'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Ladies and gentlemen, a gay man just posted the above. Let that sink in.

And I'm happy and proud to stand behind that personal opinion of mine! :D

Apparently a majority of parents with small children around the world share that opinion too. Which really makes me question Burbank's current business strategy regarding these family animated movies aimed at children. And their parents who buy the tickets.

BuddyThomas

Apparently a majority of parents with small children around the world share that opinion too. Which really makes me question Burbank's current business strategy regarding these family animated movies aimed at children. And their parents who buy the tickets.
That's pretty freaking sad. And you speak for YOURSELF, not the "majority of parents". You said it yourself, it is 2023. We have marriage equality for God's sake, but you clutch your pearls because there is a five minute gay crush in a Disney movie? Sad, sad, sad. You said it yourself, it is 2023....except, I guess, when it comes to gay people. Unreal.

Ghost93

That's pretty freaking sad. And you speak for YOURSELF, not the "majority of parents". You said it yourself, it is 2023. We have marriage equality for God's sake, but you clutch your pearls because there is a five minute gay crush in a Disney movie? Sad, sad, sad. You said it yourself, it is 2023....except, I guess, when it comes to gay people. Unreal.
I do think like 10 years from now, if gay marriage is still legal in all 50 states and there isn't a major regression of our rights, that depictions of gay couples in family movies won't be nearly as controversial as it is nowadays. My sister is a counselor at a school and she says that Gen Z and younger generally don't care at all about LGBTQ issues and that they are much more open about it. I think as older generations die off and newer ones who grew up in a time of more LGBTQ acceptance get older, it will eventually be as non-controversial as interracial marriages are.

I also think for that reason, Strange World will age well. What may be seen by some as "woke" by 2022's standards will be seen as no big deal by 2032's standards.

TP2000

That's pretty freaking sad. And you speak for YOURSELF, not the "majority of parents".

The majority of parents spoke for themselves at the box office this holiday season. Simple fact. The free market of consumer choice is always the most efficient and clearest way to deliver a message on the worth of a product.

You said it yourself, it is 2023. We have marriage equality for God's sake, but you clutch your pearls because there is a five minute gay crush in a Disney movie? Sad, sad, sad. You said it yourself, it is 2023....except, I guess, when it comes to gay people. Unreal.

Correct (mostly). I don't have pearls to clutch except for some cufflinks I bought in Japan, but I agree with a majority of parents who do not feel it's appropriate to include gay content in a film aimed at small children. About age 11 or 12, depending on the child's development, is where I draw the line. As I understand it, that's about where most modern parents also draw the line, and I tend to agree with them.

That issue of homosexuality in children's films has nothing to do with racial issues in the character development of family films.

Which is why the mixed race couple in Strange World wasn't a blip on anyone's radar. Virtually no one cares about that in 2023. It definitely would have been an issue sixty years ago, and it could have been an issue forty years ago, but it's certainly not an issue today.

Prince-1

Sorry but your logic is completely flawed. You are just assuming the movie failed because parents boycotted it because of an innocent crush a boy has on another boy and you overlook the most obvious reason it failed which is that Disney failed to market it for whatever reason. I mean you must have some proof to back up your claim that, "Apparently a majority of parents with small children around the world share that opinion too" and not from some biased right wing rag. I mean, it is the norm for some people on here to post their opinion and state it as a fact and always seem to fail to provide proof.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Because it is no longer 1963. Nor is it 1983. It's 2023, and that social dynamic is absolutely no longer unique or any big deal.

Who in the United States does not currently have some friends or family who are a mixed couple of some sort?
Americans now live in the present, not the past.
It is a big deal to a lot of people, particularly racists. You think there aren’t Americans out there who refuse to date outside their own race for racist reasons and see the inclusion of interracial couples as part of the “left agenda?”

The Unite the Right rally was back in 2017, not that long ago. It’s 2023 and we still have sundown towns and active Ku Klux Klan chapters across the States. You used to live in Orange County, CA, or, as I like to call it, Orange KKKounty. You likely mingled with the kind of people I’m talking about on a daily basis.

TP2000

It is a big deal to a lot of people, particularly racists. You think there aren’t Americans out there who refuse to date outside their own race for racist reasons and see the inclusion of interracial couples as part of the “left agenda?”

I dated two Black men in the Carolinas several decades ago (but not at the same time!). Trust me, I am fully aware of the opinions the Black community held on inter-racial couples back then. And that still exist today.

The Unite the Right rally was back in 2017, not the long ago. It’s 2023 and we still have sundown towns and active Ku Klux Klan chapters across the States. You used to live in Orange County, CA, or, as I like to call it, Orange KKKounty. You likely mingled with the kind of people I’m talking about on a daily basis.

I went to a dinner party up in OC last week, in my old neighborhood. I was seated across the table from a Japanese-American man and his Chicano wife, both in their 60's and have been married for almost 40 years. The party hostess would be someone people would identify as Black, her husband is white. (This is their second marriage for both, they've been married about 15 years)

I have absolutely no idea what dinner parties you've been invited to in OC, but mingling with avowed racists has not been my experience at all for the past several decades when I lived there. I would definitely remember something like that.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Which is why the mixed race couple in Strange World wasn't a blip on anyone's radar. Virtually no one cares about that in 2023. It definitely would have been an issue sixty years ago, and it could have been an issue forty years ago, but it's certainly not an issue today.
Mixed race couples were subjected to decades of ugly prejudice and mistreatment. How many years have to pass before it’s okay for kids to see same-sex relationships in films? Maybe we can just be better this time.

TP2000

Just to double check that I wasn't going crazy, and that party I went to last night was celebrating 2023 and not 1973, I Googled this topic.

Sure enough, Gallup now states that 94% of Americans approve of inter-racial marriage. Like I thought. The married couple's differing races in Strange World was no big deal.

The percentage of non-whites who still disapprove of inter-racial marriage is about the same as whites today. Like I thought.

Mazeltov!.jpg

Chi84

Premium Member
Just to double check that I wasn't going crazy, and that party I went to last night was celebrating 2023 and not 1973, I Googled this topic.

Sure enough, Gallup now states that 94% of Americans approve of inter-racial marriage. Like I thought. The married couple's differing races in Strange World was no big deal.

The percentage of non-whites who still disapprove of inter-racial marriage is about the same as whites today. Like I thought.

View attachment 689436

Did you read the article? It says “solid majorities now support same-sex marriage.” Is there some magic number where children seeing these these couples on film becomes acceptable to you? Some jurisdictional time they’re required to be hidden?

TP2000

Did you read the article? It says “solid majorities now support same-sex marriage.” Is there some magic number where children seeing these these couples on film becomes acceptable to you? Some jurisdictional time they’re required to be hidden?

That would be up to the parents to decide. I am a childless adult. I don't even really like kids, to be brutally honest. 🤣

That said, there is a massive difference between supporting gay marriage and the support for putting gay characters into children's films. Those are two completely different topics and issues. I defer to the parents on how they want to raise their own children, based on their family's culture and values and religions, or perhaps lack thereof for religion.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I dated two Black men in the Carolinas several decades ago (but not at the same time!). Trust me, I am fully aware of the opinions the Black community held on inter-racial couples back then. And that still exist today.

I went to a dinner party up in OC last week, in my old neighborhood. I was seated across the table from a Japanese-American man and his Chicano wife, both in their 60's and have been married for almost 40 years. The party hostess would be someone people would identify as Black, her husband is white. I have absolutely no idea what dinner parties you've been invited to in OC, but mingling with avowed racists has not been my experience at all for the past several decades when I lived there.
LMAO. K, TP.

You were still likely mingling with racists and bigots. Anyone who grew up in Southern California likely is fully aware of how notoriously bigoted and racist Orange County is. Racism was recently just declared a public health crisis out there. Also, just because someone dates or sleeps with someone outside their race, it doesn’t automatically mean they’re not racist. Just because you know interracial couples, that doesn’t mean there aren’t Americans out there shuddering at the interracial couple in Strange World.

I’m not about to get deep into whether or not some Americans are still racist or not with you, because, obviously, of course this is still a thing and always will be. Some of the same folks complaining about gay representation are also warning their white children right now about bringing home a person of color, forbidding them not to do it. These folks are conservative bigots, more likely than not. We know this.

This has gotten into politics, so I’m stopping here. Why don’t you actually watch the movie, if you haven’t already?

TP2000

Did you read the article? It says “solid majorities now support same-sex marriage.”

Just to clarify, that one sentence is the only mention of same-sex marriage in that article I read and posted. It links to a separate article about gay marriage, if anyone is interested.

The support for gay marriage now stands at 70% among Americans, less than the 94% who support inter-racial marriage.

TP2000

LMAO. K, TP.

You were still likely mingling with racists and bigots.

No, I was not. And I will sleep soundly tonight knowing quite clearly that I was not mingling with racists.

If I had been at a party or event where someone made a racist remark, or used bigoted language, I would have exited that situation almost immediately. I can not remember any time within the past few decades where I have been in that type of situation in Southern California, or in my own OC neighborhood that was noticeably racially diverse (and quite friendly!).

The party I went to last night celebrated 2023, not 1953. I happily live in the year 2023. :)

Chi84

Premium Member
That would be up to the parents to decide. I am a childless adult. I don't even really like kids, to be brutally honest. ;)

That said, there is a massive difference between supporting gay marriage and the support for putting gay characters into children's films. Those are two completely different topics and issues. I defer to the parents on how they want to raise their own children, based on their family's culture and values and religions, or perhaps lack thereof for religion.
You’re not making any sense. 94% of Americans support interracial marriage, so it’s okay to show them in children’s films; 70% support same-sex marriage, but it’s up to the moral sensibilities of parents to keep children from seeing them. At what percentage point did it become no longer okay for parents to object to interracial couples?

TP2000

You’re not making any sense. 94% of Americans support interracial marriage, so it’s okay to show them in children’s films; 70% support same-sex marriage, but it’s up to the moral sensibilities of parents to keep children from seeing them. At what percentage point did it become no longer okay for parents to object to interracial couples?

Again, these are issues you need to ask the parents. I am not a parent.

But if you are asking me as a childless adult, let's pretend that I am tasked with babysitting some children and am taking them to the movies. If the children are aged 6 and 8, I would not take them to a movie with an openly gay character in it. That is subject matter that should be handled by the parents when the parents want to discuss sexuality with their kids.

But if I am babysitting children who are aged 14 and 16, I would be far more comfortable taking them to a movie with an openly gay character in it. At that age, it's almost always healthy for them to see that type of thing in movies and media.

There is a giant difference between an 8 year old boy and a 14 year old boy. There is a chasm of difference between a 6 year old boy and a 16 year old boy. I don't blame parents one bit for knowing that instinctively and being cautious and purposeful of when they introduce certain concepts into their child's development.

TP2000

You have zero evidence that Strange World’s failure has anything to do with its gay content (such as it is).

We’ve also been asked to move on from that particular obsession of yours and actually discuss the film itself. Watching it would be a start.

I have absolutely no plans to watch the movie. I have plans to discuss it's financial impact on the Walt Disney Company, and the future impact of future films however.

That said, all this talk pretending it's still the 1960's and we're all secret Klan members here has inspired me to dust off an old favorite film tonight! I'm going to watch Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, which I absolutely adore! I have the Blu-Ray they released a few years ago, but it's at home and I'm at the beach house. But it's streaming in HD on Amazon Prime for 4 bucks!

Look at that, streaming actually works sometimes! :cool:

If anyone hasn't watched that movie, it's a masterpiece. It's surprisingly funny in spots, but that last 10 minutes in the living room with Spencer Tracey's final speech makes me tear me up every damn time. Every. Damn. Time. 🥲

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom