Steadycam/Glidecam at the Parks

JPWDW2

Original Poster
Hello:

Does any of you all videographer and photographs fanatics has ever brought to Disneyland or Walt Disney World a steadycam (specifically, a Glidecam), which are camera stabilizers inside the park´s rides and shows?

I will be going to Disneyland Resort in late January, but as I have never seen this gear ever used at the theme parks I have the big doubt that I may not be allowed to bring them inside (maybe for safety reasons or because I look kinda pro with them). I contacted Disneyland to see if I got an official response from them, but they just sent me a letter with which cameras were allowed and nothing about the stabilizer.

I want to know, if I could get inside the parks this: Glidecam´s HD-1000 and Glidecam´s Body-Pod for that stabilizer. My camera is a Sony HVR-A1U.

Photos:
HD-1000

579906.jpg

Body-Pod

112217.jpg

If any of you are or were cast members and specially those at the entrance´s Security Check points I would like to know before I go o the parks any answer on this. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day!

s8film40

I have seen one or two of the Brazilian groups using one but other than that it's not too common. I would guess that you would eventually encounter a problem. Many (not all) of the security guards are on huge power trips and will likely make a big deal of it. If your friendly and polite about it it will probably get you a little further.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would think that anyone that has a Steadycam IS a pro.

Also your camera is considered a "Pro" camera even by Sony.

JPWDW2

Original Poster
What is your reason for wanting to use this?
I want to get smooth shots from the rides and attractions. I want to record for my family and to get a Disney memory back home. Im a video editor where I live and I was wondering why not taking the stabilizer to the parks to get beter videos. Like trying something new instead of using the tripod or a monopod.

I have seen one or two of the Brazilian groups using one but other than that it's not too common. I would guess that you would eventually encounter a problem. Many (not all) of the security guards are on huge power trips and will likely make a big deal of it. If your friendly and polite about it it will probably get you a little further.
Thanks for the tip, I have very clear that if its not allowed I will have to step back and go back to the hotel and leave it there. Im just hoping to bring it in.

JPWDW2

Original Poster
I would think that anyone that has a Steadycam IS a pro.

Also your camera is considered a "Pro" camera even by Sony.
Haha, maybe, but I almost never use it. I usually spend more hours on the computer than practicing with it. I bought like a year ago to use it when we have family trips.

s8film40

The more "pro" you look the more likely they are to perceive it as an issue. I would also suggest looking more touristy, and if your family is with you this will help.

The area between consumer and pro is so very grey right now. With prices always getting lower, I have seen very amateur tourists using high end cameras like the canon XL line as well as every imaginable high end DSLR.

Basically the bigger and flashier the whole thing looks the more likely you are to have problems. To me the best way to get good high quality stabilized video in the park would be to get one of the newer DSLR that does really good HD video and some sort of small stabilizer for that.

JPWDW2

Original Poster
Yeah, that is another issue. I dont want to be confused as a professional, and I am not. Im a guest with extravagant ideas. I just hope to bring it in, which is why I posted the thread to see some opinions and maybe one or two nearby offical responses or from people that has had a similar issue before. And if there is a chance, then perfect!

CP_alum08

I've seen people get hassled for having tripods because they look too professional. personally I wouldn't even chance it, like others have said, get a newer DLSR with HD video and make the best of it!

JPWDW2

Original Poster
So, what I'm trying to do here is get a very smooth and steady shot of the main rides from Disneyland Park. I have taught in several ideas besides the Glidecam system. Actually, it does looks very big.

My ideas:
Sony Pro Tripod with remote and fluid head
Pros> No problem at entrance or at rides, steady shots, great panning and tilting.
Cons> Bumps and hard moves are very notable (example: Big Thunder Mountain. I wont get that smoothness I want)

Glidecam without Body-Pod
Pros> I will get all I want from smooth shots and more.
Cons> Entrance or cm problems, they may not allow it on certain rides. I would loose my right arm and hand.

Tripod with steadycam/stability system included.
Does this even exists?

What do you guys say? Thanks!

s8film40

BillyBuff

So, what I'm trying to do here is get a very smooth and steady shot of the main rides from Disneyland Park. I have taught in several ideas besides the Glidecam system. Actually, it does looks very big.

My ideas:
Sony Pro Tripod with remote and fluid head
Pros> No problem at entrance or at rides, steady shots, great panning and tilting.
Cons> Bumps and hard moves are very notable (example: Big Thunder Mountain. I wont get that smoothness I want)

Glidecam without Body-Pod
Pros> I will get all I want from smooth shots and more.
Cons> Entrance or cm problems, they may not allow it on certain rides. I would loose my right arm and hand.

Tripod with steadycam/stability system included.
Does this even exists?

What do you guys say? Thanks!

Maybe something smaller and compact that can be used with one hand?

http://www.steadicam.com/handheldmerlin.html

This might be what you're looking for. Here's a video demo of it being used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_Tyc9mTa4

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom