Strollers

Need a little help from experienced Disney families. Sorry to all those who hate this stroller topic and strollers in general. We are leaving for Disney May 4th-11th and I was wondering if there were any recommendations for what type of stroller to bring for a 3 year old and 20 month old. Im thinking cheap umbrella stroller. Any suggestions of types or brands would be very helpful. Thanks

Invero

When choosing what stroller to bring along... keep a few things in mind...

If you're going to be taking a Disney Transport bus or a parking tram, you will be asked to fold the stroller prior to boarding. Also, some of the smaller launch boats ask for that as well. (Doesn't have to fold for Monorail, unless it's a double wide)

Certain attractions, if it's too big, you might have to leave it parked outside, and run the risk of someone else accidentally taking it.

Another thing to consider, is will you want to use part of the stroller as a shopping cart?

Upvote 0

tommyboy12099

Original Poster
Thats why Im thinking umbrella stroller. We do have the regular strollers but they are just to big and cumbersome to drag around. Plus the take up to much room on the busses and of coarse weaving in and out of crowds. I was just wondering if anyone had any specific brand in mind.

Upvote 0

MassFan

April 2000, I took my 2month old and 18 month old to Disney. We took a stroller where the back folds down. Not the HUGE carriage stroller but not a $15 umbrella stroller either. My kids wouldn't sleep in an umbrella stroller and we needed something that lays down. It was still the type that folded up though.

We found, if you tie on a couple of obnoxious colored bandanas on your stroller no one will take it either. In our 3 trips to Disney our stroller has NEVER disappeared, unless of course a CM moved it .

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Ok well here is my 2 cents worth. We have always taken the good Peg Perego Stroller for the smallest child...usually age 2 or under when we go. That they are covered with a shade, I can strap a backpack on it w/o it tipping over if empty(backpack to hold handi wipes, sunscreen, camera, snacks or sippy cups etc), also it goes flat for naps, or quick diaper changes. However, we also grab an umbrella stroller for the older child..this time our older child will be 5 but she will still get the umbrella stroller so she is not worn out by 3pm! We always stop at say Wal-Mart and grab a $20-$25 umbrella stroller...usually has a basket underneath and a cover on it. We never bother bringing it home..on the last day we offer it up to anyone we see, we figure its cheaper than renting one of Disneys since we usually go for more than 5 days. We have never had a stroller lost or accidentally taken at any of the parks, also we haven't had anyone take anything from the backpack. I do usually take one of those ponchos to cover it during rainstorms if we are inside shows. nothing worse than wet seat...except maybe wet socks :) We also have never had any problems getting the Peg Perego on the busses, boats or monorail system, also we have wheeled sleeping infants into restaurants w/o any problems its not a huge stroller but not to small either.

Upvote 0

goofyguy

We've gone just about every route for this: nice big stroller, umbrella stroller, and using Disney strollers. I think for the 3 year old, the umbrella stroller may work just fine, but for the 20 month old especially, you're going to want a stroller that will let them sleep comfortably. Plus, this will give you a place to store diapers (if you still need them), snacks, water, etc. Just remember, like everyone else has said, you'll need one that collapses easily to take on Disney Transportation. With my first child we had a stroller that collapsed into a nice compact package, unfortunately the mechanism was a little complicated so I ended up snapping it trying to hurry to a tram. Now we have one that collapses with just a twist of the wrist. As kids get a little older, I think the umbrella is easier to deal with, but with the ages you're going with the convenience of having a comfortable place for them to rest outways the little bit of time you'll loose getting on Disney Transportation.

Upvote 0

tommyboy12099

Original Poster
We do have a big double stroller which we know will not be convenient because of the size. We have another single stroller that also would be ideal but still to big at least I think. I really dont think the crowds will be to bad during may 4-11th but as far as the busses go is there enough room for the strollers? Ive never use Disney Transportation but I would think they are very used to strollers.

Upvote 0

goofyguy

Originally posted by tommyboy12099
I really dont think the crowds will be to bad during may 4-11th but as far as the busses go is there enough room for the strollers? Ive never use Disney Transportation but I would think they are very used to strollers.

You would think they would be used to it, but they don't really do much to make it easier to bring strollers. Probably so that you'll be more inclined to rent one at the parks. (Which, in some parks, the strollers are quite nice. You just have to be there early enough to get the good ones.) If your strollers are collapsible, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. They tend to take up an extra seat, which can earn you a dirty look during busy times, but I can't think of any place I really had a problem. Of course, I don't use the buses much either. I like to drive into the park even when I'm staying on-site. Once you're inside the park, though, everything is VERY stroller friendly.

Upvote 0

mej

When my kids were the age of yours, I brought a slightly more "upmarket" one for the little one (he was going to be in it more or less all day - eating/sleeping etc) and for the older one we brought the cheapest one we could buy that had swivel front wheels and a reclining back. Swivel front wheels are great especially for the heavier child - they make it so much easier to push! We also used ponchos as rain covers. We have never had any trouble at restaurants etc, but maybe things were easier for us as we had a car and so only used the monorail or ferry boat.

Upvote 0

vanryan

I would say it would be worth your while to bring a double stroller, with awnings. You would get all the storage you need, the ability for naps, diaper changes,etc. The bonus is that only one person needs to push, leaving someones arms free. What if one of the kids is cranky, and wants to be carried? My kids at that age would fall asleep if I carried them for a few minutes, then I could put them down. Then if I draped a receiving blanket over the awning, they could sleep in the shade. Also this is nice if it starts raining. If you gate check the stroller when getting on the plane, it will be waiting for you when you get off, to use to change plans or go get the luggage. This is important for us because our kids will "transfer" when sleeping, so if they fall asleep on the plane, we just wait until we are the last off, pop the kid in the stroller and go.l

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by tommyboy12099
as far as the busses go is there enough room for the strollers? Ive never use Disney Transportation but I would think they are very used to strollers.

The newer low-floor busses that we have are plenty wide enough to take your folded stroller on board, plus there's no steps to get inside. In addition, there are places over the wheels where you can stack them (and on some, luggage racks). On the older busses, the aisles are a little bit narrower, but it's still possible.

The monorails are stroller friendly, for the most part... there's a lil step up, but the child can remain in the stroller. The only exception would be the double wides. Most boats can accomodate strollers as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom