Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

Mr.MouseFan

"Fantasyland is dedicated to the young, and the young at heart and to all those who believe that when you wish upon a star, your dreams do come true."
—Walt Disney

Enchanted Tales with Belle fits perfectly with the dedication to Fantasyland. If you're not young enough at heart to enjoy this experience (an experience that was never advertised to be more than what it is), then that's really too bad. I've noticed though that these complaints never really surface when it's some extravagant E-ticket that's built. I don't recall seeing any complaints that 2 or 3 year olds wouldn't be able to ride Everest or even Splash. Not every attraction is going to suit every age group. That would be impossible to do. So take Enchanted Tales with Belle for what it is and for what it always has been...a plussed up Meet and Greet for the young and the young at heart.

ExtinctJenn

Sadly, we would run out of puppies.
I think it's time for another based on the contiuing "me" "no me" "no me" "no me!!" so.... here ya go!

puppies_1_1.jpeg

SirLink

You're right, Walt never made rides with height requirements. I can't stand the "What Walt would have wanted" arguments, more often than not they're unfounded.

Exactly. People forget sometimes Walt had crazy ideas like Ski Lodges and the like. Plus the only people who could really answer that question is Marty Sklar and Diane Disney Miller.

Ignohippo

Not really. Before I had kids, there were many things I skipped. But, I didn't begrudge them their enjoyment and think everything should be about me.

Well put. There's plenty for everyone.

Like I said though, my only disappointment comes from the fact that there wasn't at least one more dark ride included in the FLE (and that doesn't even include how much better the space that's going to be Circusland could have been used).

Ignohippo

If ever there was a land where this kind of attraction is warranted, it's Fantasyland. I have a much bigger problem with the SWMT having a height restriction than I have with a Storytime attraction intended for young kids and families.

There are plenty of thrill rides in WDW. I understand it won't be a major thrill ride, but do they really need to plop a coaster with a height restriction right down right in the middle of Fantasyland? One or two simple dark rides would have been a much better fit and probably would have alleviated the negativity some feel towards Storytime.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If ever there was a land where this kind of attraction is warranted, it's Fantasyland. I have a much bigger problem with the SWMT having a height restriction than I have with a Storytime attraction intended for young kids and families.

There are plenty of thrill rides in WDW. I understand it won't be a major thrill ride, but do they really need to plop a coaster with a height restriction right down right in the middle of Fantasyland? One or two simple dark rides would have been a much better fit and probably would have alleviated the negativity some feel towards Storytime.

But we have only seen a small vocal minority that have a problem with Storytime. No matter what you build you are going to have someone who doesn't like it.

josefalero

As a 25 year old male there are plenty of things in the parks that don't appeal to me. Not a meet and greet fan, and some of the fantasyland rides are just not that enjoyable. The perfect theme park to me is one that has experiences for all age groups and genders, and has ample attractions for all groups.

With that said, the problem that I have with the whole FLE is the massive cost and inevitable price increases to follow for the return we are getting. Magic Kingdom is a park that hasn't added a major E-Ticket ride since Splash Mountain opened. The Belle meet and greet is going to be amazing for little kids and their parents, but the rest of us we're left wondering "what if". I never expected a Fantasyland expansion to include a major thrill ride, but what I did expect from the first expansion in decades was simply "more".

Looking at Carsland at DCA as the most recent expansion in the Disney Parks the differences are glaring. While the Flying Tires, and Mater's ride are nowhere near the level of RSR they are still experiences that the whole family can experience together and give a sense of value that a meet and greet - no matter how heavily themed and plussed - can generate.

The overall problem with not just the FLE, but the whole direction WDW is taking in general is too much reliance on this type of entertainment. As many have pointed out there are some that won't be happy unless is is an ultra-themed thrill ride. There are also others who visit with young children who have to deal with height requirements, or too thrilling of an attraction. The problem is that both of these types of attractions shouldn't come at the expense of one another.

Every time I see the price tag of the whole "Next-Gen" initiative I get a little queasy and think of what could be done with that capital instead of door locks you can wave your card at, and IASW dolls that know your name.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think Walt would have appreciated you not thinking that Walt would appreciate my idea that I think people don't know what Walt would think.

I don't think Walt would appreciate you thinking that Walt would have appreciated the op not thinking that Walt would apprecitate your idea that you think people don't know what Walk would think. ;)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As a 25 year old male there are plenty of things in the parks that don't appeal to me. Not a meet and greet fan, and some of the fantasyland rides are just not that enjoyable. The perfect theme park to me is one that has experiences for all age groups and genders, and has ample attractions for all groups.

With that said, the problem that I have with the whole FLE is the massive cost and inevitable price increases to follow for the return we are getting. Magic Kingdom is a park that hasn't added a major E-Ticket ride since Splash Mountain opened. The Belle meet and greet is going to be amazing for little kids and their parents, but the rest of us we're left wondering "what if". I never expected a Fantasyland expansion to include a major thrill ride, but what I did expect from the first expansion in decades was simply "more".

Looking at Carsland at DCA as the most recent expansion in the Disney Parks the differences are glaring. While the Flying Tires, and Mater's ride are nowhere near the level of RSR they are still experiences that the whole family can experience together and give a sense of value that a meet and greet - no matter how heavily themed and plussed - can generate.

The overall problem with not just the FLE, but the whole direction WDW is taking in general is too much reliance on this type of entertainment. As many have pointed out there are some that won't be happy unless is is an ultra-themed thrill ride. There are also others who visit with young children who have to deal with height requirements, or too thrilling of an attraction. The problem is that both of these types of attractions shouldn't come at the expense of one another.

Every time I see the price tag of the whole "Next-Gen" initiative I get a little queasy and think of what could be done with that capital instead of door locks you can wave your card at, and IASW dolls that know your name.
Isn't it also the case that in all of WDW, there isn't currently one top-notch meet and greet experience. With all the families that arrive with kids, don't they deserve to have at least one meet and greet that pushes the bar higher? I don't have kids, and I love thrill rides and big E-Tickets, but I also understand that the little ones also deserve something extra. This meet and greet attraction raises that bar. There isn't a meet and greet anywhere that is of this level. Not everything is going to be designed for me, and that is fine. I'm good with everyone getting a share of the pie.

phi2134

I think the best way to think about what they are building in fantasyland is that there are the young...and then there are the people who are young at heart....That to me is what Disney is all about.

Witchy Chick

And you can continue to ignore this much as it seems you ignored the previous incarnation. Why does it bother you that Disney decided to take character greetings to a whole new level of immersion? To me, that's Disney doing what it should be doing -- setting the bar for theme park standards.

This was not directed towards me, but I have a theory. All of us "adults" are checking out these forums, and watching the video releases of the FLE attractions. And we see something so cool like the "magic mirror," and the new-style animatronics (Wardrobe and Lumiere). And we get so excited for this attraction. And then.....it's just "storytime with Belle." Mind you -- this has always been touted as a "Storytime with Belle." But I suspect all of the cool stuff leading up to the M&G contributes to elevated expectations for some people.

As a single adult male, I can ride Snow White, Peter Pan, all of this stuff, without a cast member bating an eye lash.

I think the issue with the Belle's is that it is sort of new for Disney to build an attraction which would be awkward for adult guests without little kids to enjoy, even on Casey Jr. adults can enjoy the ride without raising eyebrows.

Remember, there are also a lot of families at Disney with teenagers and mom and dad who would feel uncomfortable in such an attraction, as well as plenty of folks without kids who would feel uncomfortable lining up for such an attraction.

These statements do not compute to me. I do not see much difference in riding "kiddie" rides like Snow White or Peter Pan, and in walking through a kiddie attraction like Storytime with Belle. /shrug

I have kids, but none of my trips to the World have included them (yet). Some of my most fun times and magical moments at Disney have been (obviously) without my kids. On our Disneymoon, we got a surprise M&G with Cinderella on our way out of the park (and were actually headed for the DME/home). I am not a princess fan (far from it) -- but a PhotoPass photographer got a pic of me as we came around the corner and "saw" Cinderella. My eyes lit up like I was a small child. Last Fall, I toured EPCOT solo while my DH ran the W&D half-marathon. I had an absolute blast at Turtle Talk.

If I didn't have kids, I would likely go through the Storytime with Belle M&G. I wouldn't worry about anyone giving me the stink eye for being in a "kiddie" M&G. Aren't we all kids (or kids' at heart) when we are in WDW??

Witchy

flynnibus

Premium Member
Isn't it also the case that in all of WDW, there isn't currently one top-notch meet and greet experience

I think Town Hall and Turtle Talk are aboth examples of top notch M&G experiences.. but I agree there is no reason to not keep improving upon the experiences.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think Town Hall and Turtle Talk are aboth examples of top notch M&G experiences.. but I agree there is no reason to not keep improving upon the experiences.
They are good, but doesn't the addition of multiple rooms, an elaborate queue, and animatronics take Belle way beyond those two?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom