News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Cosmic Commando

I know there‘s actual logic behind some of it, but I can’t help but be reminded of this famous psychology experiment when I read about the boarding group routines. 😂

The Superstition Experiment
In the Summer of 1947, renowned behavioral psychologist B.F. Skinner published his study on a group of pigeons that showed even animals are susceptible to the human condition that is superstition.
Skinner conducted his research on a group of hungry pigeons whose body weights had been reduced to 75% of their normal weight when well-fed. For a few minutes each day, a mechanism fed the birds at regular intervals. What observers of the pigeons found showed the birds developing superstitious behavior, believing that by acting in a particular way, or committing a certain action, food would arrive.

What Skinner Discovered
By the end of the study, three quarters of the birds had become superstitious. One pigeon, in pursuit of food, believed that by turning around in the cage twice or three times between being fed, but not just in any direction; the bird learnt to turn anti-clockwise and appeared to believe that this would mean it being fed.
Now, it's easy to dismiss such behaviour as normal - a bird in a cage might be expected to exercise a little. But the other birds developed unique superstitious behaviours in an attempt to gain a meal.

Soma27

Did one person not ride? Trying to envision the logistics of 17 people on an attraction that dispatches 16 at a time.

-Rob

It was funny, we told the first order interrogation lead 17 and she draw a blank on how to split us. Ended up going 6,6,5 with nobody else in the cars given that we got the private preshow. We were literally the only ones in the preshow, reveal room, and interrogation chamber/ hall. What a way to have a first ride after almost having to skip 1/2 of it.

SoFloMagic

So anyone that got into the park after 7:15 this am wont get to ride? They need to figure out a better system.
If they add FP, nobody except hotel guests will get to ride without waiting hours in a queue without knowing if they'll get to ride. The current system gives every guest an equal opportunity to ride with minimal wait, what's your issue with that?

TomOutEast

What time do I need to be driving into the parking lot in order to be tapped in comfortably before 7AM? Assume I have an average walking pace getting me from my car to entrance. I was tentatively planning on arriving about 06:30 but want to make sure that is enough time. I've seen 30 mins prior being used as a guide but am not sure when/where that timer is starting. I don't know how long it takes to get to the lot from the "driveway", park, walk to the entrance, etc.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
If they add FP, nobody except hotel guests will get to ride without waiting hours in a queue without knowing if they'll get to ride. The current system gives every guest an equal opportunity to ride with minimal wait, what's your issue with that?
Apparently, if they just open up fast passes then all the resort guests will get to ride each day and all others will get to ride every day by just waiting a couple of hours in a standby line, just like Flight of Passage!

You see, the old system left late-risers and many others out of getting to ride, but by opening FP and standby this way, there won’t be any more capacity issues and everyone will get to ride, get it now? Yeah, me neither. 🙄

SoFloMagic

Apparently, if they just open up fast passes then all the resort guests will get to ride each day and all others will get to ride every day by just waiting a couple of hours in a standby line, just like Flight of Passage!

You see, the old system left late-risers and many others out of getting to ride, but by opening FP and standby this way, there won’t be any more capacity issues and everyone will get to ride, get it now? Yeah, me neither. 🙄
Right? What's the capacity on this thing right now, 1/4 of HS guests on a good day? Yeah, standby will go over well.

surfsupdon

At 120 at 5:04pm. At best they're looking at about 130ish today, I'm glad I didn't try for another backup in the 130-140 range. There's no doubt that the 8pm close is hurting them, with last call at 6pm they're barely getting into the first dozen or so backups.

Most importantly, did you see all shows?
I was told yes. I don’t know the movies. And I don’t follow the thread.
There was a hologram girl to outside to a toad man. Then storm troopers (who I thought were good SPOILER ALERT they are not good, then another room and then the ride. And I thought the pre shows were more exciting/better than the moving ride part.

disneygeek90

What time do I need to be driving into the parking lot in order to be tapped in comfortably before 7AM? Assume I have an average walking pace getting me from my car to entrance. I was tentatively planning on arriving about 06:30 but want to make sure that is enough time. I've seen 30 mins prior being used as a guide but am not sure when/where that timer is starting. I don't know how long it takes to get to the lot from the "driveway", park, walk to the entrance, etc.
Make it 6:15 at the parking booths just to be safe, and you’ll be fine.

Twirlnhurl

On January 2, I arrived at the parking lot 35 minutes before park open, and was in the park with a comfortable margin. If you need to buy tickets or set up My Disney Experience accounts, you probably should do that prior to arrival (or add more time--not sure when ticket windows or guest relations open).

Haymarket2008

I’m going on the attraction for the first time on Sunday. I think I would have to say something and ask to wait to experience the pre-shows. That isn’t cool that they’re skipping those sometimes. I can’t have that be my first experience. Are they cool with guests asking to hang back?

disneygeek90

I’m going on the attraction for the first time on Sunday. I think I would have to say something and ask to wait to experience the pre-shows. That isn’t cool that they’re skipping those sometimes. I can’t have that be my first experience. Are they cool with guests asking to hang back?
I would pretty much insist on the full experience first time through. However, I think everyone needs to keep in mind that the reported time that this has happened is about 2 hours in total. It’s definitely not the norm and not something that we should be expecting.

Haymarket2008

I would pretty much insist on the full experience first time through. However, I think everyone needs to keep in mind that the reported time that this has happened is about 2 hours in total. It’s definitely not the norm and not something that we should be expecting.

okay great to know. Yeah there is absolutely no way I’m not getting the full experience first time through. The whole RotR experience is a bit stressful and exciting (boarding groups, pre-show reliability, show element reliability). But either way, I’m excited

Jeremy Geertsema

Been waiting for a bus at wilderness lodge for 30 minutes or more due to half marathon. Not looking good for getting an early number (fly out this afternoon). Other vehicles have been pulling in and out so most frustrated about that. A waste of getting up this early currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom