Starcruiser: What do you think it'll be used for in 5 years?

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
I hadn't even thought about the DVC resort.

From the responses so far I like:
- bus driver break room (kind of makes sense)
- re-work it into a DVC resort (which also makes sense - they could just build a bridge over to DHS and that would work really well).. OR... hear me out.. They could load the DVC guests into the back of a box truck and then just dump them into one of the lands.

To the person who really did want to take a cruise in space (and there's nothing wrong with that), ask yourself this:
- Would I want to take a cruise (normal) into, say, the Persian Gulf after 9/11?

The reason I say that is that it doesn't make any sense. If they had the Star Cruiser be sort of like the space restaurant that they just opened at Epcot (not tied to Star Wars) then that really starts making a lot of sense but I think the tininess of the hotel starts to play a factor.

I still argue that what most people are expecting for this hotel is to be somewhere in the fight (which isn't on a cruise ship) and on one side or the other. That's a whole different atmosphere than a cruise ship and more in line to Star Wars.

I just think that "Space Cruise Ship" and "Star Wars", while initially sounding good, really is a terrible / doesn't make sense sort of match.

Everything else is about implementation and that's where the tininess of the hotel comes into play as well as the box truck, character acters, etc.

I don't think Disney is really looking to put on a stage show, I think they just want to have a fancy vending machine where guest "just pay" and get some product with minimal effort on their side.

pilka214

I personally feel conceptually the starcruiser is an incredible and ground breaking idea. BUT in reality I can't see it ever being successful in it's current itineration. I have very little hope people are going to feel fully immersed staring at screens all day... or spending an hour learning to play space poker. I crave a fully conceived, immersive and personalized experience in any of Disney's properties especially star wars (I visited the void multiple times for it's quality of immersion)... but I think this will inevitably come up short due to technological constraints and its super high price point.

mightynine

I think it'll last longer than five years, but in this scenario, why not just dump the hotel rooms and keep everything else and just make it a bookable "day-trip" from Batuu available to all? You'd add a character dining experience to Hollywood Studios on an "off-world" pleasure ship so you could still use the transport, and even have some more "in-universe" activities with the lightsaber training that you could add-on for purchase.

mergatroid

I hadn't even thought about the DVC resort.

From the responses so far I like:
- bus driver break room (kind of makes sense)
- re-work it into a DVC resort (which also makes sense - they could just build a bridge over to DHS and that would work really well).. OR... hear me out.. They could load the DVC guests into the back of a box truck and then just dump them into one of the lands.

To the person who really did want to take a cruise in space (and there's nothing wrong with that), ask yourself this:
- Would I want to take a cruise (normal) into, say, the Persian Gulf after 9/11?

The reason I say that is that it doesn't make any sense. If they had the Star Cruiser be sort of like the space restaurant that they just opened at Epcot (not tied to Star Wars) then that really starts making a lot of sense but I think the tininess of the hotel starts to play a factor.

I still argue that what most people are expecting for this hotel is to be somewhere in the fight (which isn't on a cruise ship) and on one side or the other. That's a whole different atmosphere than a cruise ship and more in line to Star Wars.

I just think that "Space Cruise Ship" and "Star Wars", while initially sounding good, really is a terrible / doesn't make sense sort of match.

Everything else is about implementation and that's where the tininess of the hotel comes into play as well as the box truck, character acters, etc.

I don't think Disney is really looking to put on a stage show, I think they just want to have a fancy vending machine where guest "just pay" and get some product with minimal effort on their side.
What has 9/11 to do with it?

montyz81

1643990951169.png

It will end up like this building ended up.
Or perhaps this building
1643991260301.png

Last edited:

sedati

(nothing wrong with it except your main point was such people do not exist)

Would I want to cruise through a burning pirate town?
Go on a cruise through a disease and danger filled jungle with an incompetent skipper?
Continue on a house-tour after seeing a hanged man still up in the rafters?
Be locked in a room filled with a family of huge Bears?
Sit beneath a hundred birds and expect to have a clean shirt when I leave?
Ride in a car with a child at the wheel?
Go to hell with Mr. Toad?
Get thrownl into a briar patch?
Ride a mine train during an earthquake?
Ride on a Banshee?
Travel back in time to a moment before the asteroid wipes out the dinosaurs and decimates the Earth?
Sit in a tree full of bugs?
Meet a Yeti up close?
Ride in a condemned elevator?
Try to get anywhere in Hollywood in a limo with only three minutes to spare?
Drink around the world at theme park prices?
Sit through Food Rocks?

If not, theme parks may not be for you.

montyz81

Go on a cruise through a disease and danger filled jungle with an incompetent skipper?
Ride on a Banshee?
Travel back in time to a moment before the asteroid wipes out the dinosaurs and decimates the Earth?
Meet a Yeti up close?
Sit through Food Rocks?

You forgot to mention, "Get blasted into space on a rocket that typically takes years of flight training to do"

mergatroid

Ride on a Banshee?
Meet a Yeti up close?
Sit through Food Rocks?

People deny they have an 'agenda' or want this to fail. Yet we now get a thread started about a yet unopened hotel saying "I know it's not opened yet" followed by as many reasons as they can think of as to why it WILL fail, despite it already having a thread dedicated to it. Chances are this person has no desire to see this succeed and really doesn't want a reasoned 'debate' as by asking "What happens when it fails" they've played their hand and shown they've decided already. Why I'm contributing to this thread knowing this probably doesn't make me look anything less than stupid either sadly :D

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
What has 9/11 to do with it?

After 9/11 the USA, and other countries, were at war with Iraq and Afghanistan. We had plenty of military ships in the Persian Gulf, which Iraq borders.

The point being: do you want to go on a Cruise through the middle of a war zone. I think most would answer, "No.". The Star Cruiser, in order to have something Star Wars like in it, sort of has to go on a cruise in the middle of a war zone. They even said something in the intro to it about being boarded by Rebels or the Empire or something.

That doesn't make any sense and I think where the whole idea is misguided.

People actually just want to go to the war zone and experience things they've seen in the movies. They aren't really looking for a Star Wars cruise. (Heck, even saying that should spell it out: Star WARS Cruise <- it makes no sense).

mergatroid

After 9/11 the USA, and other countries, were at war with Iraq and Afghanistan. We had plenty of military ships in the Persian Gulf, which Iraq borders.

The point being: do you want to go on a Cruise through the middle of a war zone. I think most would answer, "No.". The Star Cruiser, in order to have something Star Wars like in it, sort of has to go on a cruise in the middle of a war zone. They even said something in the intro to it about being boarded by Rebels or the Empire or something.

That doesn't make any sense and I think where the whole idea is misguided.

People actually just want to go to the war zone and experience things they've seen in the movies. They aren't really looking for a Star Wars cruise. (Heck, even saying that should spell it out: Star WARS Cruise <- it makes no sense).
You do realise that Star Wars is all about a war? Did people come out of the Star Wars movies saying "I wish they'd left the war bits out as they ruined the movie"?

They have space craft that can travel faster than light speed, therefore the area of space the Empire can travel is so enormous that any planet in a massive area could become involved in a battle. The idea that folk across the universe wouldn't go on a space cruise in any area the Empire could fly to makes little sense? How many planets that the Empire could reach do you think there are, a lot I would say?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Ride on a Banshee?
Meet a Yeti up close?
Sit through Food Rocks?

Not to mention that currently one of the most popular rides in WDW puts you in the middle of the same war that the Starcruiser will.

sedati

Actually, I'll take the bait. I've just remembered an old post of mine that would fit this facility perfectly if it does in fact get shuttered as so many of you dearly wish:

After a recent trip I feel I've solidified what I want and don't want/need in WDW area accommodations. As anyone who at best spends about seven hours in their rooms, here's my proposal for a hotel for the commando tourist:

Theme: there is none. Function determines form. This thing will be minimalist, so hide it in the woods so even those on World Drive can't see its stark blandness.

Instead of a scenic lake, this property would encircle a bus loop, granting every room quick access to transportation. There would be no parking lot- instead, an outer ring of parking will encircle the property so each room has a space only steps away. Preferably a central location can be found so that the resort can offer the shortest travel times to each gate.

Rooms: No television. No bathtub. No decor. Possibly no drawers either as I and most of my traveling companions tend to just fish out of our luggage. These no-frills rooms will be small even by Disney standards (though the walls will be extra thick to ensure no precious sleep time is interrupted by outside noise.) The loss of room space will be made up by offering much more bathroom facilities: MULTIPLE shower stalls, and double the double sinks so that no one has to get up early or stay up late just to wash. Outlets/USB charging would be ridiculously abundant- no one can share an outlet as you're probably not in the room enough to get a full charge anyway. I don't honestly care if there's even a window, but if there must, then it will have the darkest blackout curtains available. The flooring in the room will be the best science can come up with to sooth feet that are no doubt calloused and blister-ridden from speed walking for fourteen hours straight.

Food: No restaurant, not even a food court. Strictly grab and go or room service.

This is of course for those traveling as a family or small group. I've never gone alone, but if I did, then I'll revise this whole concept and say simply put a Capsule Hotel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel) right in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot and I'll be just fine.

Anyone else ever have thoughts along these lines? Before each trip there's always talk of the amenities and other on-site niceties, but without fail, we never use them. If I'm going to spend money, I want it focused on what I actually need and want which is pretty much time in the parks and as much sleep and time off my feet as I can possibly manage.

Disstevefan1

Ya know, they could convert it into a “be our guest but in Star Wars” type of table service, only accessible by the shuttle craft in GE, therefore only accessible to folks inside the park. The cabin space could be convert into dining areas and there could be different dining rooms. Maybe leave the bridge for theming, maybe a kid could be selected at random from the diners to go into light speed, maybe the lightsaber training could remain as an up charge.

This will allow everyone to experience the Starcruiser AND Disney would be making MONEY!

mf1972

Ya know, they could convert it into a “be our guest but in Star Wars” type of table service, only accessible by the shuttle craft in GE, therefore only accessible to folks inside the park. The cabin space could be convert into dining areas and there could be different dining rooms. Maybe leave the bridge for theming, maybe a kid could be selected at random from the diners to go into light speed, maybe the lightsaber training could remain as an up charge.

This will allow everyone to experience the Starcruiser AND Disney would be making MONEY!
EE10A936-C281-4979-A60E-0BC4900C241C.gif

throw in a animatronic band & i can see that work

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom