Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Phroobar

Well, the whole thing was in Japanese and this was the last of a few different scenes we saw inside the castle. A kid was chosen to aim a sword at the AA Horn King. Lots of lighting effects and smoke. If you didn't speak Japanese or know the movie you would have no clue what was going on. The skeletons were cool though. It was pretty much like the picture.

Kate F

Is there any chance at all that SWL in DL gets cancelled, or is that just wishful thinking? It probably won't but I hope it does. I would be okay with it being in DCA, although it doesn't fit in that park either, but a large-sized Star Wars land in the Disneyland Park? No, I don't understand how anyone, even Star Wars fans, can be on board with this. I really do think it is going to ruin the entire park.

Californian Elitist

Is there any chance at all that SWL in DL gets cancelled, or is that just wishful thinking? It probably won't but I hope it does. I would be okay with it being in DCA, although it doesn't fit in that park either, but a large-sized Star Wars land in the Disneyland Park? No, I don't understand how anyone, even Star Wars fans, can be on board with this. I really do think it is going to ruin the entire park.

Wishful thinking, unfortunately.

Seriously, all those who thought this was a good idea, and those who green-lit the project need to be fired.

Curious Constance

While it may not be a perfect fit in Disneyland, it wouldn't fit into DCA any better. And since they seem to be going out of their way to keep it from impacting other areas of the park as far as sightlines go, I don't think it will have much effect on the rest of the park. It will be easily avoidable, if you're so inclined. A third park isn't happening anytime soon, so they have to work with what they have.

Californian Elitist

I just meant that Star Wars is supposed to have happened "a long time ago" but still seems futuristic to modern times.

True, it does take place long ago, but it still doesn't work with the original idea of "yesterday" at Disneyland. Same goes for the futuristic aspect of Star Wars, which doesn't work with Disneyland's original "tomorrow." I understand what you're trying to say, though.

George Lucas on a Bench

It just doesn't work having an entire land themed to a single property like that and it doesn't jive with the rest of the park, which is classic Disney. Even Tomorrowland, which is a junkyard, still maintains enough of that feel. Even Toontown (which feels like an extension of Fantasyland) and Critter Country (which feels like a buffer between Frontierland and Fantasyland that got built on the wrong side of the river) have more of the classic DL feel.

Curious Constance

It just doesn't work having an entire land themed to a single property like that and it doesn't jive with the rest of the park, which is classic Disney. Even Tomorrowland, which is a junkyard, still maintains enough of that feel. Even Toontown (which feels like an extension of Fantasyland) and Critter Country (which feels like a buffer between Frontierland and Fantasyland that got built on the wrong side of the river) have more of the classic DL feel.
I suppose you could say that New Orleans Square is just as limited of a land as Star Wars land will be. I realize its different, but it is very limited too. I'm pretty sure all future additions to all theme parks are going to be centered on one property. That just seems to be the preferred method now. And as far as not working, I guess it depends on how you define "work". It will most certainly be popular, successful, and make gazillions of dollars which will be just the definition Disney is looking for.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom