Star Wars Weekends 2014

journ116

Good afternoon fellow Disney travelers! Today, I would like to pick the brains of forum members who have attended Star Wars Weekends...I am in the beginning stages of planning a weekend trip in May 2014 specifically for this event, which will be my first encounter with the hoopla! And the kicker: I am surprising my 17 y.o. younger sister with said weekend trip (this will be her Christmas, 18th birthday, & graduation present)! Now, she is a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am and will probably know more about the characters & set-ups than me...I am just an appreciater of Lucas' film work.

Onto the questions:
1. When did you attend?
2. What were the crowds like?
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? I am a complete novice when it comes to this event.
4. Any "must do's?"
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))?

As of right now, I will be booking a studio at AKV, because it's my DVC home resort...hoping I can switch to BCV or BWV at my 7 month booking window.

Many thanks in advance to ANY insights, suggestions, and/or answers to my questions above!

Dwarful

Does anyone know if the parade is always around 1130 - noon? I will hit my FP+ time window April 1st. I am thinking of doing the FP's for after lunch and after dinner. We aren't after autographs, but do enjoy the photos/autographs, but the kicker for my husband is the parade. Thanks

Upvote 0

LostPrincessKarleigh

So we are going to be there the first Friday of SWW. My original plan was to do DHS in the am, afternoon break, and MK that evening. But now I don't want to miss the fireworks! Do you think they will reach capacity for the park around early afternoon? How would anyone suggest going about this? We really don't want to spend the whole day at DHS.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So we are going to be there the first Friday of SWW. My original plan was to do DHS in the am, afternoon break, and MK that evening. But now I don't want to miss the fireworks! Do you think they will reach capacity for the park around early afternoon? How would anyone suggest going about this? We really don't want to spend the whole day at DHS.
This is a blog post I wrote a couple of years ago. It should give you some insight.

http://www.kingdomkonsultantblog.com/2012/05/star-wars-weekends-411.html

To my knowledge, DHS has never hit capacity during SWW. Anything is possible, but if you are staying on property, you can get in all the way up to a phase 4 closure and I do not see it going to phase 4.

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
I hadn't even thought of "Phased Closings" during SWW!

My plans are as follows for the first SWW:
Arrival Day, Fri., 5/16
-spend late morning thru late afternoon at SWW (our flight doesn't arrive until 9 a.m.).
-spend what's left of our day at EP

Sat., 5/17
-literally devote the whole day to DHS and fit in as many SWW activities as our stamina allows
-depending on the celebrities that weekend, we might camp out in line in the wee hours of the morning…

Sun., 5/18
-DTD in the AM
-MK in the PM

Plans will probably change, depending on how much my littlest sister is digging the whole Star Wars Weekend concept on crowds...

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
Upvote 0

Mike Nolan

If you're not going after the celebrities, then my advice would be to pick your battles. The first year we waited about an hour for Darth (it was over 90 that day and they switched him out every fifteen minutes) and the year later we did about the same for Chewie. Some of the best stuff was interacting with walk around characters (storm troopers). The first year we went was the reopening if Star Tours. I never seen a group of people applaud a ride before.

My advice: make lunch reservations. The first year it was tough to find a seat in the counter service places. The next year we made reservations at Mama Melrose and were much happier. We're eating again there this year

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

This is a blog post I wrote a couple of years ago. It should give you some insight.

http://www.kingdomkonsultantblog.com/2012/05/star-wars-weekends-411.html

To my knowledge, DHS has never hit capacity during SWW. Anything is possible, but if you are staying on property, you can get in all the way up to a phase 4 closure and I do not see it going to phase 4.

OMG "professional waiters" I love it, like my SIL for Black Friday stuff. Thanks I just found this read the blog

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom