Stroller Design FAQ

scbb11Sketch

Original Poster
Okay guys, I'm doing a design project on rental stroller design and I need everyone's help since I am not a parent and do not use the strollers. What are some things you would change about the rental strollers that Disney, or any park, offer to guests? Please do not say the price of renting them, because that cannot be controlled. Anything to do with comfort, aesthetic, usability, practicality. Anything that needs to be changed or anything that should stay the same with the actual stroller. Thanks for your help!

coltow

I wish they were not hard plastic. It's not very comfortable and they get very hot in the sun. I also wish they were higher off the ground. The ones at Disney always seem to me that the kids ride very low to the ground. I'm sure it's easier for kids to get in and out, but I cannot help but think it must be hard for them to see things.

scbb11Sketch

Original Poster
Yeah I'm definitely going to deal with the hard plastic thing. The height problem is very interesting. I had not thought of that. Thanks! Keep 'em coming guys!

I am certainly not an expert on this, but I would assume the hard plastic has something to do with the cleaning/disnfecting process.

Just a guess.

Kriszee1

They just look so very uncomfortable. We bring our own, but I think they should be more like a large jogging stroller.

belliott

It wasn't too long ago that the strollers at Disney Studios (then MGM) were mesh instead of the hard plastic. I always preferred those strollers to those in the other parks.

I also appreciate the shade cover on the top that can be buttoned/unbuttoned, as needed. When it's on, it also gives us a place to carry some of our stuff since there's not much room to hold your stuff in the current design.

Drink holders would be really nice. We use the mesh holders on the back, but it's not the best solution.

tink68

Some kind of soft, cushioned, snap on liner that could also be wiped down would be a great add-on to the current design. Plus a cup holder and have them sit higher.

jtced

Some sort of shade. What is on right now doesn't really shade that well. The kids poor legs are red at the end of the day, also better storage area the net works for a few things, but not a cup without a lid on it.

danpam1024

Snack trays for kids and parents! Less bumpy wheels, one-handed steering, room for "junk". A larger retractable canopy that can completely close (something that can block the sun at any angle). If you really want to get fancy, add an Ipod docking station and some refrigerated cup holders, and LED stars inside the canopy :lol:. Hard plastic is not the way to go, but the most sanitary...maybe some cheap cushions could be sold at an extra cost:shrug:

I think they should be made of "nurf ball" material, so when they bump into you they don't hurt so badly! Or a least nurf bumpers! Something like those pool noodle floatie things. Just kidding... (sort of). They do need to be made of the existing plastic material so they can be power washed and cleaned up after each use---otherwise they would be too unsanitary to use. During my years of vacations at WDW, I have seen children with chicken pox and all sorts of contagious illnesses, not to mention all the potty training mishaps. I think they could be spray lined with some thick rubber type material for children's comfort. Along the same idea as the spray in bed liners for pick up trucks. Something molded though. Another idea would be to have snaps where additions such as padded liners and shades could be snapped on. Also it might be nice if a rain cover could be snapped on. These might be something that could be rented in addition to the stroller, or purchased separately. Just my thoughts.:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
GPS on all strollers directly connected to the brakes, so that if more than say twenty strollers are in one area, that stroller cannot enter.

How about radar, so that they can't bump into other people.

A loud beeper, for when they are pulled in reverse.
:lookaroun

Seriously, I do like the Nerf bumper idea!

scbb11Sketch

Original Poster
These are all great ideas, and great input everyone. Thanks a ton. I cannot really say what my final choices will be yet because this is a 6 month project. Right now I'm just researching and gathering possible solutions to problems.

I will say that I want to do something different than the blow molded plastic base. It may be cost efficient, but also seems like the least comfortable. Plus adding cushions or something to this just increases the cost and time spent cleaning. A simpler system is possible.

Keep the good stuff coming guys, and thanks again!

PaisleyMF

Keep also in mind that this must be easy to store and the end of the day. Parks strollers need to be stacked to be stored. and keep also in mind weight restrictions (and i am talking about the unit itself, since they need to be picked and stacked...)

And some material more easy to clean and less dangerous. Strollers tend to break and have sharp metal parts (that are taken care of daily).

Think that they need to be in different colors to identify parks (Purple in Epcot, Blue Magic Kingdom...)

Something more water proof (and you should see strollers after a storm)

Phonedave

Yeah I'm definitely going to deal with the hard plastic thing. The height problem is very interesting. I had not thought of that. Thanks! Keep 'em coming guys!

Hard plastic = easy to clean, easy to disinfect, does not rip.

Low to ground (and they way their wheels are) = much less of a tipping hazard than an umbrella style stroller.

-dave

scbb11Sketch

Original Poster
On a side note, does anyone know who the maker of the strollers is? Does Disney make their own or is their a different company? I need to contact a manufacturer. Thanks!

PaisleyMF

Disney uses a contractor for strollers and ECV (each one different) sometimes they got people on property fixing the strollers. You may need to do a Google search. There are places that do prototypes.

scbb11Sketch

Original Poster
GPS on all strollers directly connected to the brakes, so that if more than say twenty strollers are in one area, that stroller cannot enter.

How about radar, so that they can't bump into other people.

A loud beeper, for when they are pulled in reverse.
:lookaroun

I wish. I hate bumping into them. I am trying to keep them cost efficient though.

Keep also in mind that this must be easy to store and the end of the day. Parks strollers need to be stacked to be stored. and keep also in mind weight restrictions (and i am talking about the unit itself, since they need to be picked and stacked...)

I saw a picture on MousePlanet that showed them being stored and stacked upside down. This seems like a huge hassle. If they could nest inside each other or collapse a different way it would decrease the space they take up and possibly be lighter. I will account for all of this.

Anymore comments or ideas guys? This has been a great resource so far, so thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom