Suggestions: Hollywood Studios or Boardwalk

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
On others posts for food recommendations I noticed a theme - no one likes to eat in Hollywood Studios. Is it worth the time to leave and take a boat ride to the Boardwalk to eat? I've never been to the Boardwalk. Any suggestions? Any special events during the Christmas season?

Sweet Melissa

I don't think I could stay in Hollywood Studios from open to close if I tried, so I think leaving for a meal is a great idea. Anything at the Swan or Dolphin is worth a visit, as is Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. If you do want to stay in Hollywood Studios, though, the Brown Derby is my favorite in-park restaurant in any of the four parks.

ABQ

Last year, just before Christmas, I was able to take in the early Fantasmic, get on the 2nd boat leaving the Studios dock after the show let out and make it to my reservation at Todd English's BlueZoo @ the Swan (or is the Dolphin, either way, same boat stop) If you can't or don't want to hit up the Flying Fish, as that's quickly nearing the top of my list of awesome restaurants on property, please look to Bluezoo, as it's very, very good.

jpittore1

The boat ride is worth restaurant upgrade. The Flying Fish is a great recommendation. Our family has eaten at most of the signature restaurants, but we are not fans of the Brown Derby. If we eat inside HS, we typically eat at Mama Melrose for lunch to receive the Fantasmic seating. Mama Melrose is very similar to Olive Garden quality for Italian food.

EricJ

On others posts for food recommendations I noticed a theme - no one likes to eat in Hollywood Studios. Is it worth the time to leave and take a boat ride to the Boardwalk to eat? I've never been to the Boardwalk. Any suggestions? Any special events during the Christmas season?

Hollywood has three good sit-down restaurants, a high-end, a kiddy buffet, and lots and LOTS of QS/snack stands. Like MK before BoG, it just wasn't a place you went to eat.

That said, most people go straight for Sci-Fi Dine-In; I've been to 50's Prime Time but not to Mama Melrose's yet (what's the "theme"?), and Hollywood Brown Derby is pretty good, ie. not as intimidatingly snooty as it sounds.
Don't know if they're worth a special trip, but some are fun if you're planning the day there.

USAF79

Idk been too all the sit downs and enjoyed them all for their individual charm and different food styles. Brown derby was a great high end meal. But everyone has their own opinion. Opinions are like .......

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
How long is the boat ride to the Boardwalk or the resorts? I know Cat Cora's will be closed in the fall. Is there another restaurant that is worth taking the time away from the park (especially during Christmas)?

lunchbox1175

I guess it all depends on what kind of meal you are wanting. If you are wanting something casual then Sci-Fi, 50's Primetime Café, Brown Derby, and Mama Melrose are pretty good options for dining at HS, so if you don't want to leave, I would choose one of those. Flying Fish and ESPN are the best options at the Boardwalk...in our experience Big River Grille is terrible, the food is ok, but the service is awful. Kouzinna will be closing soon. BlueZoo is great, but for me its a place that I wouldn't wear my park clothes and would want to clean up a bit before going, so it wouldn't be a leave the park...go eat...go back to the park kinda place. We often take the boat to the boardwalk and then take a bus to DTD for a meal when we just can't decide what we want.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
I guess it all depends on what kind of meal you are wanting. If you are wanting something casual then Sci-Fi, 50's Primetime Café, Brown Derby, and Mama Melrose are pretty good options for dining at HS, so if you don't want to leave, I would choose one of those. Flying Fish and ESPN are the best options at the Boardwalk...in our experience Big River Grille is terrible, the food is ok, but the service is awful. Kouzinna will be closing soon. BlueZoo is great, but for me its a place that I wouldn't wear my park clothes and would want to clean up a bit before going, so it wouldn't be a leave the park...go eat...go back to the park kinda place. We often take the boat to the boardwalk and then take a bus to DTD for a meal when we just can't decide what we want.

You know, I never thought of that. Maybe I can convince my wife to eat at ESPN so I can watch the EAGLES beat the Redskins!

lunchbox1175

You know, I never thought of that. Maybe I can convince my wife to eat at ESPN so I can watch the EAGLES beat the Redskins!
lol.....we often go in the middle of the afternoon, and they sometimes have some fun sports trivia, I have won a couple of ESPN shirts and glasses....Splitsville at DTD is also a great place to watch NFL games if you want, the rest of the family can bowl while you concentrate on your team, so its a win-win.

steamboatjosh

I loved eating at The 50's Prime Time Cafe and the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. I thought the food was good and the atmosphere is great. Hollywood Brown Derby is supposed to be great and is something I'm forward to on our trip this year. I definitely don't think that you need to leave Hollywood Studios to get a good meal. Give some of them a try.

EvilQueen-T

If we stay inside dhs we eat at brown derby otherwise we too like heading over to the boardwalk area to flying fish (bwi), yachtsman's steakhouse (yacht club), blue zoo or shula's (swan and dolphin). My sister really likes Cape May but I haven't been personally. We don't always take the boat but often walk. The boat can be really slow.

NiarrNDisney

Though there are a few places that are great to eat at in DHS I personally feel it is worth the short trip to dine at any of the restaurants found among the Crescent Lake resorts.
Some of my favorites are:

__Crescent Lake__

Big River Grill & Brew Works (BWR)
BlueZoo (Dolphin)
Boardwalk Bakery (BWR)
Boardwalk To Go (BWR)
Cabana Bar & Beach Club
Crew's Cup (YCR)
ESPN Club (BWR)
Fountain (Dolphin)
Hurricane Hanna's (Y&BCR)
Kimonos (Swan)

__DHS__

Backlot Express
Hollywood Brown Derby
Mama Melrose's
Starring Rolls
Studio Catering Co

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom