Stroller for 3+3/4 yr old

Slowjack

Original Poster
We're taking my daughter to WDW for the first time (her first, not mine!) in January, at which point she'll be 3+3/4. I hadn't planned on taking a stroller, figuring I would just rent one when I needed it...we haven't taken her stroller out of the garage all year. But everything I read says I should be taking a stroller because I'll want to have it all the time. Now I'm worried that I'm taking her too early, because every time I've seen parents wrangling their strollers onto the bus/monorail/etc. I've been so happy I wasn't them.

Anyway, that's just the setup. My question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a stroller to take for a girl not yet four? Her regular stroller is way too big to consider. I'm looking for the lightest, most-compact-when-folded model that will do the job.

UPDATE: Okay, back from the trip, and I thought I would follow up on my original question and tell you what I ended up doing. What ended up working for me is renting a stroller for the week. There are a number of companies in Orlando that will deliver rented strollers to your hotel. I ended up going with a company called Magic Strollers, and were very pleased with them, but there seem to be a number of companies with similar services at similar price points. The nice thing about this is that I didn't have to worry about buying a new stroller just for the trip, lugging the stroller around airports where I didn't really need it, and so on. The changes over renting from Disney are playing less (especially for a week-long trip), and having the stroller for getting to and from the parks. This last bit was important for us; it's easy to forget how much walking can be involved before you get to the monorail station or the bus stop or whatever.

mousefan1972

My vote would be for a Maclaren Volo. Our 4 year old hasn't used a stroller outside of WDW in years, but we still have our Volo to take to Disney for him. It is super lightweight, has a carry strap, and folds up very compact, umbrella style. It is not a hassle at all on any Disney transportation, including the buses. They are a bit pricey, but if you check ebay or craigslist regularly you can get a good deal on one. I found a new one on ebay for $45 because it had been a floor model. HTH.

http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99&Itemid=491

maggiegrace1

Also the ones that Disney sells at the resorts and also in the parks are very nice and not bulky at all..and fairly inexpensive..I believe around $45..I would not go to the parks without a stroller for my 4 year old.

happymom52003

Here is my opinion....take your own. Instead of spending the high amount of money on the rentals, buy an umbrella stroller that is made for traveling. This is a favorite among members of this forum, including myself. http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=6 It is very lightweight, folds easily and has a carrying strap.

Taking strollers on transportation is not that big of a deal. You do not have to fold it up for the larger boats or the monorail...just roll it right on. There are times it can be a bit of a pain on a crowded bus, especially when you have to stand, but the benefits of having your own stroller far outweigh any hassles on the transportation. I think people who take larger strollers that are not made specifically for traveling have more problems. A stroller such as the one posted above folds up easily and quickly, and hardly weighs anything.

Slowjack

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. That Volo looks pretty sweet but yeah, at retail it's pretty expensive. I have a Babies R' Us here in town where I can think I can check out the Combi Flare in person.

I know I'll be glad I have the stroller once I'm there in a park. I've just spoiled myself having gone so many times before I had a child that it's going to feel odd having the stroller with me.

happymom52003

I've just spoiled myself having gone so many times before I had a child that it's going to feel odd having the stroller with me.

Lol....I'm just the opposite now after so many years of using a stroller. Even when I go to the mall now, I feel really odd without pushing a stroller! I actually miss it!

stitch & lilo

just get a cheap umbrella one from target or walgreens or even a tag sale, do not go with out one unless you dont mind carrying your child when she falls asleep. mine are 9 and 10 and love when they can get a 'free ride' -when the disney carriages are free like at the halloween party!! have a great trip:sohappy:

kmanship

Agreed... Just get a cheap one that folds up.. After all you will only be using it a few days...

We went last year and rented a double stroller... $30 a day I think is was.... We could have bought a real nice stroller for how much it cost to rent one for the week. :brick:

SAV

While you are at Babies R Us, check out this one:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331820

Its the Baby Trends Trendsport. We bought it for one of our trips down with my DD and it became our primary stroller for her and my DS. It has made it thru mulitple trips to WDW and everywhere in between. It has everything you would need. A good sized basket underneath, a tray for the child, a shade, a tray/cup holder for you, folds up really small, lightweight.

It's right around $50.

And be careful if you "just get an Cheap umbrella" stroller. I tried that once and would never recommend it to anyone. You spent alot to get there, and a stroller is an important part of the trip. It was so hot that the actual rubbery wheel heated up and fell off of the plastic rim in the parks. It couldn't take the conditions. I used it as much as I could, but had to throw it away. That's when we decided to get the above stroller for the next trip.

Slowjack

Original Poster
While you are at Babies R Us, check out this one:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331820

Its the Baby Trends Trendsport. We bought it for one of our trips down with my DD and it became our primary stroller for her and my DS. It has made it thru mulitple trips to WDW and everywhere in between. It has everything you would need. A good sized basket underneath, a tray for the child, a shade, a tray/cup holder for you, folds up really small, lightweight.

It's right around $50.

And be careful if you "just get an Cheap umbrella" stroller. I tried that once and would never recommend it to anyone. You spent alot to get there, and a stroller is an important part of the trip. It was so hot that the actual rubbery wheel heated up and fell off of the plastic rim in the parks. It couldn't take the conditions. I used it as much as I could, but had to throw it away. That's when we decided to get the above stroller for the next trip.
Thanks for the recommendation. That's what I am deciding between, something like this in the $50 range or an el cheapo model. I've had those same concerns about a cheap umbrella stroller. On the other hand it may never get used except for going to WDW so I don't want to spend any more than I have to. Also, that model you link to says 17lbs. That seems heavy for a lightweight stroller. Does it feel light? Part of my problem is that I've never taken a stroller to WDW or even taken one on a (plane) trip before, so I don't have the experience to gauge how big a burden these can be in those settings.

SAV

I don't know what it weighs, but I can't see it weighing 17 lbs. It is light. Your best bet is to check it out at the store. Fold it up and see if you like it. We love ours. It has every feature you could want. The reclining seat is great. Just drape a towel or blanket over for a nap.

And really how much do you actually carry it? It is mostly being pushed. It's thin enough to fit on the tram from the parking lot. On any buses. It stays open on the Monorail, so no worries there. You gate check it at the plane, so you aren't lifting it there, either.

Slowjack

Original Poster
All right, sounds like I need to get to Babies 'R Us and try some of these suggestions out. Would have gone this weekend but the daughter had a fever--thought it was the flu :mad: but she got over it fast.:)

Let me ask another question--those of you that have gone with children this age, where you expect they will be doing a good bit of walking while resting/crashing in the stroller, what's the plan? Do you roll the stroller around everywhere, do you leave it in a locker until you need it?

riogirl

Without a doubt you need to take a stroller. My son is 4 and we went this summer, he would NEVER had made it. Think about yourself walking around the park for hours, then imagine a 4 year old! I had a Maclarean and it folded up quickly for on and off the buses/monorails. Don't leave home without one!

SAV

We took ours everywhere we went. It's great because it can hold your extra water bottles, snacks, etc. You may consider getting one of those rain covers too. Nice to have...just in case.

If they wanted to walk, we let them walk. If they wanted to ride, they rode. No plan. Just go with the flow. Bring a towel or blanket with to drape over it for a nap. There's a nice area to the left of POTC that is somewhat secluded, rather quiet and has a textured path, which helps to "rock" them to sleep. I just strolled back and forth on it until he went down. DHS has plenty of quiet areas. Epcot has those bridges/paths leading to World Showcase and AK has plenty of quiet areas too.

Keep in mind that you may have to forgo the Night time fireworks shows with children at this age. And if you do stay, it may lead to a not so early departure the next day. They are tough, but can only take so much.

EvilQueen-T

i've taken my granddaughter at the age of 3, 4, and 5. we don't use a stroller pretty much at any time but rent a stroller when we go to wdw. it's nice renting one because you just leave it and don't have to drag it on the bus or monorail but you just get a new rental at the next park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom