Star Wars motion simulator?

SorcererGrandma

Original Poster
We went on the Star Wars ride last week and I'm curious how they manage to achieve a sense of motion? It didn't seem like the ride actually moved along rails or anything and yet there was this feeling like gravity was increased as the scene displayed the shuttle picking up speed. Pretty neat effect. So am I wrong? Does the ride actually move like a roller coaster or something? If not, how to they achieve that feeling?

loveofamouse

The ride is a simulator. There are no tracks. You are in a room suspended about 16ft off the floor on 16(?) hydraulic lifts. The effect of speed is acheived by the simulator tipping the room upward so you are thrown back in your seat while the screen shows you images that indicate speed(stars streaking by, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tours

Jerm

It looks like this from the bottom as you move all around!

550017897_a4c962b7bb.jpg

SorcererGrandma

Original Poster
Ah cool. The effect is so well done that I had no idea that I was being tilted back like that. Had I known this, however, I wouldn't have been so willing to put my camera under the seat where it was in contact with some nuts and bolts. I'm so glad it didn't get damaged. You'd think they'd have a suspended bag like Soarin does.

loveofamouse

It looks like this from the bottom as you move all around!

550017897_a4c962b7bb.jpg

I remember, as a kid, going on a tour at WoL at epcot. We were taken to an observation area under the Body Wars sim. I believe they told us there were 4 pumps for each corner but I could be wrong. It was really cool to see, though :)

Jerm

I remember, as a kid, going on a tour at WoL at epcot. We were taken to an observation area under the Body Wars sim. I believe they told us there were 4 pumps for each corner but I could be wrong. It was really cool to see, though :)

That is a star tours sim, so the BW was the same set up.

mp2bill

I think you're right...one for front, back, left, and right.

Kamikaze

Ah cool. The effect is so well done that I had no idea that I was being tilted back like that. Had I known this, however, I wouldn't have been so willing to put my camera under the seat where it was in contact with some nuts and bolts. I'm so glad it didn't get damaged. You'd think they'd have a suspended bag like Soarin does.

Its not rough at all. Its quite tame. For a few months, anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom