Still versus video?

KeithVH

Original Poster
What's your druthers? Looking through some of my archive today and realized, even after 30-odd visits, I have almost no video at the parks. I honestly never went with the thought to specifically shoot video. Which is a little weird as I was raised by a dad who shot video weekly and was constantly exposed to it. Got tons and tons of stills, especially the kids. But, as I think back, I can remember not wanting to experience the fun through a small, small screen holding the cam up for 20 or 30 minutes (like a parade).

I get the whole video thing nowadays for social media but it's nowhere near a driver for me. And with most of the platforms having just 15-45 seconds of play time, I just wonder, from a park enjoyment perspective, whether shooting video is worth it.

Anyone else ignore movin' pictures in favor of real photography?

fractal

What's your druthers? Looking through some of my archive today and realized, even after 30-odd visits, I have almost no video at the parks. I honestly never went with the thought to specifically shoot video. Which is a little weird as I was raised by a dad who shot video weekly and was constantly exposed to it. Got tons and tons of stills, especially the kids. But, as I think back, I can remember not wanting to experience the fun through a small, small screen holding the cam up for 20 or 30 minutes (like a parade).

I get the whole video thing nowadays for social media but it's nowhere near a driver for me. And with most of the platforms having just 15-45 seconds of play time, I just wonder, from a park enjoyment perspective, whether shooting video is worth it.

Anyone else ignore movin' pictures in favor of real photography?

I still love taking stills but have made more of an effort of getting video the last few trips. 25 years ago I did much more video with a dedicated "camcorder" and we all love going back and viewing those. The latest smart phones have great video capabilities. Not as potentially cinematic as a "real" camera but for purposes of documenting and saving memories certainly up to the task and easy to you. One thing I do when I take video on my phone is turn it horizontal - I hate the "tall, skinny framing.

King Panda 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm a pictures guy. I do like taking the occasional video on my phone when I want to document a particular sound (birdsong etc)

Vegas Disney Fan

We’ll take some video with characters but otherwise it’s mostly pictures.

Parades, fireworks, shows, etc I never video… not beyond a 10 second short anyway. I’d rather enjoy the show in person and watch someone’s 4K video from a stable tripod on YouTube than watch my shaky camera video anyway.

KeithVH

Original Poster
Yeah, I've realized why I don't shoot video. I have to pay attention to what I'm doing rather than being in the moment. When I take stills, I'm mostly shooting because that is what I want to do. Grab shots happen but less than 10% of the time.

Besides, there are several on here who have posted some amazing park video. I'm thinking, when I have access to that, why would I spend my time trying to make something marginally better (or most likely worse)?

ddbowdoin

Personally have preferred video lately but its a whole different can of worms for me. I have a seperate video rig (Fuji Xh2s) and its built into a nice lil mini cine rig with a cage / top handle / and monitor. That combined with vintage optics and shooting RAW really create some magic when color graded. The issue for me is "the juice worth the squeeze" after all the editing, the massive file issue, and ultimately the gluttony of disney footage on YouTube.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom