Staying Warm and Dry

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
It's been in the 40's here lately so I've been running with a hoodie. Needless to say, I finish all my runs very sweaty. I've gone to a few stores to find a running jacket with wicking abilities, but I'm not finding much. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?

dreamfinder

Running in the cold is a funky thing to do. Good rule of thumb is to expect to be cold for the first mile or so, and then shoot to dress like its 15 degrees warmer than it really is. In my experience at least, outer wear doesn't usually wick. Your inner base layers wick the sweat away, but thats it. The outer layer should be breathable to help with the inner wicking, but is really meant to be providing wind protection/warmth. Personally I would wear something like the Under Armor heat gear (or maybe cold gear, can never remember which is which) compression layer, with a hat and gloves. And even that might be a bit much.

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
Yes, I guess breathable was probably a better term that I should have used. It’s the space between my inner and outer layers that gets hot and sweaty. Everything I’ve seen looks like it’s intended to be used with multiple layers and I just want a single jacket.

Mr mom

I have an awesome jacket for the colder temps, lots of vent holes etc, unfortunately I don't think you guys have the running room in the states, so I am not sure what to call the jacket. I don't start wearing a jacket until it is cold enough for water to freeze.

JillC LI

Layers layers layers. As it gets cooler, I am starting to wear a thin long sleeve wicking shirt these days for my runs. As the temp gets colder, I will add a thin breathable jacket over that. When it gets colder, I will put a fleece shirt in between the long sleeve wicking shirt and the jacket. And when it is ridiculously cold, I will change my thin wicking shirt for an Under Armour long sleeve turtleneck heat insulated shirt that still wicks. I ALWAYS have wicking material next to my skin. That goes for bottoms too. I also add a wicking hat and gloves when needed. I still sweat a LOT but the wicking makes it comfortable. I agree with the suggestion that you try to tolerate the cold for your first mile because you WILL warm up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom