Studio Backlot Tour to close for a near two month refurbishment in early 2014

Kman101

LOL at EpcotRobot thinking no one refers to it as a disaster. It is. You can like it all you want but it's mostly panned. There's a difference in tolerating and 'not minding' the attraction, and I assume the average visiting guest 'doesn't mind' the ride, but it is definitely not popular (personally, I ride out of nostalgia for Figment himself, as I'm sure many do).

There's a reason the ride has nearly always been empty. A busy day causing people to ride doesn't mean it's popular. I remember a few years ago in August being nearly the only one riding. The park wasn't at all slow.

Kman101

I'm sure there's a load of stuff that can be done. Vehicles, walkways/concrete, paint, roof, just general maintenance ....

I'm also sure it's to save a little bit of cost in terms of actually running it too. If they can even save that much by shutting it down for two months. I'm sure the budget for the refurb was long set. Doesn't it generally go down every year though?

Goofyernmost

Anybody want to put money on the possibility that the Backlot Tour will never reopen? It has absolutely no relevance anymore no matter how much paint they put on things. It's toast. It's done. If you get the chance to ride it before closure, do it. Just like 20K that went down for refab, never to return again. Sorry to be negative like this, but I've seen it before and this has all the markings of a wake.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Hmm.... If the refurb were longer it would be more convincing. 2 months doesn't really give much time to change much, just spruce everything up again. I wish it were longer so they could change the whole experience, kinda like they did with test track.
I think the TT upgrade/refurb was a great big meh!
Oooh look at all the pretty neon trees.

Not sure how long the BLT is going to be around, but as I stated before, I really hope they keep it going right up until the day before they start on its successor. There are enough empty unused buildings in DHS. Epcot & MK too, for that matter.

Bairstow

Anybody want to put money on the possibility that the Backlot Tour will never reopen? It has absolutely no relevance anymore no matter how much paint they put on things. It's toast. It's done. If you get the chance to ride it before closure, do it. Just like 20K that went down for refab, never to return again. Sorry to be negative like this, but I've seen it before and this has all the markings of a wake.

We can only hope so.

There are many interesting things Disney should build on that land.
Scratch that, there are many interesting things that Disney should have already built on that land.

AswaySuller

There are times when things are totalled.... When there is so much work to do to bring it back to how it was it is more economical to scrap it....

IMO the back lot tour is totalled. The real estate it sits in is more valuable than its content.

Bairstow

Well, they've got a couple trams and two outdoor special effects areas and nothing is going to be built for at least 4-5 years, so they've got to do something with it all.

ExtinctJenn

It is funny how long they have had a back-lot tour when there really isn't a back-lot... hahahaha
Yeah... it used to be a tour of a real backlot... now it's essentially an attraction showing you what backlot tours are like... sort of. But oh how wonderful it was when it WAS a backlot. Man I loved it.
Well, they've got a couple trams and two outdoor special effects areas and nothing is going to be built for at least 4-5 years, so they've got to do something with it all.
Agreed... curious to see what exactly. Not like they have much space to do more than what they do today with LMA taking up so much real estate (not just the theater but the lots where the cars are parked/worked on etc.).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom