News Sunglass Hut opens in EPCOT's World Celebration Gardens

Epcot82Guy

Not ideal, but a Sunglass Hut off to the side of the garden is a major improvement from a rundown pin trading kiosk as the centerpiece.

While I hear what you are saying, I don't think that's a fair comparison. This is part of a garden that took years to design and build with a budget in the 10s of millions (if not higher), where integrated retail was a known requirement since day one to even the most casual of guest. And even the pin trading kiosk had more architectural interest than these generic kiosks. (In fact, most Food and Wine kiosks have more architectural interest than these). This is a massive disappointment when viewed as part of Epcot's "transformation". I'm actually wondering if these were added by Ops, and WDI effectively washed their hands of this project.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
While I hear what you are saying, I don't think that's a fair comparison. This is part of a garden that took years to design and build with a budget in the 10s of millions (if not higher), where integrated retail was a known requirement since day one to even the most casual of guest. And even the pin trading kiosk had more architectural interest than these generic kiosks. (In fact, most Food and Wine kiosks have more architectural interest than these). This is a massive disappointment when viewed as part of Epcot's "transformation". I'm actually wondering if these were added by Ops, and WDI effectively washed their hands of this project.
Well the ability to position kiosks was put in place by the designers. All of the utility to support them was in place from day one. It wasn't like ops dragged a power cord from Creations Shop and dropped in the kiosks.

Andrew25

Those kiosks are rather hidden from main paths, I'd imagine they won't do much sales and hope they get relocated elsewhere. I think this area is prime for more seating.

Brian

Well the ability to position kiosks was put in place by the designers. All of the utility to support them was in place from day one. It wasn't like ops dragged a power cord from Creations Shop and dropped in the kiosks.
I wish they would have put the same attention to design into the kiosks as they did the rest of the area. IIRC, Zach (or one of the other Imagineers) did a lengthy Instagram post about the design of the rainbow prism lamp shades, yet they couldn't be bothered to design a kiosk that doesn't look like it's plucked straight from the Disney Springs marketplace?

I take no issue with retail space in this area. It should just fit the part.

Epcot82Guy

Haha. I should clarify... Those spaces are definitely 100% designed for kiosks. I am wondering if WDI left Ops to pay for design services for basic kiosks - vs. making the kiosks (which were absolutely a known part of the plan) something WDI intentionally designed. It looks like a highly designed, highly expensive kitchen where they left the tenants to purchase whatever appliances they could afford. But, to your point, I don't think we've gone full Home Depot orange extension cords in design... at least not yet.

@Brian did a much better job of stating my point than I did.

Andrew25

Not a fan of the kiosk, but the area was designed perfectly for them, and (even though the shell of the kiosk doesn't fit well), it doesn't look temporary or feel shoe-horned in like the other festival locations.

Don't mind a kiosk there... but it's a very odd for one as it's not an obvious/easily accessible location. I can understand a food booth there, people will find a way to eat, but it's an easy skip for merchandise.

MrPromey

So cheap looking too! Looks like it’s made to be swapped out easily but why?
So they can replace it with this for the Food and Wine festival, silly!

IMG_5379.jpeg

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Not ideal, but a Sunglass Hut off to the side of the garden is a major improvement from a rundown pin trading kiosk as the centerpiece.
I actually disagree - that pin trading store was a fun place to stop and see unique Disney merchandise and the electronic times guide was quite helpful as you entered the park.

BuddyThomas

I may have missed it, but I don’t recall people having conniption fits when they stuck Starbucks and McDonalds fries in the parks.

Disstevefan1

I may have missed it, but I don’t recall people having conniption fits when they stuck Starbucks and McDonalds fries in the parks.
I cant speak for conniption fits as I never had one, but the guest experience aside, Disney LOVES TO BE THE LANDLORD! Disney doesn't care about the guest experience or if the hut sells a single pair of sunglasses as long as they PAY THE RENT ;)

Lilofan

I cant speak for conniption fits as I never had one, but the guest experience aside, Disney LOVES TO BE THE LANDLORD! Disney doesn't care about the guest experience or if the hut sells a single pair of sunglasses as long as they PAY THE RENT ;)
Sunglass Hut has a Mickey and Minnie Wayfarer line of shades $182 each. SH will make money at Epcot that’s for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom