Even with a day and a half we were not able to see everything, we missed things on the East side and not really able to visit many of the pavilions. Speaking of the World Showcase, Food & Wine Fest was going on and it was busier down there due to it. We were more than happy to spend most of our time away from the WS. This was really the only place I got lost and went for a little detour in going to where we were suppose to go.

Animal Kingdom: This was a one day visit, which we were a little late (according to the agenda) and ended a little early due to a request to go swimming. One attraction was closed, Dinosaur (and we didn’t venture into Dinoland due to time) and we didn’t do Everest. Due to time, we were also not able to take the Tiger Adventure walk. But we were able to do just about everything else. The kids were split upon which show was best. DD liked Lion King and DS liked Nemo. Both liked meeting Baloo & King Louie, surprise guest Governor Ratcliffe and really enjoyed the interaction with Chip & Dale. RofL had still not started so we were not able to have a preview. We all like animals, so we did enjoy the park. Even though we do like animals, I would say Rapids was the highlight, considering we went on it twice without having to get off our raft and sure we would have done it a 3rd or 4th time if they didn’t want to go swimming. Weather wise, this was probably the best day. Overcast and not overly hot. But DS has stated this was his least favourite of the four parks only due to the fact we could see the animals anywhere.

Hollywood Studios: This was also a day and a half visit. The first half day was to clear the way for the Star Wars birthday day. Being a little late at Epcot and getting lost put a little wrench into the plans, missing the Beauty & the Beast Show and the Mermaid ride. But we got every other non Star Wars attraction/M&G in. I do believe nothing was temporarily closed. The tier system didn’t bother us here considering we were not intending on going on either Aerosmith or the TofT. Not to mention the extra FPs we ended up receiving would have helped us by pass any long lines. The weather the first day was overcast as it had just rained but it was hot and sunny the second day. And I didn’t have to get updates from the Weather Channel on this as all I had to do was look at the kids. I could tell the heat was getting to them, especially during the two outdoor Star Wars shows. Favourite attraction, not sure. Thought it would be Toy Story, however after the first ride, DS didn’t want any more. I still think it was because my ride didn’t work and when they offered a replacement ride was told at first DS had to wait to the side until we completed our re run ride. He still states this is not the reason but I do think it did put a damper on the ride. For this and a few other reasons, which I will mention in the birthday wrap up, I believe this was the least favourite park we visited. L

Disney Dining Plan: I know there is debate on if this is worth it or not. This is easier for me to say considering it was included in the package we purchased. I did however, have to purchase a small up charge in order to get an upgrade on our plan to 1 snack, 1 quick service and 1 table service per day per person. For us, I would have to say it did work out in our favour. I am not sure how I would have reacted if I had to pay for each meal we had. We still may still be there waiting for DD to finish her meals. There would not have been any way we would have been leaving the table with the amount of food she left on her plate. We would have lost a lot of park time waiting for her to finish. And I didn’t want to finish off what she had left. I am trying to do the opposite. We also saved on meals by bringing our own breakfast and having it in our room. Not to mention, the time it saved us in the morning. The table services came in very handy especially in getting the number of character meals we were able to get. This did enhance our character experiences. Would I purchase it in the future? Yes, as this would ensure all family members returned home safely. (But I would still like to have it for free.) I couldn’t just sit there and watch half, or more than half, the food go into the trash and then get the Disney bill for the meal. I am sure my stress level would go through the roof worrying about all the money being waste. Would not make for a very stress free trip.

Restaurants: We made great use of our dining plan and ate at a number of different locations. Eight of them being character meals. I was not impressed with the two Princess meals, if I am being honest. The Princesses appeared to be rushed at Akershus and the meal options were not appealing to the kids. The Princesses were more interactive at CRT, but I won’t say it was worth 2 credits. If I was to name our top three it would be; Garden Grill (for both food and character interaction), Hollywood & Vine (mostly for the character interaction and the food selection was okay, but the kids were distracted by the characters) and then Crystal Palace (again mostly for the character interaction). The food court at Sports was busy every time we were there. It didn’t matter what time it was. It was even busy when I went there late night to refill my refillable cup.

Memory Maker: Same debate here as with the free dining, on if it is worth it or not. Maybe it is not worth it if you are there for a short trip and/or taking it slow and easy during the trip. We were not doing either. We had 7 days in the parks and our days were packed to the hilt. There was no slowing down for us, well maybe a little here and there. But our goal was to get in as much as we could, and in some cases more than one, in the time we were there. A number of attractions take photo shots while you are on the rides, however most the majority of Memory Maker opportunities come either from the special scenic locations or character M&Gs. There are Photopass Photographers throughout the parks, in special scenic locations, and I was surprised as to how many we actually ended up getting. But this was not where we utilized MM the most. I haven’t spoken about our M&Gs as of yet, it is coming, but this is where we fully utilized MM. There were not many M&Gs that we missed. My total picture count for the trip was a little over 3000, with approximately 1000 coming from MM. I am not ashamed to admit that the majority of the pictures used in my trip report were MM pictures. They just came out better/clearer than mine in most cases. Not all, but most. We also didn’t come across any ‘distracted’ Photographers either, which made it more enjoyable. The most beneficially aspect of MM in my opinion, would be the fact I was actually in the pictures. I don’t have many pictures of me and the kids. I am usually behind the camera, not in front of it. Not only the above, but it also allowed me to be involved with our trip and help enhance our family experience. The children still bring up some of our experiences and the way I ‘behaved’. Such as making Donald jealous or spraying down the Chipmunks. These all allowed for better memories and for this reason alone, I would have to say MM was worth every penny and would seriously consider getting it again.

Magic Bands: Really have nothing to compare with the old system as this was our first visit. We did have a few hiccups with them. The kids were not able to open our door the first night, but this was fixed that night and didn’t have any issue in this area afterwards. DD had issues entering the parks for the first 2-4 days. But think we found out why, had to use the same finger when checking into the parks. I don’t think we knew that, just DS and I ended up using the same finger. DD kept switching. No more issues once this was explained. The kids really enjoyed turning Mickey’s head green each time we went through the FP+ gates. Personally, it was nice not having to worry about which pocket your keys/credit card was in or digging into your backpack and for those affected, purse. It was just there on your wrist. Kind of hard to lose it.

FP+: Again, can’t really compare it to the previous system, just how it affected our trip. The two tier system at Epcot and Hollywood Studios could use a little adjusting, especially with Star Wars Land coming to Hollywood Studios. Not sure how that is going to affect the current system. It takes a little more planning/park hopping to be able to see the ‘main’ attractions. Personally, if I am in a park I want to stay there and get as much of it done as I can. I don’t want to ‘waste’ my time waiting for a bus and in transit. Just appears to be a waste of time when I can be enjoying a few attractions during that period of time. Not to mention, more security screening. This plan is fine if you plan on going back to your resort to rest/sleep and go back to the parks in the afternoon/evening. For us, things worked out very for these two parks. Mind you, we did have a little help with both in order to get around the tier system. ;) We fully utilized the ability to book our first 3 FP+s per park per day and then acquiring further FP+s after the 3. There were a few times we were not able to get what we wanted but there were other options. The best was being able to avoid some of those lines, even it was only 10 minutes. And I did take full advantage of the extra FP+s, believe was able to get a total of 6 extra FP+s one day while at MK. I would call that a good day.

MDE App: I will be honest; I don’t have many apps on my phone. Mainly because I don’t have a data plan. But I had to get it, not to mention, upgrade my phone, in order to help make the trip less stressful. There were a few days, in which there were connection issues. But even with the connection issues at AK, was still able to reorganize our day and dinner reservations in order to honour someone’s request to leave early to go swimming. Used it a little to see wait times and M&G locations, but the biggest use came in getting extra FP+s.

Missed Attractions: To be honest there was not much we missed. There were a few closures: Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, Big Thunder Mountain (not that we were planning on going on but would take some pressure off some of the other attractions) and Dinosaur. MK we only missed Astro Obiter and Mad Tea Party and these were due to DS stating he didn’t want to spin as hurts his head. I can relate. No plans for the Hall of Presidents. There was also the Royal Faire and Shake it, Move it Dance Party (which we did catch the tail end of one show) but this was because it was just too warm to stand around and watch a show in the middle of a large crowd under the hot sun. There was also the Pirate Adventure, Pirate Tutorial and the Scorcher’s adventure. These were suggested but rejected. All in all, I would think we did very well. And there were a number we did more than once. Hollywood Studios we did well as well. No plans for Great Movie Ride, One Man’s Dream, Disney JRs, TofT or Areosmith. We did however miss the Mermaid ride, the Beauty & the Beast show and the Star Wars fireworks show. Animal Kingdom, I would say we did okay considering the last minute changes made to appease a little someone. Everest and DinoLand (the Boneyard, Tricera Top Spin and Primeval Whirl) were not on the agenda and the only thing missed was Maharajah Jungle Trek. Epcot was probably where we missed the most, but we got in all the Tier 1 attractions. J Adjustments were made here as well as we had a very productive first visit. Kids wanted to see Ellen for the second visit to the park and the 45 minute ride ended up taking a lot of time which may have been used for the other missed attractions, but I was here to make the kids happy and give them the most magical experience they could have. So, to this end we missed; Living with the Land, Figment, Image Works and the Short Film Festival. We also didn’t spend any time in the World Showcase Pavilions. We did try the Agent P Adventure, however had issues with the upload and were unable to accomplish our mission.

Transportation: We parked the van and utilized WDW transportation for our trip. We used the ferry once to get from Hollywood Studios to Epcot. We did miss the one ferry due to the line; however another was not far behind. It was crowded though. Standing room only. Used the monorail twice; to get to the Contemporary for dinner with Chef Mickey and then back to MK. The only issue we had was getting on the wrong side of the platform, but still managed not to miss the next monorail. So, this was more due to rookie error than issue with the monorail. So, unlike some, we had no issues with our use of the monorail. Must have been beginner’s luck. Other than the two above occasions, we mainly used the bus services. I don’t remember waiting for any long extended periods of time, even though it may have felt like it. Maybe 10 minutes most of the time. Most the times when heading to the parks the buses were full. Many times returning to the hotel they were bare to the point one time we almost had it all to ourselves and once we did actually have the bus to ourselves. I was not sure how smooth or long the rides were going to be but I really can’t complain with the outcome. I have no issue, if we are able to go back, to park and bus for the trip.

All Star Sports: All Star Sports, as most of you know, is a value resort hotel. This was our first visit to WDW and to be honest we were not planning on spending much time in our room. It was mostly a place to sleep and store our belongings. It may be easier to do the above as we were only a family of three. We each had our own drawer to store our clothing. It was nice to have a table and two chairs to have breakfast in the morning and for me to do some late night planning for the next day. Fridge to keep our drinks/milk cold. Really the only thing I would have liked to have would have been a coffee maker in order to make hot water for the oatmeal. But I brought my own; thanks to some advice receive here. With only three of us, one was able to sleep alone every 3rd night. We really didn’t explore the grounds until our last night, but didn’t really need to as we had a pool almost right outside our door. I am sure the kids would have spent more time in the water if they could. I had requested two things for our room; top floor (don’t like noise from above) and close to the main building (just in case running behind and not having to rush to the bus stop) and was given both. Plus the added bonus of a nearby pool. The only negative thing I would comment would be the food court. It was always busy in there, no matter the time. It was hard to find a table at times. And the lines for food. I remember one time the kids decided to eat something else so we were in two different lines. They were done long before I was. It was just taking so long in order to get a burger. Think they could expand/add more tables and expand the food prep area in order to prepare the food faster. I think waiting 30 minutes (at least) is a little long. I know it may be a little hard to plan what people are going to prefer on a given day and time, but there are patterns to work from. And I know it was busy this day as finding a try was a hard thing to do as well. Bottom line, it fulfilled our needs and allowed us to be able to afford to stay longer to help ensure we were able to do as much as we could. I did look into staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, so DD could wake up to giraffes in the yards, however this would have doubled if not almost tripled the cost of our trip. So, decided to go back to the value resort and increase our stay from 5 days in the parks to 7. I think this was a very good decision and it did allow us to do what we wanted without being overly rushed.

Disappointments: Can’t say I have many. Not having our raincoats on our first night may be one. Agent P Adventures not working another. Animal Kingdom backstage tour being way too expensive, definitely. (But the kids did love our little adventure to Tampa/Bush Gardens.) The lack of consistent Wi-Fi in the parks to stay connected to MDE app. Food lines at the Sports food court. Being on time/early for dinner reservations and still having to wait; guess issue here is the added affect to our plans after our meal. Biggest one for sure would be new video cards for the camera not working in one camera especially during the recording of the kids’ interaction with Gaston. DS wanted to get him going so we would get a good video to post, similar to some he had seen. Unfortunately, it kept crashing and I had to finally use the older smaller capacity cards. (Glad I brought them along with me and they had enough storage capacity to last for our WDW visit and just maxed out in Hershey.) I know the kids were both disappointed not to have dueled Darth Vader. DS still brings up his disappointment with DD on her being tired our first night and not being able to see Boo-To-You Halloween Parade. He really wanted to see the headless horseman. I can say with 100% certainty, the greatest disappointment was having to leave WDW. DS to this day still states, out of the blue; he wishes he was back in WDW as he misses it so much. DD would have one extra disappointment, not really WDW related, she still has not flown on a plane yet. She really wants to fly, however I did explain to her that if we had flown we won’t have been able to do/see everything we did on our way to WDW. This did make her understand and happy we drove.

Autographs/Pictures: These were high on our list of things to do. Main reason for purchasing extra camera cards, getting Memory Maker and getting the kids their own autograph kits which included; 3”x6” cards, fine & large point markers in various colours, mini characters and clipboard. DS wanted to see and get Mickey’s autograph. I think he accomplished this, to a total of 8 times. And of course DD’s main goal would be the Princesses. With the exception of Princess Sofia, she was able to get all of them. That would be all 13, with some twice, three and even four times. Okay, maybe it is more like 12 Princesses and 1 Queen. And Elena was not signing/had a scheduled M&G at this time, which if she had we would have visited as well. DD likes watching her show. If you were counting, throughout this report or even if you weren’t, you probably noticed we didn’t miss many characters. It would probably be quicker to list who we didn’t see/get autographs from then those we did. We did have a few meeting of rare characters such as; The Genie, Terk, Captain Jack Sparrow and Governor Ratcliffe to which they still speak how rare/special they are. There were a few characters we meet who were not able to sign or were just to mean to; Baymax, Jaffer, King Louie, Chewbacca and Kylo Ren. I think it was only those five. I could share the number of pictures I had develop for each of the kids for their autograph albums, to give you a good picture as to how many autographs/pictures the kids were able to get. Their total pictures developed we approximately 85. This is not total. This is individual. Meaning DD had about 85 pictures and DS had about 85 pictures. And some of these pictures were group pictures, such as; Tarzan, Lady Jane and Terk, which would have three different autographs to go with one picture. I would say we were really successful in this category. But apparently not successful enough, or is that too successful, the kids want to get more autographs and pictures if we were able to go back.

MNSSHP: This was a first for us. Well, really wasn’t everything. Two of our disappointments came on this night; getting drenched during a mini monsoon and missing the boo-to-you parade. There was at least a positive on getting drenched; we never forgot our raincoats the rest of our trip and were able to score some extra paper FPs. We only took part in a few of the trick or treating stations as in all honestly, we would be doing this back home in about a month’s time and not like characters were handing out the candy. No offense to any CMs. So, it was decided our time would be better spent doing things we won’t be able to accomplish back home, such as; going on rides and meeting special characters. Now that I am thinking about it, more meeting characters and less rides. We only went on one ride and waited in four slow moving M&G lines. The kids enjoyed one extra ride as I held our spot to see Jaffer. Not sure if the extra ticket fee justified our experience. Maybe if we stayed a little longer. The kids enjoyed it, so that is all that matters. The kids will have a say on our agenda, if there is a next time, which will include when and where.

Birthday: I didn’t think this day was as enjoyed when it came to an end. It was all about DS; Indiana Jones, Toy Story and especially Star Wars. Between not dueling Darth Vader, his experience at Toy Story Mania and the heat affecting them between the two outdoor shows, I thought for sure it didn’t come up to what I had hoped. I know what you are all thinking; a birthday at WDW is better than anywhere else. However, when enquiring which of the parks the kids enjoyed DS mentioned HS was up near the top because of his birthday events. I told him it made me feel better as I thought for sure he didn’t enjoy it. He reassured me that he did. We did end the night on a good note; a group picture of all the characters at Hollywood & Vine.

Final Thoughts: It would be nice to be able to go back, however due to many factors may be unlikely. However, after this learning experience, I would probably do things a little differently. But it will all depend when we go, what is going on and how long we stay; such as more park hopping to maximize FPs and enjoying the most liked rides/attractions. I am really glad I did all the research I did before hand and prepared our agendas, but it really is eye opening actually being there. It did allow our trip to be less stressful; less worrying about what to do/what we were missing and more enjoying what the parks had to offer. I am glad I expanded our trip to 7 days from 5, also allowing us to fully enjoy the parks. It was a goal of mine to make this trip a surprise for the kids, as the title of this report states. And if anyone has viewed the video of our entry into WDW, near the beginning of the report, would know this goal was accomplished. DS has stated that when he asked if we were going into WDW I should have replied ‘No, we are planning on coming next year so we are going home.’ I told him I had actually thought of saying that but thought I had been ‘mean’ enough during the trip. But clearly the main goal was for the kids to have a fantastic time. So, the big question is; did they? DS has stated he has forgotten parts of memories of some of our other adventures; however he can remember all the details of this trip. Include the constant random ‘outbursts’ of wishing they were back at WDW, I would say this was a trip the kids truly enjoyed and should have memories of, for a very long time. A trip full of magic and memories to last a life time.

I would like to finish by saying thank you to everyone who helped make our trip as enjoyable as it was, by sharing your knowledge and experiences with this novice WDW visitor, as well as others. And thank you to those who followed my report and for all the kind words and support for my posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom