Surprise emailed ride photos

Becky

Original Poster
We rode Space Mountain and Test Track WITHOUT using FP, Magic Bands or Photo Pass. When we got home I got an email with ride photos of us on Test Track and Space Mountain. We do have "My Disney Experience" but we have not had a photo pass in years. So how did they send us a ride photo? Face recognition software better than the FBI and NSA?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We rode Space Mountain and Test Track WITHOUT using FP, Magic Bands or Photo Pass. When we got home I got an email with ride photos of us on Test Track and Space Mountain. We do have "My Disney Experience" but we have not had a photo pass in years. So how did they send us a ride photo? Face recognition software better than the FBI and NSA?
Did you have a magic band with you at all?

JohnD

Yeah. After exiting SM, I decided I liked that photo and bought the "download" only version. When I got home and logged onto MDE, I noticed there were photos of me not only on SM but EV, Dinosaur, and SplM, among others.
Granted I could still download the SM photo already because I had paid in the park, but if I had already known that all photos would be sent to my account, I wouldn't have paid at all in the park and could decide later I wanted to pay for a download. The lesson here -- don't worry about not being able to get the photo thinking "it's now or never." It will be waiting for you for the next 60 days.

Sassagoula-Rvr

WOW! I didn't notice that...they have on ride photos from Space Mt and Rockin Roller Coaster from our trip in Nov. That is crazy cool!! And for folks wondering how Disney is going to recoup the Next gen investment...it's things like this..."oh...you didn't buy the on ride photo in the park??...don't worry about it...you can buy later when you're missing the trip and would like a little memory!" I'm sure there are more things such as this that will make it easier to buy things...I will be honest...I never stop and buy one unless it's really funny...because I just want to get out and do something else...if I can buy them from comfort of my own home...no line...you bet I will probably purchase more.

I think the marketing of NGE is a little gimmicky...but overall...when everything is done...I think it will be cool. But you don't try to market an infrastructure improvement as an attraction...ideally...

MarkTwain

Yeah. After exiting SM, I decided I liked that photo and bought the "download" only version. When I got home and logged onto MDE, I noticed there were photos of me not only on SM but EV, Dinosaur, and SplM, among others.
Granted I could still download the SM photo already because I had paid in the park, but if I had already known that all photos would be sent to my account, I wouldn't have paid at all in the park and could decide later I wanted to pay for a download. The lesson here -- don't worry about not being able to get the photo thinking "it's now or never." It will be waiting for you for the next 60 days.

You still made the right choice buying the download option. The long-range photo adding is still very experimental, so the only way to be sure to have the ride photo is to buy it.

Mad Stitch

The lesson here -- don't worry about not being able to get the photo thinking "it's now or never." It will be waiting for you for the next 60 days.

If it's anything like the photos they take during a runDisney event, it will go on beyond 60 days. Even after opting out of future advertisement's, they just keep nagging, and nagging...

JohnD

Nope. They sent me warnings. It's been 60 days and now they're gone. I get it, though. If they offer this to every guest, the photos can't stay on forever. They need to free up server space.

dreamfinder

What happens if you try to download one of the ones you didn't pay for? Does it ask you to pay? Or let you download them?

If it's anything like the photos they take during a runDisney event, it will go on beyond 60 days. Even after opting out of future advertisement's, they just keep nagging, and nagging...

Nah. PhotoPass expires when they say it will expire. There is a bit of a grace period where the PhotoPass staff can restore them for you, but nothing at all like MarathonFoto.

Florida_is_hot

Big Brother strikes again, I am learning with stories like this to distrust the Disney Company.
I want pictures I will buy them, how dare they SPAM me after my vacation offering me a chance to buy pictures I never asked for.

JohnD

What happens if you try to download one of the ones you didn't pay for? Does it ask you to pay? Or let you download them?

Yes. You are prompted to pay. If already paid and downloaded, the photo is placed in a "download" folder always accessible.

dreamfinder

Yes. You are prompted to pay. If already paid and downloaded, the photo is placed in a "download" folder always accessible.

Thanks for the confirming. I wasn't sure it was going to be like the edits of ride photos that get automatically added to the download after the edit.

JohnD

Thanks for the confirming. I wasn't sure it was going to be like the edits of ride photos that get automatically added to the download after the edit.

Just checked. My SM photo, for which I paid "download only" after exiting SM, is no longer visible along with all other ride photos I was on. (I had already downloaded it previously). If you have already purchased a photo, make sure you download it within 30 days (correcting my own error of 60) also. That, too, disappears.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Big Brother strikes again, I am learning with stories like this to distrust the Disney Company.
I want pictures I will buy them, how dare they SPAM me after my vacation offering me a chance to buy pictures I never asked for.
So, you probably get real irritated if you have a "free" email account with any if the main stream providers since they scan your email then spam you based on content.

Florida_is_hot

So, you probably get real irritated if you have a "free" email account with any if the main stream providers since they scan your email then spam you based on content.

And what does this have to do with Disney ???
I love it when people drop in with totally unrelated tidbit; if I was on a "main stream provider" forum whatever a "main stream provider" is, I may comment.

Also totally related to my reply it is wrong when the food you order at a restaurant does not match the picture in the ad......

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
And what does this have to do with Disney ???
I love it when people drop in with totally unrelated tidbit; if I was on a "main stream provider" forum whatever a "main stream provider" is, I may comment.

Also totally related to my reply it is wrong when the food you order at a restaurant does not match the picture in the ad......
You expressed irritation with being spammed. I was just curious if it was only Disney spam or any spam in general.

Florida_is_hot

You expressed irritation with being spammed. I was just curious if it was only Disney spam or any spam in general.

Like I said it not SPAM thread, FYI I get little.

Avoid websites that are prone to SPAM, never allow a program access to personal information and block any rare thing that makes it through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom