Starting your WDW vacation on one of the most heavily-crowded days of the year: where would you go and what would you do?

Weather_Lady

This February will be my family's first experience with heavy crowds at WDW.* We arrive Monday, 2/17 (President's Day) for a 6-night stay at AKL (DVC studio on rented points), with 6-day parkhopper plus tickets, and 7 usable days (early arrival on Monday, late flight on Sunday).

The whole week will be crowded, but our arrival day is expected to be the worst, with the parks at or near 10/10 for crowd levels. We touch down at MCO around 9am and will take DME to the hotel, so we should be ready to "start" the day at or before 11am. What would you do for the rest of that day? Would you even bother trying to visit any of the WDW parks? If so, is there one particular park that tends to absorb crowds better than the others (in other words, one where wait times are less dramatically affected)? Would Blizzard Beach/Winter Summerland be good options instead, especially if we can get there around opening time? (We'll be coming from the frozen tundra of upstate NY and will be comfortable swimming in any temperature, so weather is not a factor.) Or to save ourselves some stress, should we just make our arrival day a "hangout-at-the-resort day"?
(*Please-don't-judge-me-footnote: In the past, we've been able to schedule trips for less-crowded times of year, but that is no longer possible. I spent my growing-up years visiting at Easter break with my teacher parents so I have a bit of an idea what heavy crowds look like; unfortunately, DH and the kids have no idea what they're getting into, and my pleas to skip WDW for a few years until we could go at an off-time again fell on deaf ears. Thanks to careful planning in the past, these people do not know what it's like to wait more than 20 minutes for anything at WDW, or to not be able to get Fastpasses at 60 days for whatever top attraction they desire. I'm doing my very best to manage their expectations, but I think they're going to be in for a rude awakening. If I can plan our arrival day in a manner that softens the blow a little, I'd like to.)

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I’ve been around/on Valentine’s Day the last few years, and had no issues.

I would do the unwind thing, nice lunch, see the animals - and then get 3 good FP’s for an evening park trip so everyone doesn’t get too antsy. The right 3 FP’s will set expectations properly, and that first (busiest) night will be a breeze. The rest of the week will feel slow by comparison.

Obviously, avoid any park with EMH that day.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We always hit up MK first on our arrival day. Doesnt matter what time we arrive, what day we arrive or how crowded it may be. We want/ need/ yes its imperative that we start off our trip getting a good dose of WDW and MK gives us that. It doesnt matter how little we get to do or see, its just great to see the castle, get the feel and atmosphere going, walk the different lands, listen to the train whistle, get a dole whip, and that will set the mood for the rest of our trip. We plan other days to see MK and do it right afterwards so the first day we dont care how little we actually do.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s not one of the most crowded days of the year...

I fact, it’s a “clear out” day where people leave after long weekend trips.

One thing I did notice in February: check when Mardi Gras is...
It absolutely sucks that week because La. shuts down their schools and people have killed wdw in the process

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
That’s not one of the most crowded days of the year...

I fact, it’s a “clear out” day where people leave after long weekend trips.

One thing I did notice in February: check when Mardi Gras is...
It absolutely sucks that week because La. shuts down their schools and people have killed wdw in the process

Mardi Gras 2020 is Tuesday, 2/25 -- the week after President's Day week, so hopefully we'll dodge that bullet.

While I'm sure your observation about Monday being a "clear out day" holds true for almost every other week of the year, President's Day week is different. Last year, touringplans observed crowds at 10 out of 10 for 3 of the 4 parks on President's Day, and crowds of 7-9 for the remainder of the week. The crowd calendars at Undercover Tourist, yourfirstvisit, MouseSavers, etc. likewise rank President's Day week among the worst weeks of the year to visit, right after Christmas/New Year's and Easter. That's because several states in the Northeastern U.S. -- our home state of New York included -- give kids the entire President's Day week off of school, and as many of us as can afford it (and many that can't!) head to Orlando in droves that week, to get a break from the cold and snow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nottamus

You're at AKL, so take the 5 minute bus ride to AK. Maybe snag a FP, or worse case, get a snacky breakfast thing...walk, take in the sights.

THEN, when room is ready...head back to AKL to pack in, take a break...check out the animals...

then head out to any park for the evening, or finish out FP's.

Thats what we do. Going back the the lodge in the middle of the day is a nice re-energizing break.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

We always go at Thanksgiving (well except this year December 12-20), but it is never as bad as the crowd calanders make it out to be. Just do what you want it will be fine, it's not like it will be New Years eve gridlock so you will be fine.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

I think if you set expectations low you should be fine. I agree that Animal Kingdom might be the best idea since it’s so close, but really I might just do wherever you can get the best FP. Get your 3 FP, tell the fam that that’s all you can do that day. Then if you’re able to do other stuff it’s a pleasant surprise.
We were there at Christmas last year and this strategy worked pretty well for us.
Have a great time!

Upvote 0

MaximumEd

We are going March 21-28, right in the heart of spring break. We've also been several other years during the same time, and TP has almost all days 9/10 or 10/10. That being said, with a good plan in place we do everything we want to do. We tend to arrive about the same time you are, and always head to MK for the afternoon and evening with FP's at the ready. Utilize rope drop, use the TP app, and don't eat when everyone else is. You'll be fine.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom