Starbucks Craziness

OneofThree

It's mediocre coffee but certainly is better than any of the other offerings that are in the parks.

The quality of Starbucks' beans is okay, as is their brewed coffee. I drink espresso exclusively, and can tell you that in the absence of all that sugar and dairy, Starbucks' espresso is garbage (which also forms the base for latte's and cappuccino's). Joffrey's is noticeably better, IMO. SBUX has become the McDonald's of the coffee universe, for real.

Weather_Lady

I confess that I don't "get" it, either. Not only do I not understand paying to go to WDW and spending valuable time standing in a line to buy coffee, but I don't get paying for coffee when I can get it for "free" in my own hotel room (with my favorite-flavor dry creamer brought from home). ;) I tend to think that most Starbucks customers wouldn't know the difference in a blind taste test, and that they see buying coffee from Starbucks as a status symbol. In fact, if you go to any of our local Starbucks, you'll see a line of women all identically draped in what they believe to be the vestments of wealth and success in this corner of the country: in short, irrespective of their age or actual socioeconomic status, they're all wearing the same North Face jackets and Ugg boots (which are, inexplicably, still a thing here) and carrying designer handbags. At a law firm where I used to work years ago, a couple of the secretaries would secretly pour the breakroom coffee into paper cups from Starbucks, which they'd reuse as many times as they could and walk around carrying with them everywhere, to make it look like they were high rollers who sprung for fancy coffee every day.

On the other hand, if that's how other people choose to spend their vacation time or their money, more power to them... and at WDW, each person in line at Starbucks is one less person in line at the attraction I'm headed to next, so I dasn't judge them. :)

Last edited:

BWDVCkidsince96

Original Poster
Starbucks is Starbucks, in or out of WDW. I just don't go in.

I do get that people have their anti starbucks biases, and more power to you, I would agree with the sentiment in disney world, but for just as background, in the real world (outside of the magic of disney world), starbucks has a phenomenal mobile ordering app. Basically if you stand in a line at starbucks you are a fool because you can order on your phone on your way in and just pick up your drink at the counter instantly. So my main complaint/amazement about the disney starbucks is that they do not offer this mobile ordering and instead have the longest lines imaginable. i mean i used to work in nyc and even those starbucks at rush hour before mobile ordering didn't hold a candle to the disney starbucks wait times. disney guests seem so into skipping lines via fast passes yet ironically will wait forever for a starbucks beverage that they will be told they have to throw out before getting on line for rides (THAT was upsetting).

i do like the logic that its fewer people on line for rides though....

Club Cooloholic

I confess that I don't "get" it, either. Not only do I not understand paying to go to WDW and spending valuable time standing in a line to buy coffee, but I don't get paying for coffee when I can get it for "free" in my own hotel room (with my favorite-flavor dry creamer brought from home). ;) I tend to think that most Starbucks customers wouldn't know the difference in a blind taste test, and that they see buying coffee from Starbucks as a status symbol. In fact, if you go to any of our local Starbucks, you'll see a line of women all identically draped in what they believe to be the vestments of wealth and success in this corner of the country: in short, irrespective of their age or actual socioeconomic status, they're all wearing the same North Face jackets and Ugg boots (which are, inexplicably, still a thing here) and carrying designer handbags. At a law firm where I used to work years ago, a couple of the secretaries would secretly pour the breakroom coffee into paper cups from Starbucks, which they'd reuse as many times as they could and walk around carrying with them everywhere, to make it look like they were high rollers who sprung for fancy coffee every day.

On the other hand, if that's how other people choose to spend their vacation time or their money, more power to them... and at WDW, each person in line at Starbucks is one less person in line at the attraction I'm headed to next, so I dasn't judge them. :)
I never considered myself a coffee snob, but over the years I have gotten more picky. You forgot to mention the yoga pants and athletic gear moms who always have a cup of starbucks in hand(how are they running and drinking hot beverages all day, I have no idea). I saw how over the years starbucks dominated over the other coffee chains and indies, which is sad. That said, their coffee has a distinct taste and some people never get into and just feel it is "burned" but I like the taste. I make fresh ground at home and they have some of the best mass produced beans compared to many other companies. At shops I never order anything but coffee and it frustrates me they dont have a quicker line for us regular joes...pardon the pun. Also, they never have decaf brewed at night, what is up with that?

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Man.....I hate Starbucks. Why couldn't Disney strike a deal with Dunkin? Maybe Timmy's for the Canada Pavilion? But man......I hate Starbucks........refuse to walk into one.

JohnD

Man.....I hate Starbucks. Why couldn't Disney strike a deal with Dunkin? Maybe Timmy's for the Canada Pavilion? But man......I hate Starbucks........refuse to walk into one.

There’s something to be said for brewing your own with the coffee pods in the room. All I need is a “free” jolt brewed in my room and I’m good to go.

Sans Souci

I like cold brew coffee. I'd prefer to get it Joffery's, but their cold brew is pre-sweetened/flavored and I don't like that. SBUX has nothing in it, so I go that route. The only time I go to Starbucks is when I am WDW.

Of all of the retail jobs I ever held, Starbucks customers were the meanest. It was the only job I had where a customer swore at me and the store manger did nothing. That's a big reason why I don't patronize them anymore. (That and they are basic.)

Maelstrom Troll

The Joffrey's near Tot is a good one! My daughter rides ToT at least 5-8 times so I enjoy a nice beverage/people watch while she and my wife ride.

The Joffrey's near Canada is another story. We were at Epcot for Illuminations in late Nov and it was COLD. The Joffrey's line was really busy and the cast were getting overwhelmed. They were really rude and weren't very shy about the language they were slinging either.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ll wait in the Starbucks lines for a Trenta iced tea at Disney. The Disney restaurants / counters all serve iced tea flavored syrup now from coke. For coffee I’ll get it at Joffrey’s (I’ll get tea there too, I wish all the Joffrey’s had a bigger iced tea selection like tea traders and the Joffrey’s in Asia at dak). The espresso at Joffrey’s is quite good and if I’m in the mood a shot of baileys is an option too!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I drink iced coffee year round. I could never get through a cup of hot coffee in Orlando in August.

Never waited long at Starbucks though. It's usually five minutes or less. Their breakfast sandwiches are pretty tasty and reasonably priced too.

StarWarsGirl

Currently in WDW. I drink Starbucks, mostly because I like Chai Lattes and they are the easiest ones to find that have coconut milk instead of regular or soy milk. I went twice while I was here, both times at AK. It was 11 am the one time and 12 pm the other time. I waited about 10 minutes both times for my drink and food. I'm sure it's worse earlier. Mobile order certainly would help; we've noticed the lines are definitely shorter at restaurants now that there's mobile order, in spite of the fact that it's been crowded.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but my friend who is liked Starbucks at DL better than actual Starbucks. She said they didn't burn the coffee beans there.

BWDVCkidsince96

Original Poster
Currently in WDW. I drink Starbucks, mostly because I like Chai Lattes and they are the easiest ones to find that have coconut milk instead of regular or soy milk. I went twice while I was here, both times at AK. It was 11 am the one time and 12 pm the other time. I waited about 10 minutes both times for my drink and food. I'm sure it's worse earlier. Mobile order certainly would help; we've noticed the lines are definitely shorter at restaurants now that there's mobile order, in spite of the fact that it's been crowded.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but my friend who is liked Starbucks at DL better than actual Starbucks. She said they didn't burn the coffee beans there.

I'm all about the chai lattes myself :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom