Studio Backlot Tour to close for a near two month refurbishment in early 2014

vonpluto

Osborne Lights were great on Residential Street

1995-87-.jpg
1995-91-.jpg

ADP2

Could happen, but I don't think so...not yet. It eats a lot of people, for a lot of time. And that park needs people eaters.

And if they just get rid of the "backlot" part of the name, and call it what it is...a short course in movie magic...then it wouldn't be misnamed. Water effects, then props in the warehouse, then props in the boneyard, a view into a costuming department and a set construction space, roll through two big outdoor sets (LMA and Cat Canyon), big outdoor disaster effects, and then to view props from award winners in the AFI showcase. It's stale in parts, but it's a good little window into a movie-making, and works thematically for the park.

My guess is that it comes back, with a little sprucing up (but not much), so that it can continue to eat people for another 3-4 years until the space is needed for construction. I wouldn't be shocked if it stayed closed, but while the WoL and 20K closures always seemed to be more or less permanent from the beginning, this one doesn't strike me as such.

Good point. It is a people eater and creates less wait times at popular attractions. I could see the day when this attraction becomes seasonal until they decided to green light another project to replace it. Or, in TDO talk, until they rasie enough money to green light another project.

AceGizmoBoy

It does take up a positively gargantuan amount of real estate, though, even before you factor in the car rehearsal lot behind Pixar Place.
Other than the safari at Animal Kingdom, I can't think of another attraction that eats up so much land.

It really does. BLT, along with the LMA practice lot, takes up roughly 500k sq. feet and the majority of that is just concrete road. There is so much potential there to make it a true "backlot" experience if TDO thinks it's worth the investment.

ExtinctJenn

It really does. BLT, along with the LMA practice lot, takes up roughly 500k sq. feet and the majority of that is just concrete road. There is so much potential there to make it a true "backlot" experience if TDO thinks it's worth the investment.
The problem is... it was a true backlot experience and they removed it to put in LMA. Granted they also had good justification since the property was no longer a real working studio but that's a whole other topic. LOL

AceGizmoBoy

The problem is... it was a true backlot experience and they removed it to put in LMA. Granted they also had good justification since the property was no longer a real working studio but that's a whole other topic. LOL

Very true. But you'd figure that, after the installation of LMA, BLT would be compensated with some fanciful additions regardless of the fact it wasn't a working studio anymore, especially since they planned on keeping it around. Alas, it got left in the dust. Haha.

Goofnut1980

And while I am not a super fan of the hat... I will take it over that god-awful stage they put infront that blocks half of it... it looks hodgepodge.

willtravel

Could happen, but I don't think so...not yet. It eats a lot of people, for a lot of time. And that park needs people eaters.

And if they just get rid of the "backlot" part of the name, and call it what it is...a short course in movie magic...then it wouldn't be misnamed. Water effects, then props in the warehouse, then props in the boneyard, a view into a costuming department and a set construction space, roll through two big outdoor sets (LMA and Cat Canyon), big outdoor disaster effects, and then to view props from award winners in the AFI showcase. It's stale in parts, but it's a good little window into a movie-making, and works thematically for the park.

My guess is that it comes back, with a little sprucing up (but not much), so that it can continue to eat people for another 3-4 years until the space is needed for construction. I wouldn't be shocked if it stayed closed, but while the WoL and 20K closures always seemed to be more or less permanent from the beginning, this one doesn't strike me as such.
Maybe it's just a cost cutting measure since Jan/Feb is a slow time.

For me, the only problem I have with the attraction is the props in the warehouse. I never get to look around. The line moves so quickly that I never get to look at anything really in there. I still think it i/was such a good idea for an area/attractions. Just wish it would not have changed. I would have thought with how much the cost of living is in Ca, taxes,, etc,, that Fl would have been a viable option for at least some real working studios.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
And while I am not a super fan of the hat... I will take it over that god-awful stage they put infront that blocks half of it... it looks hodgepodge.
The stage was gone when we were there at the end of September.
I read (somewhere, here) that it was moved mid-Sept.

It was definitely an improvement.
Next step, remove the BAH altogether, and restore the beautiful view of the theatre.
After that, relocate the tombstones from the front of Epcot.

ExtinctJenn

I've just let people walk past me before while I was looking at things.
Kind of in the same boat here. We would rather take our time looking through the props warehouse than get onto the tram anyway so we are ok with being last in that case. Frankly what's in there tends to be more interesting than 75% of the "tour" these days. Needless to say I'm hoping for something that really helps to pull together the tour with the "Hollywood" theme but as I said earlier, my gut tells me outside of cleaning and repainting the only change is going to be to the water effects tank show.

willtravel

They won't have to buy too many props, considering the Walt Disney Company owns some of the best movie franchises out there now that people want to see props from.
I didn't know if being the props from a different business segment of the WDW Co., movies vs. parks, that maybe they had to purchase the props.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom