Superstar TV

KDM31091

Original Poster
Is Superstar Television/Doug Live in MGM still empty? Any projects on the drawing board yet?

I remember being there last summer. The last time I was there was when they had closed Superstar and were building Doug. Anyways, I realized that the empty building is pretty darn noticeable and derelict looking. You can see right into it.

The room that the stairs out front lead to--was that the preshow area? It's just an empty room now as far as I can see. Is the actual theater still back there and stuff? Did they tear it out? Is that why nothing new is happening?

I read online that they had some "Get Happy with ABC" show in there after Doug Live, but I'm not sure if I read it wrong or something.

So any answers to my (weird) questions?

DisneyMusician2

It is empty. EMPTY! I say bring back Superstar TV in some form, it was a lot of fun! As was the Monster Sound Studio, SOOOOOO much better than "Sounds Dangerous". The only thing that Sounds Dangerous is going to see it more than once.

tink81

Not sure about current or future plans for the building, but the "room" you can see as you walk by is the pre-show area and it was always open-air. This is where the CMs pick the "stars" for the actual show.

uontplano

I remember Superstar Television very well. Back when it was around, I was selected for two parts:

Baseball Player - I remember it was Johnny Carson (I think) asked how I've been hitting all of these homeruns, and my line was: "I'm not sure, I just close my eyes and swing"

Bonanza: I just remember having to wave my hat around.

Good Times:wave:

Jerm

Is Superstar Television/Doug Live in MGM still empty? Any projects on the drawing board yet?

I have a few project I have done for it, but those pesky folks at WDI wont let me start building any of my own projects in there:shrug:

J

Figment82

They still use it for various events, namely the Little Ones Playhouse Disney Concert Series last August/September and again this year. But I agree, that area needs lots of TLC.

I personally don't see why they couldn't bring back Superstar in some form using scenes from Grey's, Desperate Housewives, Lost, etc. How many women would kill to be in a scene with McDreamy? It is still a fun concept, especially now that Disney is on such an interactive experience kick.

KDM31091

Original Poster
Just saw a video of Doug Live, and I wondered why they closed it after only 2 years? It seemed like a decent show.

DisneyChik17

Just saw a video of Doug Live, and I wondered why they closed it after only 2 years? It seemed like a decent show.

The Doug "franchise" lost popularity. Most kids now don't even know who he is or that he, Skeeter, and Patty had a show following their lives. Kind of sad actually, it was a good show.

darthjohnny

I remember being there last summer. The last time I was there was when they had closed Superstar and were building Doug. Anyways, I realized that the empty building is pretty darn noticeable and derelict looking. You can see right into it.

The room that the stairs out front lead to--was that the preshow area? It's just an empty room now as far as I can see. Is the actual theater still back there and stuff? Did they tear it out? Is that why nothing new is happening?

I read online that they had some "Get Happy with ABC" show in there after Doug Live, but I'm not sure if I read it wrong or something.

So any answers to my (weird) questions?

That preshow area you are talking about was always outside like that.

I don't know about that ABC show, unless you're confusing it with the 1 Saturday Morning ABC show that used to be where Sounds Dangerous is now.

I haven't heard of any current projects for that building.

But they do occasionally use the ABC Theater for special events, like the "Behind the Force" and "Stars of the Saga" celebrity talk show for Star Wars Weekends. :wave: :)

njblackberry

I loved Superstar TV

I took the pie in the face in the Three Stooges bit.

"Dinner Is Served" was my line.

Ahh - my 15 minutes of fame. More like 30 seconds....

Oh, I got the pie in the face as well! There was also a second line of dialogue I recall : "Gentlemen, PLEASE!" I can still remember kinda freaking out backstage after my so-called friends volunteered me for the role and wondering how I was going to memorize "all" of this stuff and not just stand there standing frozen staring into space. Thank God there were cue cards ...

autumndawn1006

That was a great show. I got to be part of the Cheers skit with my dad and to this day if we ever order beer at a restaraunt one of us will say, "It's my birthday, how about a free drink?"

Stormy Horizons

Ah yes, Superstar Television. Good times :) I was picked three times: Once as the Three STooges' Butler (Got a free piece of pie out of the deal), Once as the detective on the Golden Girls, and the very last time, as Al Borland. Fun, fun, fun times. :)

DisneyMusician2

They really could bring this back with some current TV shows and even add some fun ones from shows of the past....the push seems to be interactive attractions, and this would certainly qualify. But so would a return of Monster Sounds Stage, or something like it. Two attractions that should NEVER have been pulled in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom