Stitch = BLAH!

25and7

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I know I'm probably just adding fuel to the fire here but I feel I have to get this off of my chest.​

Prior to getting on SGE I had this weird feeling in me that maybe everyone is just expecting too much and the attraction wasn't that bad.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

After getting off the attraction this was my exact quote: "that was Imagineering gone horribly wrong"

Seriously, it almost felt for that time that I was in that attraction that I had been taken off Disney property and put in some cheap side show attraction!

I must say that on my list of attractions on WDW property SGE comes in dead last behind even such attractions like the Enchanted Tiki Room and Journey into Your Imagination!

What a colosal waste of space, time, and money.

to Disney Imagineers: I quote the movie 'Billy Madison' - "I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul!" :lol:

General Grizz

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I wouldn't blame the Imagineers. Sources say many of them were stuck with the project, even though they knew it would flop. Such is the same for several aspects of Disney's California Adventure.

Who to blame? The Walt Disney Corporate Setup, which has allowed the potty humor and weak, unoriginal storytelling to blossom, and Strategic Planning, which slashed the budget in over a half. While Bob Iger has cut down Strategic Planning, many of the department heads still run the corporation (i.e. Jay Rasulo). Iger, however, has been quoted as saying that Strategic Planning will still exist, but "per business." Will this solve the S.P. issue? Who's to know at this point.

But the Corporate Structure/Marketing Frenzy isn't going anywhere so far as I know. Talented Imagineers aren't able to produce classic attractions with limited budget and little in the way of freedom in original thinking (i.e. most new rides should either be based on high thrills or very marketable characters), and as a result of a poor attraction thrown upon them and flopping, many are fired.

Actually, there are several layoffs in Imagineering a week now on average. It's getting pretty bad out there. Only a reflection of the Stitch attraction, I guess.

P.S. Go to Disneyland - the original Tiki Room is looking better than ever!

25and7

Account Suspended
Original Poster
General Grizz said:
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I wouldn't blame the Imagineers. Sources say many of them were stuck with the project, even though they knew it would flop. Such is the same for several aspects of Disney's California Adventure.

Who to blame? The Walt Disney Corporate Setup, which has allowed the potty humor and weak, unoriginal storytelling to blossom, and Strategic Planning, which slashed the budget in over a half. While Bob Iger has cut down Strategic Planning, many of the department heads still run the corporation (i.e. Jay Rasulo). Iger, however, has been quoted as saying that Strategic Planning will still exist, but "per business." Will this solve the S.P. issue? Who's to know at this point.

But the Corporate Structure/Marketing Frenzy isn't going anywhere so far as I know. Talented Imagineers aren't able to produce classic attractions with limited budget and little in the way of freedom in original thinking (i.e. most new rides should either be based on high thrills or very marketable characters), and as a result of a poor attraction thrown upon them and flopping, many are fired.

Actually, there are several layoffs in Imagineering a week now on average. It's getting pretty bad out there. Only a reflection of the Stitch attraction, I guess.

P.S. Go to Disneyland - the original Tiki Room is looking better than ever!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I knew that Disney was making cut backs but I didn't exactly know the magnitude of them.

I retract my statement about the Imagineers and now redirect it at Bob Iger.

General Grizz

2 said:
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I knew that Disney was making cut backs but I didn't exactly know the magnitude of them.

I retract my statement about the Imagineers and now redirect it at Bob Iger.
Not necessarily Bob Iger (remember he's not in control yet, and things have the POTENTIAL to change). But the Strategic Planning group in general, along with Disney's Accountaneers and Marketeers, might be a bit closer to what you're looking for. :)

Of course, you could always consider generically crediting the problem to a man running the company at this point and has/had the power to shift around management...:lookaroun

Enderikari

Who to Blame? How about nobody? The simple fact remains that Stitch's Great Escape is appealing to people, and there are thousands of happy people who enjoy it everyday.

It doesn't appeal to you.

You can't make a global statement and say it is a terrible attraction that nobody enjoys.

General Grizz

Enderikari said:
Who to Blame? How about nobody? The simple fact remains that Stitch's Great Escape is appealing to people, and there are thousands of happy people who enjoy it everyday.

You can't make a global statement and say it is a terrible attraction that nobody enjoys.

There *are* thousands of people who have enjoyed this attraction, but it has become one of the most complained-about shows in the Magic Kingdom from the overall public. . . hence, the Imagineers have constantly been sent back to "fix it."

Robfasto

Enderikari said:

But how many of those people would go on it twice?

I went last month with a 10 and 12 year old who had never seen Alien Encounter and both of them hated it, thought it was gross and didn't want to go back. Nearly every other ride we went on they wanted to ride again and again, yet Stitch's Great Escape was a big fat NO that's O.K. I always thought this was the age group Disney was going for yet most children I have talk to that have been on it don't like it.

It was also my first time seeing it and I must say I will NEVER go again unless it is with a first time visitor that would like to ride and that is only so they won't have to go alone.

dr_teeth90210

2,5, & 7... What else do you hate? Go ahead and get all of them off of your chest that way I don't have to come into the "WDW General Discussion" everydayjust to read another "I hate ---fill in the blank---" thread that you started. Thank You.

Dr_Teeth

kiawahman

Account Suspended
I too felt stitch was not done very well at all. What it really comes down to is the budget for the attraction was not very much. If disney is not going to spend enough money to do an attraction worthy of the magic kingdom then they should not do one at all.

Testtrack321

dr_teeth90210 said:
2,5, & 7... What else do you hate? Go ahead and get all of them off of your chest that way I don't have to come into the "WDW General Discussion" everydayjust to read another "I hate ---fill in the blank---" thread that you started. Thank You.

Dr_Teeth

So he can't hate EMH for long lines and bad layout, he can't hate Stitch as a bad ride, so, I guess he needs to be always positive? I understand that he isn't he most cuddly and approachable when it comes to discussions, but still, these are valid points, and I'd rather have these discussions over "WHAT ABOUT A HARRY POTTER RIDE!" threads...

dr_teeth90210

Testtrack321 said:
So he can't hate EMH for long lines and bad layout, he can't hate Stitch as a bad ride, so, I guess he needs to be always positive? I understand that he isn't he most cuddly and approachable when it comes to discussions, but still, these are valid points, and I'd rather have these discussions over "WHAT ABOUT A HARRY POTTER RIDE!" threads...

He's entitled to his "hate threads" and I'm entitled to hate his "hate threads".

WDWnahtazu

Enderikari said:

That sounds like the response of someone on the defense. Relax, its not like he said "SGE stinks. I'll never go to a Disney park again." He's merely stating what MOST people feel.

And despite what anyone with the "lets all pretend disney is perfect" attitude says, criticism is the clearest and most effective form of expressing that something may need to be rethought. If he, or anyone else who is capable of honesty, shows displeasure with a ride then its because they actually care enough to have an opinion. If we dont care then we wouldnt bother reading or posting these types of threads.

Enderikari

General Grizz said:
There *are* thousands of people who have enjoyed this attraction, but it has become one of the most complained-about shows in the Magic Kingdom from the overall public. . . hence, the Imagineers have constantly been sent back to "fix it."

Really? Where are those complaints? The only time I hear people complaining about it are on these or other internet "fan" sites just like it. In the park... In Real Life... there are actually very few complaints from guests. In fact, to tell you the absolute truth, Carousel of Progress has many more issued verbal complaints inside the Magic Kingdom. Let's get rid of that, shall we? There's a lot of room inside that attraction for something the Magic Kingdom truly needs, a nice, well-themed Tomorrowland table service resteraunt.

PirateStagehand

I've said it before but the ride isn't that bad. People complaining about how "cheap" it is seems ridiculous. Look at the AA. Nothing in the parks come close to the smoothness of their movements. The story isn't the best but is it really that much weaker than AE. The technology is fantastic and there are some of us out here that enjoy the rides on more than just the face value alone. Remember folks the rides have to appeal to ALL AGES not just adults and not just kids. If you don't like it just go to COP and forever live in the nostalgia of the past rides.

CHI-HAWKS 65

I can't wait to ride SGE for the first time in September. I loved AE and I am trying to ride Stitch with an open mind. Not since Mr. Toad was removed for Winnie the Pooh has WDW replaced a ride I liked with something else. I was pleasantly surprised with the Pooh ride, which I consider very entertaining. Hopefully, I will find Stitch to be entertaining as well. But even with an open mind I won't be holding my breath. Except at the chili dog part.

DisneyFreak529

I was a big AE fan and I am willing to give Stitch a chance. I also think that you should be so hard on the ride. I think that kids would find it really cool!!

25and7

Account Suspended
Original Poster
PirateStagehand said:
I've said it before but the ride isn't that bad. People complaining about how "cheap" it is seems ridiculous. Look at the AA. Nothing in the parks come close to the smoothness of their movements. The story isn't the best but is it really that much weaker than AE. The technology is fantastic and there are some of us out here that enjoy the rides on more than just the face value alone. Remember folks the rides have to appeal to ALL AGES not just adults and not just kids. If you don't like it just go to COP and forever live in the nostalgia of the past rides.

About 99.9% of people in WDW parks don't want to just marvel at the 'smoothness' of the AA. THEY WAN'T A GOOD STORY!

That's like saying that people go on ISAW just to marvel at the many AA figures. Come on dude. Why do you think people like CoP so much? It's definately not for the AA, it's for the story it portrays.

Ok, so I'm supposed to like the attraction just because it has the latest "cutting edge" technology?

And by you saying: "the rides have to appeal to ALL AGES not just adults and not just kids." Ok when I went on SGE there were 9 people in my group that range from the age of 12 to 55 and each and every person in the group disliked the attraction. It seems that the attractions appeals to a very slim age group that we as a group didn't cover.

General Grizz

I'll just throw out this attractions rating system.

STORY: /25 POINTS
Clear, creative, original storyline? /10
Do the elements and effects serve the storyline? /10
Is the story relevant/do we care?/Does the audience act in an active position? /5

AUDIENCE APPEAL: /20 POINTS
Young children? /5
Adolescents/young adults? /5
Parents/adults? /5
Seniors? /5

METHOD: /20 POINTS
Novel technologies? /10
Is the attraction quality up to Disney standards? /10

ENGAGING ELEMENTS: /20 POINTS
Endearing or effecive characters/emotional story? /10
Inspiration or fulfillment/take-home point/message? /10

OTHER ELEMENTS: /15 POINTS
Queue/Preshow and/or Postshow? /5
Music/soundtrack? /5
Does this attraction truly add to the themed land/park/resort? /5

Reviews from the WDWMagic fan community available here: http://www.inquisitivemonkey.co.uk/grizz-o-meter/attractions.php?a=30&p=1

tinkish

I haven't been on the ride yet. So.......can someone describe what's so bad about it? What's the part that's so unappealling? I think Stitch is a cutie! And I enjoyed the movie.....so I can't wait to try the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom