Straight Lines

Nansafan

Original Poster
A topic of discussion in our family for many years has been the lack of straight lines in WDW. Sure, as you walk down Main Street USA you have a straight path for 2 blocks but then you reach the hub and you must make a decision. That's where the gentle rolling curves start. In your walk from the Contemporary to the MK, the pathway is all gentle curves. Walking through the Poly from the Grand Ceremonial house the to guest room building, all gentle curves. Epcot, curves, Animal Kingdom, curves, Studios, curves both water park, curves. Looking at the map of WDW, the roads are all full of gentle curves.

The quickest way from Point A to Point B is a straight line. Though that is probably the point, enjoy the atmosphere as you amble through the park and your resort.

Done rambling now.

Robfasto

And believe it or not there is a reason for this. With all the curves it tends to hide what is coming up help to hide things from constant view.

Everything is always just around the next bend.

scorp111

I know Epcot WS has a lot of curves and few straight lines. :D

If you don't experience it the same way... then you probably are not tasting the various offerings of thirst-quenching liquid the countries provide.

Nansafan

Original Poster
Robfasto said:
And believe it or not there is a reason for this. With all the curves it tends to hide what is coming up help to hide things from constant view.

Everything is always just around the next bend.

I totally appreciate the WOW factor. It is the TIRED factor that I have to deal with as a mom. Walking back to the room late at night, the kids get cranky because they are tired and "Mom why can't we just walk across the grass, our room is right over there?"

As I said, it's a topic of discussion in our family.
Q: "How long will it take to get to...?"
A: "You know it's Disney, it could take 20 minutes, no straight lines."

GenerationX

As Robfasto mentioned, the curves hide what is coming next. In addition to the Wow Factor, they make it easier to keep you immersed in an area's theme by limiting your vision of other areas. I like that. I agree that it makes for more walking, but it's a trade-off I'll gladly take. :)

SpectroMan

It is not just the fact that the curves hide things, but it is also for other reasons. Many curves are never as mundane as many straight lines. Think if the Magic Kingdom was all like Main Street. It would be the same thing over and over.

It is also a psychological thing too. You might be physically more tired, but psycologically you won't be. If you see a long straight line, you think you will actually be walking farther.

Another thing, the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom are about discovery, and what better way to discover than not knowing what is going to be ahead of you.

TTATraveler

Since I mostly walk in straight lines in my everyday life, I certainly don't mind the curves at Disney. Where else in the world would you walk in a curved and twisted path to get to something 100 feet or so away. As others said, it allows you to focus on certain areas plus it makes the property seem so much larger.

TheOneVader

I'm not really sure why, but I like the curves... It gives the pathway and area a simple elegance, that I just can't really explain... It makes things seem a lot nicer and upscale, for reasons unknown...

MicBat

Like a lot of people have said, it's a mental thing. Curved lines tend to make people feel at ease. Look at a lot of the Disney Villians. They're are drawn with straight lines to make them look harsh.

surfsupdon

I for one enjoy the meandering, peaceful promenade at Caribbean Beach. The vistas as you round turns are beautiful.

I prefer the zig zagging gentle turns property wise. "Just around the riverbend..."

Chape19714

The Magic and Wonder have long strait lines why didn't disney make them curved :lookaroun just kidding

True, it makes Disney something very different from the rest of the world

shoppingnut

Nansafan said:
It is the TIRED factor that I have to deal with as a mom. Walking back to the room late at night, the kids get cranky because they are tired and "Mom why can't we just walk across the grass, our room is right over there?"

Because you don't know what might be lurking in the grass, small animals, snakes. Coming from the colder climates, we don't tend to think about that because we don't have the extra "wildlife" that they have in the warmer climates. I know I think to myself at times, gee I wish I could just walk straight to the room and not feel like I'm walking all over the place to get there.

StarMichael

Straight Lines vs. Curves

Curves in the parks and all over WDW are simply there because people tend to cut corners. Do you rather walk an exact 90 degree turn or a curve.

Walt himself used to watch people wherever he went. Some books say that it was Walt´s idea to make walkways curve.

I also believe that theming has a lot to do with curves - as mentioned before.

I´m sure you all know the story of Walt building miniature railroad (Carolwood Pacific) around their garden. They had some disagreement with Lilly because of the railroad. So, Walt agreed to build a tunnel to make the train go under Lilly´s Flowerbeds.
Tunnel was designed to make s-curve so you couldn´t see the other side when you entered the tunnel.
Contractor who came to build the tunnel said to Walt that it would be a lot cheaper to build just a straight tunnel. Walt replied that it would be even cheaper not to build the tunnel at all. Tunnel was built to have the curve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom