Studio Backlot Tour to close for a near two month refurbishment in early 2014

Captain Neo

Well @whylightbulb did state it was happening at one point.

whylightbulb also said a major Tony Baxter designed e-ticket would be coming to MK and implied that a big WRE-esque project was being prepared for Frontierland very soon (I forget if it was the same rumor).

I'm pretty sure he is fed bogus information that is used to sniff out leakers.

Since1976

With every planned extended refurb, the foolishly optimistic part of me hopes that it is a stealthy cover for construction of something big, like what Uni did with The Simpsons, Transformers and Diagon Alley.

Disney has always encouraged us to dream, right?

the_claw

HS doesnt have enough attractions to close another one but what they are gonna do in 2 months to improve Backlot is difficult to imagine...expansion of backlot to streets of america so we dont have to look at an empty set is an option?

SirLink

whylightbulb also said a major Tony Baxter designed e-ticket would be coming to MK and implied that a big WRE-esque project was being prepared for Frontierland very soon (I forget if it was the same rumor).

He never said that.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm all for it to close, but only if it has a replacement directly lined up and ready to go. It might be lame, but DHS is already lacking in rides and attractions and can't really afford to lose another one.
Come on Tom, you go around using logic like that and you'll NEVER have anything to complain about.
What's the matter with you man!!????

Captain Neo

He never said that.

This is all I could find after I believe he edited his post

I believe I've brought this up before but this major project is looking more likely. Expect a major new attraction as part of the makeover that will be much like WRE with a twist. That's where things stand now and the plan is to begin construction after Snow White ride opens next year.

Obviously if they were going to get cooking on it after Snow White they would have announced it already or at the very least an insider would have commented.

JimboJones123

That never stopped them before.
Remeber TS and ST down at the same time before ST opened when TS got the gates?

Those were dark times for DHS.

Honestly, this attraction cannot close for 2.5-3.5 years waiting for a new attraction/land to come in. Something will have to be put in first (2+ years for Star Wars Land) before it can close.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Perhaps they are focusing on the Star Wars Land on the other side of the park instead. Several attractions would be closed/ demolished for this addition. Maybe they need the Backlot to continue to run so the guests have attractions during the building. Just a theory.
Backlot hardly can be considered an attraction.

ToTBellHop

This is all I could find after I believe he edited his post

Obviously if they were going to get cooking on it after Snow White they would have announced it already or at the very least an insider would have commented.
There actually were strong rumors of work to be done in Frontierland including a massive E-Ticket raft ride taking over Tom Sawyer Island and a stationary Liberty Belle that came from other insiders, Lee included. Those rumors have quieted down. Also, Carsland was a certainty early this year. Not it is certainly not happening. Projects change--that does not, in and of itself, discredit a source. AK's nighttime show was on-again, off-again for awhile and is finally a go.

Bairstow

Did we ever find out what happened to him/her?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There actually were strong rumors of work to be done in Frontierland including a massive E-Ticket raft ride taking over Tom Sawyer Island and a stationary Liberty Belle that came from other insiders, Lee included. Those rumors have quieted down. Also, Carsland was a certainty early this year. Not it is certainly not happening. Projects change--that does not, in and of itself, discredit a source. AK's nighttime show was on-again, off-again for awhile and is finally a go.
But until construction actually begins, things could still change.

doctornick

I'm all for it to close, but only if it has a replacement directly lined up and ready to go. It might be lame, but DHS is already lacking in rides and attractions and can't really afford to lose another one.

Agreed. In fact, I'd argue that if Star Wars is a go (and will result in the loss of IJ stunt show and AIE) that Backlot Tour and LMA should stay for now until either the Star Wars attractions or something else (door coaster in soundstage 1?) opens. DHS already lacks attractions, you can't close down too many of the precious few it has without severely harming attendance and interest.

Marc Gil

I hope they remove those eyes from the airplane (if that was even real).

I'm actually glad the Backlot Tour is getting some love. Sure, it's not as great as it was 15 years ago, but it's still a nice way to get off your feet for a while.

I'm patient for Carsland, whatever comes to DHS.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom