Staying Off-Property Before Going In

MKCustodial

I know someone around here does it, I think it's Javier and Christie.

On my next trip, I wanna take Julia to all the places since she's never been to anything, and I figure renting a car for the whole trip just to use it some 5 or 6 times is plain silly. So I was thinking we'd first stay off-property, around International Drive. I've stayed at the Gateway Inn, it's basically across the street from Universal and 3 blocks away from Wet n' Wild, nice litle place. We'd rent a car and go there from the airport, and do everything non-Disney in the first few days: Universal, IoA, Busch, Sea World, maybe Medieval Times... Then we'd check-out, drive to whatever Disney resort has the rental booth, drop off the car and enjoy the rest of the trip without leaving property. When the time comes to go home, we'd take a taxi to the airport or something like that. Do you guys think this'd work? I'd save more money than renting a car and leaving it parked for most of the trip, right?

WDWspider

Well, I have never rented, but I will say, we stay off property for a day or two every trip for a few reasons.

1) It's often cheaper than Disney Resorts

2) I'm greedy and want to try everything there is at Orlando. So I get to sample an outside hotel still knowing that I have a great Disney hotel coming.

3) A continuation of #2, I like to save the Disney total experience until the moment I am ready to do all the Disney parks... it sorta finalizes the arrival to all that is Disney and keeps Orlando seperate.

Upvote 0

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm kinda with you there. The whole thing is pretty expensive for us, so I gotta save where I can. And I'd never go to Orlando without dropping by Universal. If I ever get my dream of traveling regularly, then I think I'll be able to skip stuff like non-Disney dinner shows and Busch and Sea World till they add new stuff. But Universal is as much a necessity as Disney, and I think maybe this plan can work.

Obviously, when you think about it, your #3 is cool too. "Remember that other park we went? See how everything is better here? We just left all the troubles of the real world behind!" :lol:

Upvote 0

Jodigrl328

This is definelty NOT the cheapest way to go, but...

Staying at a Universal Resort for a few days will allow you front of the line access to every ride and you would be close to all of the attractions that you mentioned.

I plan to do this when I go in December. Yes the hotels are pretty expensive, but the Hard Rock, Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific Hotels are all VERY nice.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

:)

A nice bonus is that staying off property for a couple nights can sometimes expose you to some pretty cool little restaurants and shops, etc. you would have never otherwise seen!

Also...contrary to what many believe, there really ARE some great Hotels to experience off-site. I stayed in a couple great rooms in Celebration-area Hotels before starting some Disney stays. The Double Tree Club and The Holiday Inn were both GREAT places!

I'm always open to new experiences because I travel a lot for work, so I really enjoy seeing as much as I can wherever I go. A couple nights off-site lets me do that!

In addition, you are correct...SOMETIMES these rooms will save a few dollars for you too.

As far as the car rental goes, I think most of the weekly prices will probably be cheaper (per car/per day) overall than renting for a few days, but the cab ride back to the airport will take away anything you save on the rental. Mears bus is the cheapest way to get back to the airport if you can take it!

I usually just reserve the cheapest sub-compact car they have and keep it for the week if I'm renting. Most of the time, they will upgrade it to a nicer car anyway, and you'll have it whenever you need it -- especially for the ride back to the airport!

Upvote 0

kdblue165

Rent-a-car Return

My wife & I were at the World last fall. Had to fly into Tampa, so rented one-way for one day (Alamo!). Dropped the car right at the WDW Car Care center & hopped a bus straight into the magic!

Couldn't be easier!!!

Going back next week with the kids!!! Can't wait:sohappy: !!!!!

Upvote 0

Becky

Stay on 192 near Celebration.

Rent from National or Avis as they are on the Airport grounds. I pay about $125 for a compact off season. Of course then there is the $2.05 a day tire disposal etc and gas and you are up to about $160 if you are 25 or older.

Take the South exit out of the Airport and hit the Greenway and you end up going through the edge of Celebration and onto 192.

Larson and Howard Johnson Maingate East are at the light. About $30 for HJ. Check them out on the web. Look for Manager's Special.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom