Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

DisDan

OMG I've been living a lie! I first went in 1997 and that version was EPIC, although it seems, not the original.

Edit: I've just read that post. Man! It was massive! I never new that grand entrance was once 'the' entrance. That's nuts!

I don't remember when I first road that Backstage Tour but I certainly remember Residential Avenue, I have very vivid memories of that part of the tour from my childhood, for some reason. What year did they get rid of that?

pumpkin7

I don't remember when I first road that Backstage Tour but I certainly remember Residential Avenue, I have very vivid memories of that part of the tour from my childhood, for some reason. What year did they get rid of that?

They closed it to build LMA, soo.. that article above says it closed 2003. I do briefly remember it from my 1997 trip, but I was 8 so you have to cut me some slack!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most people have no idea that half the park they walk through today was all the backlot tour. Animation Courtyard, Mickey Ave, Streets of America, etc... and when you take away Sunset Blvd you realize the original park was only the front hollywood blvd and the area around towards Indy. They like to point out 'DHS only had X rides' - yeah, because the original backlot was so MASSIVE and so much of your park visit.

People who have only known the abbreviated versions hate on the rest of DHS.. failing to understand just how much of the original park was 'lost' when the studio element was removed.

The original MGM studios..
mgmmap.jpg

The rapid expansion that brought StarTours, Sunset Blvd, Muppets, and more just made a great starting experience that much better. It's why (IMO) some of us like the park more that more recent fans. It's during the mid to late nineties where that expansion went off the rails that started to eat away at both MGM and EPCOT original concepts.

Those who only know the parks as they post 1994/95 see the parks very differently.. and see DMGM in a much different light.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wonder where they are going.

Knowing Disney the scrapyard - Disney is VERY swift recently to destroy closed attractions for 2 reasons

1 - Taxes its no longer a profit making asset, It's now just a few thousand pounds of scrap metal/glass/plastic
2 - To ensure the Attraction can NEVER be brought back. (that would be admitting error on the part of P&R executives and like the Pope their decisions are infallable)

Next Big Thing

Knowing Disney the scrapyard - Disney is VERY swift recently to destroy closed attractions for 2 reasons

1 - Taxes its no longer a profit making asset, It's now just a few thousand pounds of scrap metal/glass/plastic
2 - To ensure the Attraction can NEVER be brought back. (that would be admitting error on the part of P&R executives and like the Pope their decisions are infallable)
You obviously have never worked for the company.

Disney VERY rarely destroys anything that could be sold or used in any other way. What does destroying this do when they could sell it on eBay to a crazy fanatical?

Yes, Spectromagic got destroyed, but that's because it was so far gone it would've been an embarrassment to sell.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You obviously have never worked for the company.

Disney VERY rarely destroys anything that could be sold or used in any other way. What does destroying this do when they could sell it on eBay to a crazy fanatical?

Yes, Spectromagic got destroyed, but that's because it was so far gone it would've been an embarrassment to sell.

And they ended up selling pieces of it anyway in pins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom