Stroller substitute for older kids

John Persad

Original Poster
My kids will be 5 and 7 when we visit WDW for the second time. They've outgrowned the stroller, but I'm not sure they will be able to handle all the walking. Is there an alternative for this age group. A wagon would be ideal, but would no doubt be an issue with the buses. I need something that folds up.

Suggestions are appreciated.

HouCuseChickie

I don't think wagons are permitted in the parks, so that wouldn't be an option. I know every kid is different, but my kids were 4 (almost 5) and 7 on their last trip and we managed to be stroller free for the entire trip :D

It helps that the older one was mortified at the idea of being in a stroller and the younger one likes to copy her big sis. They are really small for their respective ages, especially DD7 (who is nearly the same size as her little sis), but they were great. They barely used the stroller on their previous trip the year before- so we figured it was a good time to try being stroller free.

They did enough sitting on rides, in shows, and on the random benches (just to stop and take in our scenic surroundings) that it really didn't catch up with them until the end of the night. There were a few whimpers and whines at that point, but ultimately they walked to the buses and walked back to the hotel room on their own each time.

luv

Wagons are not allowed in WDW. The strollers are pretty big and might hold the kids if the kids are willing to sit in one. Only other thing I can think of is a wheelchair, but unless there is a physical reason to use it, I wouldn't. There are only so many and someone who does have a physical problem might need it, you know?

Barring some physical problem, the kids should be able to the walking, though. I've taken plenty of kids that age through the parks. :)

Just make sure the kids get all the sleep they need and you leave when they (or you!) are starting to poop out. :)

copcarguyp71

Suck it up buttercup (what I told ours at that age) and when they are ready to take a break head back to the resort/hotel for a pool or room break, not when you get through the ride queue you are in but right away. Great time for a power nap for mom and dad too! Be prepared to make sacrifices and leave the parks when they hit the wall or they will make the stress level skyrocket for mom and dad!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My kids will be 5 and 7 when we visit WDW for the second time. They've outgrowned the stroller, but I'm not sure they will be able to handle all the walking. Is there an alternative for this age group. A wagon would be ideal, but would no doubt be an issue with the buses. I need something that folds up.

Suggestions are appreciated.
The rental strollers are huge, and both would fit in them easily.

That being said, in 4 years of taking my daughter (from age 5 to age 9 so far, every year), I've only rented a stroller once for a half day, and that was because she fell asleep on our last day on a trip to EPCOT back on the monorail!

Of course, after carrying her and our bags (yeah, silly me for doing last day shopping!) and renting the stroller, she woke right up when I sat her inside! :p

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
For their age you are better off starting family walks if you think you need it and trying to take breaks if the kids need it. Touring the parks is much easier without a stroller. We did 2 stroller-less mornings with our 2yo and 4 yo and it was great. If we just had the 4 yo we would have ditched the stroller all together.

dolce20

My input on this topic is that every kid is different. I wouldn't want anyone to tell me my 4 year old is too old and to just deal with the walking. If you're doing many parks several days in a row, I think it's too much for my son to be expected to walk absolutely everywhere. Even if he was willing, his little growing bones, muscles and joints shouldn't be expected to do what mine can as a grown woman. Plus, for times sake, if I need to get somewhere (fast pass or dining reservations) pushing him in the stroller is faster than his pace of walking. Napping at the hotel midday isn't ALWAYS possible. And for the record, I never let ANYONE guilt me into feeling like I'm adding to the over population of strollers in WDW. This is your trip, your kid, your money. If you want a stroller by all means do it..worst case scenario it doesn't get used much. I know my kid would meltdown by nighttime if I didn't break up his day with short stroller breaks, therefore our stroller allows us to all enjoy ourselves more. PS kingdom stroller rental company offers different model strollers to accommodate different weight/height kids. Nobody should be judged or pushed one way or another. You don't know my kid and his challenges and what's best. Do what you feel is right :) Don't worry about "it's easier without a stroller"..easier for who? For us, the slight inconvenience of folding a stroller on a bus or a monorail is worth it if it helps my son.

Last edited:

Freshee61

We 'allowed' ours to ride in the strollers until almost 7 if not 8. She's 11 now and I think our 3 year old will do better w/o a stroller than the 11 year old which gets me back to OP.
Do what you feel is right .. If they 'fit' in the stroller and you don't mind pushinging them- then I say go for it.
It can't be bad having more space to carry things around and in the end of the day a happy rested kid!

Last edited:

John Persad

Original Poster
Thanks. Any idea why wagons are not allowed? What about a wagon that can be folded down?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards an umbrella stroller. Mostly to save my back. My youngest WILL be pooped at the end of the day, and those long, rushed walks back to the bus will no doubt strain my already chronically sore back, while lifting her. My kids are not use to the hot/humid weather, and I can't recreate that at home, so practising long walks in those conditions is not feasible for me to do. Maybe I'll look for a cheap sit and stand on Kijiji, and it can be a reprieve from the walking every so often, while the front is used for bags.

Thanks for your constructive advice.

Last edited:

Betsyboo

Thanks. Any idea why wagons are not allowed? What about a wagon that can be folded down?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards an umbrella stroller. Mostly to save my back. My youngest WILL be pooped at the end of the day, and those long, rushed walks back to the bus will no doubt strain my already chronically sore back. My kids are not use to the hot/humid weather, and I can't recreate that at home, so practising long walks in those conditions is not feasible for me to do. Maybe I'll look for a cheap sit and stand on Kijiji, and it can be a reprieve from the walking every so often, while the front is used for bags.

We used an umbrella stroller when my son was 5. It was a life saver. We are a family that opens a park and shuts one down so it was essential. Honestly I don't think he actually ever took a nap in it but it saved our sanity and it provided him a time to rest his legs. Mid day breaks are great too and did provide him and us time to relax and reenergize. Best of luck with your choice.

GeneralKnowledge

When I was 5 (and 7 for that matter) I walked around the parks. I remember telling my dad that "my legs never get tired in Disney World." I don't know if it was the adrenaline pumping through my veins or what, but I never had a problem with it at that age.

journ116

At the moment, I'm leaning towards an umbrella stroller. Mostly to save my back. My youngest WILL be pooped at the end of the day, and those long, rushed walks back to the bus will no doubt strain my already chronically sore back. My kids are not use to the hot/humid weather, and I can't recreate that at home, so practising long walks in those conditions is not feasible for me to do. Maybe I'll look for a cheap sit and stand on Kijiji, and it can be a reprieve from the walking every so often, while the front is used for bags.

Not exactly sure why wagons are not allowed, but I could venture a guess that it has something to do with the 'foldability' of it and that it's a trailer of sorts (also prohibited). I live near an amusement park in Central PA and they offer wagons to rent in addition to 70's-esque-type strollers…and I often thought, "Why doesn't WDW rent wagons?" I am assuming it is easier to navigate Disney crowds with a stroller than a pull-behind.

As for your original post: you know your kids best, and if you truly feel that your kids will need a stroller, then by all means use one. However, I would avoid an umbrella stroller because A: they don't hold a lot of weight, and B. they don't hold a lot of weight. My suggestion: rent. There are several reputable sites out there (Magic Strollers, Kingdom Strollers, and Orlando Strollers), and I would look to them first. Another option: park-rented strollers, which are made of hard, durable plastic, AND you don't have to worry about folding a stroller down to use Disney transportation, and you'll be able to test your oldest child's stamina (save your receipt if you want to park hop).

Here's my experience in the past year:
-I rented a double stroller for our last trip in June 2013, at which time my oldest DD was 7 y.o. and my youngest was 2 months shy of her 4th birthday. Honestly, my DH and I thought that our oldest would need it for 'breaks' and for us to get from point A to point B faster…we were right. However, DD7 only used it 1/4 of the time and actually preferred to walk, which is awesome! The youngest DD needed it 80% of the time.

-For our upcoming trip in Feb. 2014, I actually bought (but had to sell 2 strollers first) a Britax B-agile for my youngest DD to use…DD7 is walking. I am heeding advice from above posters to tour the parks a little slower and strategically enjoy park attractions, take mid-day siestas (which we do anyways), rely on ALL Disney transportation (i.e. boats, trains), get a good nights sleep, take advantage of an open bench, getting the oldest to walk more (i.e. even if it's a trip thru the supermarket or mall), and expect some whining at points.

I will not let anyone I know or don't know, make me feel guilty or ashamed for knowing my kids' stamina and health best. Touring WDW is a feat even for a fit adult. It's a trip for us adults as well as our kids, with each having to keep up or tone down the pace at certain points.

Trial-and-error my friend, as this topic is forever a heated topic of discussion.

Have a magical vacation!!

Betsyboo

I will not let anyone I know or don't know, make me feel guilty or ashamed for knowing my kids' stamina and health best. Touring WDW is a feat even for a fit adult. It's a trip for us adults as well as our kids, with each having to keep up or tone down the pace at certain points.
EXACTLY! Well said. Every child is different.

hansel1

The last trip to WDW with the kids we had a side by side double jogging stroller. It was a life saver as our kids were 2 and 5. They would nap in the stroller some and just general take breaks in it while we pushed on to the next attraction. Without the stroller our kids would never had made it through epcot or world showcase. Epcot is wide open and attractions are not right next to each other. The stroller gave them shade and a place for them to put their drinks and other necessities.

This May we will be using 2 strollers: 1 single jogging stroller for our infant in his child seat -and- 1 double in-line sit & stand stroller for the 4 and 5 year old. We took our 3 3/4 year old to babiesrus to try out different strollers and see how she would fit in them and at 3 3/4 yrs she fits with plenty of room so at 4 she should be fine. Plus the sit & stand can be used with the infant seat for when we want to split up with the kids.

As much as I love Disney World, I am an adult who understands that it is a place for children. I think they should be comfortable and enjoy as much as they can. So when someone tells me or I overhear a complaint about strollers, I remind them that it was all started by a Mouse....for families.

Weather_Lady

FYI - wagons are definitely not permitted. They're first on the list of prohibited items.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

Also, a child 4 years old and up, who is of average size, doesn't have any physical disabilities and is in reasonably good health, should be able to walk for a few miles in a day at WDW (caveat: with a mid-day nap and frequent breaks for food, water, etc. -- if you plan to have them on their feet from dawn to dusk without a break, they will need a stroller, and you may want an adult-sized one for yourself ;)). If you're worried that your kids can't physically handle that much exercise, perhaps try taking daily walks as a family to build their fitness and stamina and you might be surprised at how much they can do.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom