Staying on site or off site?

Staying on site or off site?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Another day, another poll.

Now, lets look at the on site vs off site debate. I personally feel, staying on site with all the perks it offers is much better than staying off site at any price. I would rather pay the 80 bucks a night at a Pop Century, ( God forbid, Deluxe ONLY for me! ), than the 50 dollar special found on the net at what may be some crappy toilet called a hotel room in words only.

And if you seriously look at it, the measly 10-20 bucks you save staying at a cheaper hotel gets consumed with car rental, gas and other things your really not saving anything at all. Plus, some place with a 150 dollar special will not go that extra mile for you like Disney.

My thoughts. On site or nothing.

Discuss.

NewfieFan

This past June was my first time staying onsite (All-Star Music) and I'll never stay offsite again! I thought the resort was great! I loved coming back to my hotel in the night and still feeling the "Disney feeling". You were always in the magic - at least that's how I felt. I didn't mind Disney transportation either, actually I liked not having to worry about driving! I encourage everyone who's on a budget to try the value resorts. The rooms were big enough for our needs, the pools entertained our young children, and the food court wasn't an issue b/c we only ate their once. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the parks and you're only using your room for sleeping - a value resort is the way to go!!!

eroyee

This past June was my first time staying onsite (All-Star Music) and I'll never stay offsite again! I thought the resort was great! I loved coming back to my hotel in the night and still feeling the "Disney feeling". You were always in the magic - at least that's how I felt. I didn't mind Disney transportation either, actually I liked not having to worry about driving! I encourage everyone who's on a budget to try the value resorts. The rooms were big enough for our needs, the pools entertained our young children, and the food court wasn't an issue b/c we only ate their once. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the parks and you're only using your room for sleeping - a value resort is the way to go!!!
I totally agree with this one except stay at POP......

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
I feel if people actually STAY on site, they would never stay off site again. Yes, it makes that much a difference.

kimmychad

I feel if people actually STAY on site, they would never stay off site again. Yes, it makes that much a difference.

we stayed onsite twice, but when we go back in sept we'll be getting a resort home offsite. just cant see paying for 2 rooms, as my mother-in-law and her cousin are going with me and my wife. the resort home is really inexpensive for how many people it sleeps

Doombuggy13

I agree! Having stayed off site many years ago and then on site the past two trips, I can never go off site again. My son and I have researched staying off site to save some $$. However, you then need to worry about transportation, food, tickets, etc. When all was said and done we agreed that staying on site is a huge part of a magical Disney vacation, no matter if its an All Star or a Deluxe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As a general rule we will always stay on site unless we can not get a room for a last minute trip. I do not mind paying a bit more for the better quality and the associated perks with staying on property. However, this April we will be staying at a cabin off site simply because the cost is so much less. Our normal AP rate at PORS hovers around the $100-$125 per night range but we will be getting this cabin at a friends campground for only $250 for the week. At that rate and access to a full kitchen has given us the chance to stay for a full 7 days for roughly the same price as 3 days on property. That will make our April trip the longest WDW trip I have ever taken. I simply could not pass this up.

PeoplemoverTTA

I've been in Orlando for business reasons and stayed off-property, and it's not something I enjoy at all. Last week, I used Priceline and stayed at this horrible Ramada on 192 for $25 a night. Even that was too much. The safety certificates in the elevators expired on 8/1/07, the 3rd floor smelled like a bodily fluid, and my shower had caked in mud and looked like it had never been cleaned.

The best part? All hotels are required to post their maximum nightly rate on the back of the doors (this is to protect from gauging for certain events). The maximum they charge at this hotel? $159!! I was sick to my stomach thinking that someone paid that much for such a dump.

I was chatting with a girl in the elevator about how scuzzy the place was, and I mentioned to her how during slower periods (like January) you can sometimes stay at a value resort on property for as low as $59 (which I've done 3 different times). I agree with the OP, with the cost of gas and loss of time going back and forth (and oftentimes getting lost), in addition to the guaranteed knowledge that there is a Disney standard of quality when staying on property, there is simply no way I would recommend staying off property to anyone.

daliseurat

I've done both. I have had a nice experience off property hotel-wise. For less that the price of a value resort we has a two bedroom suite and free breakfast. HOWEVER...we did have a rental car and had to pay for parking at WDW, and did not get to enjoy any MAGIC HOURS. In the end, it cost us a bit more once transportation and parking was added in and was far less convenient.

On another trip we had a free hotel because of business. I took taxis. I found that taxi's CHEAT you. They were charging about 20 bucks, and made you pay their GATE FEE each time. I found out that taxi's pay a gate fee ONCE a day to be allowed to come and go. But the taxi's were charging EVERY time they went through, and were paying the attendant. SO...either they were in on a scam, or were massively stupid. I challenged them both and refused to pay. I then reported them to WDW. I switched to car service, which was better, but still aggravating.

So, I always stay on property. I like the convenience, perks and DISNEY feeling.

But, if you have a car ANYWAY, don't care about early entry, then off property might save you money.

goofntink

On-site is the only way to go IMHO.We stay at the resorts everytime.We have two vacations a year at the resorts,one is for our anniversary which we choose a different resort each year, this one being a cabin at WR.The second is for when her family comes down for summer vacation for which we always go to Pop. Her family use to have the mindset of staying off-site,for as her brother always said "The hotels are cheaper,and we just can't understand why you always stay on property,cause after all it's JUST a hotel room."But ohh boy did that change,because after we got them rooms at Pop 3 years ago for vacation, they have never even thought about staying anywhere else,they LOVE IT! After the last day there they said they realized why we went.Not only was it Disney at the parks ,but it was Disney at the resort too. They felt like the resort really went out of their way to give you the whole experience of what Disney was about. Plus they said that it was the 1st vacation they were actually not ready to go home, and couldn't wait to come back.

Nemo14

We've done both and love both but now that the weekend rates are higher, we will probably never stay on site again. Even factoring in parking and car rental, we save money renting a condo 5 minutes away.

Edeyore

Staying on-site is an excellent option. Staying off-site is not always hell. The perks of being on-site are great, and if you have the money to stay at some place like the Polynesian it is incredible. You are so close to everything and can get anywhere quickly, it is great. On the other hand I have also stayed at the All Star Sports hotel and really was not impressed. The door just about hit the bed each time you came into the room. I have also stayed at the Best Western in Buena Vista. We had a room on the 16th floor. You could see the Magic Kingdom, Epcot & Disney Studios all from our balcony. It was actually pretty nice and their pool was a lot less crowded. Many times your trip is what you make it.

davinakb

One of the few dissenters (who has stayed on property) that prefers off property. If transportation was an issue, if we were flying into Orlando and we never planned on leaving WDW then yes, we'd totally do a deal at a value resort or AP discount somewhere and stay on property. No brainer and always recommend that to someone not driving, needing the EMH, wanting the DDP. That said we usually drive to Orlando so, no rental car. Have AP, so no parking fees. After using the Disney transportation for our first few visits, we started to drive from park to park, or DTD or a resort for dinner, or to outlets for shopping; found driving ourselves was much faster/easier. YMMV.

Last week, I used Priceline and stayed at this horrible Ramada on 192 for $25 a night. Even that was too much.
IMO Priceline is no longer a good option in WDW, as they include 192 places in the WDW zone, have a low-end Radisson listed as a 3-star; so you are better off getting a deal at a Value Resort on property. A one-night stay or resort is the only thing I'd bid now.

For the past few years, we have done timeshares-vacation club resorts (good deal thru friend, no sales pitch) and most recently private villa rentals, pleased with the bargain. We usually have a group of 4-7 adults and all the extra space is ideal. I am spoiled now, like my own bed and more than 1 bathroom, more than 1 TV, laundry, kitchen, free internet. Past few years, we had a 2-3 bedroom/2 bath place for $65-100/night. During Christmas/New Years we had a private 4-BR house with heated pool for less than $180/night. Already looking for a place in October. We just use the savings on the room/resort for more Disney: more trips, longer stays, DDE card and lots of nice meals, etc. FWIW.

Jesùs_Carioca

It's a different experience completely staying on site if compared to normal surrounding hotels. But I've also seen some Time Share's that are just simply amazing too (as WASP as that may sound) that I could prefer over resorts at times.

But I am nobody to really debate it all. I live much too close to have the luck of getting the "full Disney Experience" in and stay for days on end.

girlface

Out of disney is better

Another day, another poll.

Now, lets look at the on site vs off site debate. I personally feel, staying on site with all the perks it offers is much better than staying off site at any price. I would rather pay the 80 bucks a night at a Pop Century, ( God forbid, Deluxe ONLY for me! ), than the 50 dollar special found on the net at what may be some crappy toilet called a hotel room in words only.

And if you seriously look at it, the measly 10-20 bucks you save staying at a cheaper hotel gets consumed with car rental, gas and other things your really not saving anything at all. Plus, some place with a 150 dollar special will not go that extra mile for you like Disney.

My thoughts. On site or nothing.

Discuss.

Nahhh,I stayed in site at the carribean beach and it was good but i love on the way to disney seeing all the sites. Also we stayed at the double tree for 3 weeks and it was cheaper then staying in disney for 2!!!!
Plus the rooms were nicer.

So i guess it depends. If you live in FL and arent a torist then i guess its easier staying in the resort but i personally love the journey there. :rolleyes::D

brucie

I totally agree with this one except stay at POP......

We have stayed at Pop twice and we will never do Disney Off site again, it's just as cheap to stay in Disney and Not Drive and If you go in Sept and get the Free Dining you get to Eat for Free too!! We go with 2 couples in a room and split the cost so it's even cheaper, it's not as good of a deal if you have kids but we Love it! If you don't mind sharing a room with another couple you can go for a week in Sept for $563.00pp and that includes your accomodations your park tickets and all of your food (free dining if avail) Best Deal Ever!!

dizzney

We'll never stay off site again (haven't since '90) since we feel that the additional cost is mitigated by the fun of being in Disney,

Thats why we bought DVC and have added on three times, Broadwalk is our home and we love it as do the kids,

Can't wait til next month, we arrive on the 13th for 8 nights there,

We are attending Pirates and Princesses for our first Valentines Day in Disney !:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom