Storybook Circus Land

acr123

Original Poster
Im a little surprised that following the release of the new concept art there hasnt been much discussion about the newly expanded Storybook Circus Land. It looks as though its size has been doubled yet as far as I know we only have two confirmed attractions in that land, both recycled and located at the same end of the property. So what is being developed for the other end of the land? What is that pictured in front of the train station? What is going in those big repurposed circus tents? Wouldnt a lush and colorful "Wonderland" have been a better direction to go than a barren, underdeveloped looking Circus themed land?? lol (just kidding....well KINDA) ;)

Speculation on whats to come in this new land starts here! :king:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
i've been wondering about this as well, and have not had the chance to dig through the thousands of posts to see if there had been any discussion on it. I can't tell from the concept art what is going to exist in the new land. There seems to be more than just Dumbo, Goofini, and the train station. Anyone have any info on it?

JustInTime

Gift shops/Goofy Meet and Greet in the tents and Water playground themed to Casey Jr. towards the back. Oh, and the new train station with Bathrooms.

_Scar

I didn't realize it was called Storybook Circusland.... Casey Jr Train/Storybookland Boats in the future (like DLP)?

Ignohippo

If you look at the concept art, you can see ticket booths at the entrance as well as outside the tents. I'm really hoping there won't be carney games back there. There's also a small children's water play area in the center. I'm sure Country Bounty will remain merchandise.

It's possible we may have some meet and greets back there as well.

IMO, the circus idea is incredibly unimaginative but we'll have to wait and see when more details come out. It seems to be simply a way for them to integrate Dumbo while saving money by keeping the infrastructure that's already there. I understand the need to pull budget from this area to pay for the SWMC but, without details, this seems pretty lame.

Not only that, but if there are games back there, it may be a way for them to make more money off guests by making them pay for games in the middle of a children's area. As a parent, there will be no way to escape it. I'm really hoping this isn't the case.

I'm really surprised, given the disdain for DinoLand, that the message boards aren't going nuts with people complaining about this. As band as DinoLand is, this could be a million times worse. There was talk when rumors started about changes to the new fantasyland expansion that the circus area would be somewhat temporary, until money could be freed up years down the road to redo it into something more permanent. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

acr123

Original Poster
Gift shops/Goofy Meet and Greet in the tents and Water playground themed to Casey Jr. towards the back. Oh, and the new train station with Bathrooms.

I know this is what we know right now BUT I cant believe that this is it. I have a feeling that Disney has more plans up their sleeve for this area. There is no way they could even think they could get away with this kind of offering for an entire LAND. Didnt Pixie Hollow have two rides proposed for that area? If you look at the artwork it appears there are two seperate Q's leading up to the two repurposed tents. Is it possible similar "spinner" rides that were proposed for Pixie Hollow could end up in those tents? All I have to say is there just HAS to be more then we know right now. LEE? RAVEN? Can you offer any help here?

Also is that the proposed water play area right in front of the new train station??

jmuboy

This piece of real estate continues to be the most mysterious of the entire expansion.

Here is what we know:
- Water play area
- Double Dumbo
- Goofini Coaster
- Casey Jr Train (snack food outlet)
- New train station
- New restrooms where Judges Tent is (new area entrance cuts through current Pete’s Garage)
- SPECULATED County Bounty tent reused as Merchandise location
- SPECULATED Meet and Greet Tent stays as Meet and Greet (with what characters?). Would be cool if they surprised us with a spinner inside one of those tents? Maybe themed to the clowns from Dumbo?

Also, it would seem there is still not enough room for a double Dumbo when you look at the over head shot:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=28.418721~-81.579999&style=a&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5219454&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

I know there is work on the Speedway tracks, but there isn't any room to cut that track out and move or remove it. I would guess that is utility work that is causing the Speedway construction????

Maybe the Barn entrance for the Barnstormer will be removed? With Donald’s Boat gone a new Goofini queue could be built between the coaster and the train tracks on the old Boat location

Finally, will the TTF and TL connector path remain?

So many questions still......

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know there is work on the Speedway tracks, but there isn't any room to cut that track out and move or remove it. I would guess that is utility work that is causing the Speedway construction????

Maybe the Barn entrance for the Barnstormer will be removed? With Donald’s Boat gone a new Goofini queue could be built between the coaster and the train tracks on the old Boat location

It's clear by the latest shots of the Speedway construction that they are moving the final curve in further to make room for Dumbo.

Dan

_Scar

This piece of real estate continues to be the most mysterious of the entire expansion.

Here is what we know:
- Water play area
- Double Dumbo
- Goofini Coaster
- Casey Jr Train (snack food outlet)
- New train station
- New restrooms where Judges Tent is (new area entrance cuts through current Pete’s Garage)
- SPECULATED County Bounty tent reused as Merchandise location
- SPECULATED Meet and Greet Tent stays as Meet and Greet (with what characters?). Would be cool if they surprised us with a spinner inside one of those tents? Maybe themed to the clowns from Dumbo?

Also, it would seem there is still not enough room for a double Dumbo when you look at the over head shot:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=28.418721~-81.579999&style=a&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5219454&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Another spinner?!!? What's that? Like 5 in one park? :lol:

And yes there is plenty of room for 2 Dumbos. Plenty.

And Speedway track will not have to be adjusted in any way to accomodate these elephants either. Though, an electric upgrade would be desireable.... EDIT- what? they're adjusting the speedway now?

And yea, the barn is probably for sure going to the dump or being reused somewhere else. And I'm pretty positive the Great Goofini's queue will be queueless using the big tent (I'm not for sure though, just looks like it on the art).

Yes, I don't see why the path would be taken away?

Mad Stitch

I agree with what everyone else it saying. The Cinderella and Aurora meet and greets got replaced with the Snow White coaster. I’m thinking they didn’t have a good alternative for Pixie Hollow, so Circus Land just grew in order to fill the space. Now the mini-land seems too big for Dumbo and Goofini. I bet there is more coming that we don’t know about. The ‘Storybook’ in the title just doesn’t seem to fit with what we know is back there.

In regards to the games, I got the impression from the press release that there were going to be games similar to DinoLand also. But then after reading the posts of others I thought I misunderstood it for the Dumbo next gen queue. Now I don’t know what to think. :shrug:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And Speedway track will not have to be adjusted in any way to accomodate these elephants either. Though, an electric upgrade would be desireable.... EDIT- what? they're adjusting the speedway now?

If you look at the picture here:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/hatetofly/January152011096.jpg

you can see that they have taken out the inside lane, the curbing and have started doing excavation within the loop. This, coupled with the permit from a few weeks ago that was titled Speedway: Track Realignment makes it seem very likely that they are altering the path of the track.

Ignohippo

I agree with what everyone else it saying. The Cinderella and Aurora meet and greets got replaced with the Snow White coaster. I’m thinking they didn’t have a good alternative for Pixie Hollow, so Circus Land just grew in order to fill the space. Now the mini-land seems too big for Dumbo and Goofini. I bet there is more coming that we don’t know about. The ‘Storybook’ in the title just doesn’t seem to fit with what we know is back there.

In regards to the games, I got the impression from the press release that there were going to be games similar to DinoLand also. But then after reading the posts of others I thought I misunderstood it for the Dumbo next gen queue. Now I don’t know what to think. :shrug:

It sure looks like a ticket booth at the entrance. I the concept art of the same location, you can see a child holding up 2 fingers (as if he's buying 2 tickets).

RSoxNo1

Eric Jacobsen said that the new Train Station would be called Fantasyland station, so I'm not expecting Storybook Circus land to be designated as a separate land. I would consider the various areas as villages similar to Serka Zong and Anandapur in Asia over at AK.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It sure looks like a ticket booth at the entrance. I the concept art of the same location, you can see a child holding up 2 fingers (as if he's buying 2 tickets).

The problem with the concept art is that it's not all consistent. In the picture you are refering to there is a tent with Dumbo in the background which gives the impression that it's the Dumbo queue tent, but this doesn't match the appearence of the queue tent in the Dumbo overview image or the full FL image. There isn't even a tent in the full FL image that looks like that one. Same issue with the Mine Ride closeup, it doesn't match the full FL image. So even though these pictures give us a nice idea of what the area is going to look like, we can't draw to many conclusions from them.

ChrisM

There's going to be a Casey Jr. with a series of food booths and a Casey Jr. waterplay area? Jeez, how much Casey Jr do we need, especially given the fact that the vast majority of children (heck, and probably adults) these days have never even seen Dumbo?

I'm going to start calling it Casey Jr Land.

Atomicmickey

If you look at the picture here:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/hatetofly/January152011096.jpg

you can see that they have taken out the inside lane, the curbing and have started doing excavation within the loop. This, coupled with the permit from a few weeks ago that was titled Speedway: Track Realignment makes it seem very likely that they are altering the path of the track.

They don't need to alter the track at all, keeping with the blueprints.

Here's an overlay that I did based upon blueprints provided by Lee.

I think what's being done is drainage work, to accommodate the new building that will be pretty close to the speedway.

The track does not need to move at all.

dumboplace.jpg

lazyboy97o

There's going to be a Casey Jr. with a series of food booths and a Casey Jr. waterplay area? Jeez, how much Casey Jr do we need, especially given the fact that the vast majority of children (heck, and probably adults) these days have never even seen Dumbo?
I do not understand where people keep getting this idea that people have not seen Dumbo. It is constantly available for home purchase. Not because old inventory sits on shelves, but because Disney keeps releasing it over and over again. So either people watch this film or, for some inexplicable reason, keep buying a film that they do not watch.

US Home Release according to Wikipedia:
June 26, 1981 (VHS and Betamax)
June 1982 (Laserdisc)
December 3, 1985 (VHS and Betamax - Walt Disney Classics)
July 12, 1991 (VHS and Laserdisc - 50th Anniversary Edition)
October 28, 1994 (VHS and Laserdisc - Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection)
October 23, 2001 (VHS and DVD - 60th Anniversary Edition)
October 17, 2006 (DVD - Big Top Edition)
March 2007 (DVD - Special Edition)
February 2011 (Blu-ray Disc & DVD - 70th Anniversary Special Edition - Region 1/A)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They don't need to alter the track at all, keeping with the blueprints.

Here's an overlay that I did based upon blueprints provided by Lee.

I think what's being done is drainage work, to accommodate the new building that will be pretty close to the speedway.

The track does not need to move at all.

I agree that it doesn't need to move, but it is really a tight fit so they may want to move it to loosen things up a bit. I also agree that this could just be drainage work, but that still doesn't explain the Track Re-alignment permit. I guess we will know pretty soon when someone takes some more picture of the construction.

Dan

Ignohippo

The problem with the concept art is that it's not all consistent. In the picture you are refering to there is a tent with Dumbo in the background which gives the impression that it's the Dumbo queue tent, but this doesn't match the appearence of the queue tent in the Dumbo overview image or the full FL image. There isn't even a tent in the full FL image that looks like that one. Same issue with the Mine Ride closeup, it doesn't match the full FL image. So even though these pictures give us a nice idea of what the area is going to look like, we can't draw to many conclusions from them.

Yeah, that's obvious. But you can get an impression of what activities are taking place. The tent in the overview and the tent on the close up concept is the same tent at the entrance into CircusLand (but yeah, the concept art looks like it was done in about 15 minutes and is very, very loose).

On both pieces of art, you can see some sort of ticket booth at the front of the tent. There's no reason to have that same booth on both pieces of art unless the artist was specifically told to put it there. That's quite a coincidence. Considering he's standing in from of the man in the booth and waving two fingers, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out they're showing the kid asking the man for two of something.

It may be tickets, it may be ice cream. Who knows? Looks like a ticket booth to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom