Stitch as the "new" Mickey?

hrcollectibles

Oh, I'm not bashing it, I was just explaining it from the Alien Encounter fan standpoint. I have no problem with SGE, and too believe Stitch is an amazing animatronic, right up there, if not better then Hopper at AK. Believe me, i've taken heat before here for defending the change from AE to SGE, but having having been a huge fan of Mr. Toad, I completely understand AE fans' dissapointment.

Who or what is Hopper?

EMThompsen

Stitch , the new Mickey! Blasphemy!!! Let us not forget our roots. It all started with a mouse.
Oh, and while I love the character of Winnie The Pooh (see my signature)... yeah the ride is a bit dull.

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
I too love Stitch, but I see him more as a Donald Duck.

I find them both to be misunderstood!

Misunderstood, indeed! An interesting comparison, thanks for posting it.

I don't think Stitch will ever, or can ever, have the impact of a Mickey Mouse character (not just Mickey Mouse, but a character of his ilk). Gone are the days of the cartoon short, and in are the days of the direct-to-dvd sequel. Stitch is not a character who will grow more revered with time due to his new roles, but one who will grow more reviled as Disney tries to 'cash in' on Lilo and Stitch 11: Stitch's Vegas Adventure. Further, unlike Mickey Mouse, who can play an array of roles (Bob Cratchit, a prince, etc), Stitch cannot play human roles as he is an unintelligible martian.

I would argue that the last Disney cartoon to capitalize on existing characters without making the public tired of them would be Rescue Rangers. Maybe the show Timon and Pumba had, I'm uncertain whether that was a success.

They can stamp Stitch on as much merchandise as they want, he won't have the staying power unless there is new substantive content (cartoons, movies) that have quality and originality.

A very good point, one I hadn't thought about before.

I'm a huge fan of Stich, as well. I've got all of the movies and TV shows on DVD, and I even like Stitch's Great Escape (way more than that building's former occupant). I know, though, he could never be as popular (in terms of staying power) as Mickey, but I do see your point in their similarities. I certainly can't see Stitch evolving in an almost human form like Mickey. I'm also not certain what kind of future there might be for Stitch now. Chris Sanders, his creator and voice, no longer works for Disney. This is truly unfortunate, as he was one of their best. I know Stitch's voice isn't hard to duplicate (I do it all the time), but the idea of continuing to do more Lilo and Stitch films/TV shows just seems wrong when their "father" is no longer around to guide them. Not that that would stop Disney...

Another great point...you're right, a large part of Stitch's appeal is his "alienness"(for lack of a batter word). (p.s. - I do Stitch a lot too..:lookaroun )

As much as I like Stitch, I honestly couldn't imagine him being elevated to an icon status on the same level as Mickey. Secondly, and i'm sure to the delight of many on these boards, Stitchmania seems to have definately lost some steam, if not for any other reason then the onslaught of all things involving pirates. With the rumored end of straight to DVD movies, everyone's favorite Alien Encounter killing drooling koala won't get much further then endless repeats on the Disney channels, and whatever new merchandising gets cooked up for him. Still like him, think he's a great character, but he seems to have hit the ceiling as far as creative potential is concerned.

:lol: . And hooray for endless repeats on the Disney Channels...

Its way to early in the morning for alcohol people :hammer: I dont see how anyone could put Mickey and that blue thing in the same category.

It is never too early for alcohol...or so I've heard. :lookaroun

Stitch , the new Mickey! Blasphemy!!! Let us not forget our roots. It all started with a mouse.
Oh, and while I love the character of Winnie The Pooh (see my signature)... yeah the ride is a bit dull.

LOL! Indeed, I will never forget that it all started with a mouse...but thanks for the reminder.:)

Thanks everyone (not just those I've quoted) for posting. Lots of great replies here. :sohappy:

Laura

Premium Member
Walt Disney said, "When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."

That's what Stitch lacks.

Also, Stitch is not even in the same league as Mickey in any regard.

EMThompsen

It's intersting to see the way different generations react to different characters. When I watched the Stars & Motor Cars Parade at Disney-MGM I noticed the way people reacted as each car approached them. Based on their age, people had different responses .For example, one age group went crazy for Stitch... another age group did not have a big reaction to Stitch but loved the Power Rangers... & those of us, of a certain age reacted to characters like the Seven Dwarfs or Goofy or Mary Poppins But... Everyone, not matter what age always had a big reaction to Mickey. You can't beat the classics:animwink:

mharrington

I don't like Stitch one bit. That little creep is overrated, annoying, incomprehensible, obnoxious and stupid. I have to ask: Why, oh, why is the public so foolish enough to like someone who in my opinion is obnoxious and overrated?

fizzle75

Its way to early in the morning for alcohol people :hammer: I dont see how anyone could put Mickey and that blue thing in the same category.

My thoughts exactly. While I like Stitch and there is no doubt he has had a huge cultural impact he should in no way be considered a successor to Mickey. For me, that is borderline blasphemy.:fork:

fizzle75

I don't like Stitch one bit. That little creep is overrated, annoying, incomprehensible, obnoxious and stupid. I have to why ask: Why, oh, why is the public so foolish enough to like someone who in my opinion is obnoxious and overrated?[/quote]

Are we talking about Stitch or Rosie O'Donnell? Now I'm confused!:lookaroun

Dayma

Stitch can't replace Mickey in marketing for one simple reason....he can't talk. He is also not a character that crosses generations which means that you would isolate parts of your target audience. JMO.....

Miss Stitch

:rolleyes: Apparently, the logic being passed around here is that Mickey is a replaceable character. Mickey=Disney. Duh.

What's wrong with a profit? Stitch was made 18 years before the movie was even put into production! Stitch was created by a young man who had a dream to make a movie. Not sell out 'better' characters, not take over the parks, just make a movie. And Winnie the Pooh? Oh wait, he made profit too! A popular character! BLASPHEMY! ABSOLUTE BLASPHEMY! Take it off the shelves before it makes any money because that's a horrible thing to do in the business world.

The sad thing is, you guys don't give Stitch enough credit. Despite what you've seen at the parks, he DOES have a very human character as far as the first movie goes. He's an outcast, made to have no actual heart..but he does. That's a character. A real character.

Why does Stitch have to get the bad end of the stick because of some idiots at Disney Channel? He doesn't. If you think he does, it's because you're taking it out of hand and letting it get to your head. He's just a cartoon character. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the company you've been worshipping for God knows how long, not a 2D drawing.

I've been to the Disney Store multiple times the last few months and Stitch is pretty much off of the shelves. You can really, REALLY stop whining about the merchandise...

I should close up before I explode. Walt said to keep moving forward. Stitch is new. You can't be old fashioned forever. I adore the Fab Five, all old Disney movies, and anything of the sort. But that doesn't mean you should hate something because it's quirky and original. I would expect a little more from adults...

Cmdr_Crimson

Stitch is Disney's Alternative to Warner Brothers Tazmanian Devil..Since Taz & Tweety are on so much merchandise it's no surprise that Stitch & Tink are Disney's side to this...

DisneyNut2007

:rolleyes: Apparently, the logic being passed around here is that Mickey is a replaceable character. Mickey=Disney. Duh.

What's wrong with a profit? Stitch was made 18 years before the movie was even put into production! Stitch was created by a young man who had a dream to make a movie. Not sell out 'better' characters, not take over the parks, just make a movie. And Winnie the Pooh? Oh wait, he made profit too! A popular character! BLASPHEMY! ABSOLUTE BLASPHEMY! Take it off the shelves before it makes any money because that's a horrible thing to do in the business world.

The sad thing is, you guys don't give Stitch enough credit. Despite what you've seen at the parks, he DOES have a very human character as far as the first movie goes. He's an outcast, made to have no actual heart..but he does. That's a character. A real character.

Why does Stitch have to get the bad end of the stick because of some idiots at Disney Channel? He doesn't. If you think he does, it's because you're taking it out of hand and letting it get to your head. He's just a cartoon character. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the company you've been worshipping for God knows how long, not a 2D drawing.

I've been to the Disney Store multiple times the last few months and Stitch is pretty much off of the shelves. You can really, REALLY stop whining about the merchandise...

I should close up before I explode. Walt said to keep moving forward. Stitch is new. You can't be old fashioned forever. I adore the Fab Five, all old Disney movies, and anything of the sort. But that doesn't mean you should hate something because it's quirky and original. I would expect a little more from adults...

Excellent post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom