Starting to worry!

I'm booked near the end of September but I'm really starting to worry about hurricanes! I booked September because both my husband and I really want to attend MNSSHP and I was able to get 40% off at that time :sohappy:

But tonight we started talking about making some ADRs and it hit me that we are actually going in a little over 6 months. Then I started thinking about what happens if we have to cancel because of a HURRICANE :eek:

Has anyone been at WDW during a hurricane? How was it handled? Did they reimburse you for unused days on your ticket or hotel room?

Diane Hughess

I can't remember the year, but before we left for Disney, weather stations were saying a hurricane would hit while we were there. The day before we left, they had it turning around and heading north instead. So we went, had rainstorms every day, but all was good. The day before we were leaving, I got off a ride at MK and my husband said there was an announcement about a storm approaching, and I thought he was kidding--MK wouldn't make an announcement! So we got back to AKL and there were large screen TVs all over the lobby showing this hurricane heading right for us. We went to our room and I turned on the news to hear about it. They made an announcement that MCO would be closing at noon the next day, and our flight was not until 7 pm! So I got on the phone to US Air, and they switched our return trip to 7 am. We got like an hour's sleep, had to fill the rental car with gas and got to the airport, and already it was packed. US Air was great! They didn't charge us any change fees, and although we had one stop, they put us in first class for no charge! The only problem was that we had Princess Storybook ressies for that day, and as we were in the air from 7-8 am, I couldn't call until 9 to cancel, and they told me since I was supposed to be getting seated as I was on the phone, I was a 'no show', so they would be charging my credit card! When I got home I made a few calls, and after 2 mos. of arguing they finally credited our acct. Two sets of friends were supposed to leave the same day as us, but their flights were cancelled, so they both had to stay an extra 2 days b/c there were no flights. The one friend was at the Floridian, and at $400/night, that was a very expensive couple of unexpected days! They both said the staff at their hotels were awesome. They entertained the kids by doing treasure hunts and such. But they were also able to enjoy the parks for no charge during their extended days.

Upvote 0

CrazyForDisney

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the encouragement :)

I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I'll pay attention to the weather before we leave and if a hurricane is coming in at that time I'll worry about it then. Fortunately we aren't flying so I don't have to deal with that mess.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Been going regularly at that time of year, and never had a problem. Not that we expect NOT to. You have to roll with Mother Nature and go with the odds that it probably will not happen.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom