Store Closing - Germany

Optimus Mouse

Well, many people who visit disney from other countries are bound to go to their own countries. soccer is the most widely acknowledged sport in the world. its a big thing to alot of international visitors. it must sell good. :shrug:

To that end, I thought they would have made a much bigger deal of the World Cup throughout WS. During our trip in late May you would never have known the World Cup was about to start except for a few merch racks in the African outpost. Opportunity lost imho.

tirian

Soft caramel candies were actually an American "invention" (though not by Hershey). But the roots of caramel as a food product trace back much further....

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

We use the word Caramel as a French word, meaning "Burnt Sugar" they have been making it since the early 1700's, and it is thought to go back even further.

The sugar part has been around for centuries, but Americans were the first to add milk and actually make it the modern version of caramel.

Not that I really care—caramel corn is caramel corn, and I don't care what country it's in as long as I can get it freshly popped! :slurp: Plus, the company is German, so it fits as much as pretzels and coffee do in Norway.

Bolna

Which never existed in the real world, because caramel is an American creation. :ROFLOL:

I live in Germany and haven't seen a single freestanding (or otherwise) caramel shop/kitchen. Not even in a bakery around here. And the chocolate guy only brings chocolate, never caramel or anything else.

I absolutely agree with both of you and even the name is wrong, see my earlier post on that topic: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=4141205#post4141205

Actually they should have a Deep Fried Food Kitchen in The American Adventure.

Wait. They do already. The Funnel Cake place. :lol:

And the funny thing is that deep fried dough is popular in Germany as well, so maybe that might be even more authentic than the caramel shop.

However a quick search came up with this site: http://home.comcast.net/~osoono/ethnic-doughs.htm fried dough appears to be a global dish!

If heard before and I tried to research but with moderate success, that Goebel will no longer make hummels from their German manufacturing plant.

http://www.giftsanddec.com/article/460683-Goebel_Germany_to_Discontinue_Hummel_Figurines.php

I don't know if this shift to Asian manufactured hummels has anything to do with the store closing.

Yes, Goebel appears to have stopped making them, but a different manufacturer in German supposedly has taken over. But it might be that a distribution agreement between Disney and Goebel has ended now or that the new manufacturer does not want to continue to make the Disney Hummel figurines.

And btw, this was not a very authentic shop either. Hummel figurines have not been popular in Germany for about 50 years or so. Goebel was mainly producing them for the American market anyway...

EmperorMilenko

To that end, I thought they would have made a much bigger deal of the World Cup throughout WS. During our trip in late May you would never have known the World Cup was about to start except for a few merch racks in the African outpost. Opportunity lost imho.

thats a shame. they could have made a killin' selling those annoying ______ horns

krisrunsdisney

I LIKE THAT!!!!!! :slurp::slurp::slurp::D

You totally would! He only comes by the BX in the cooler/cold months. The chocolate melts very easily, much faster than chocolate chips left out at the same temperature. But it's some fantastic chocolate from the Black Forest region. Best chocolate I've ever had!

Is the christmas shop going to stay?

I hope so. Now THAT is authentic Germany!The Christmas Markets are amazing.

Bolna

You totally would! He only comes by the BX in the cooler/cold months. The chocolate melts very easily, much faster than chocolate chips left out at the same temperature. But it's some fantastic chocolate from the Black Forest region. Best chocolate I've ever had!

Could that be a local thing where you live? I never had a chocolate delivery man coming around where I lived. Would have been great, though!! :slurp:

I hope so. Now THAT is authentic Germany!The Christmas Markets are amazing.

I agree - only the Christmas pickle isn't authentic! Modern Germans have never heard about it and it seems like no one is able to figure out how this custom developed. Christmas pickles are produced in Germany, but only for the export to the USA. :)

Rosso11

As much as I love candy I think they should put a small micro brewery somewhere into Epcot. Germany would be great but it wouldn't have to be limited to being placed into Germany. England or America would also work great. Sam Adams does a very good beer demonstration during Food and Wine festival ever year that is very popular. If they made it into almost a test pilot brewery where they are always experimenting with different styles it could be really fun and create a reason for repeat visits. Then the brewery could supply different beers to various restaurants around property. I know Seaworld use to do something similar but that has since stopped since Bud sold the parks and it was definitely a crowd favorite over there. I'm sure the free beer samples also had something to do with it.

krisrunsdisney

Could that be a local thing where you live? I never had a chocolate delivery man coming around where I lived. Would have been great, though!! :slurp:

He doesn't deliver (unlike the beer man, now he delivers some yummy awesomeness too!). He's at our BX on the Air Force base here. But only in the late autumn, winter and spring months. He left after Mother's Day this year. And he's not there every weekend. Wish he was, though it's expensive and not good for the waistline. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom