Star Wars Land

dstrawn9889

Yeah, the more I think about this the more I think Mos Eisley is the way to go. If done extensively and properly it has the iconography to rival what was done with Potter. With the cantina on one side and Jabba’s palace (even if it’s just a façade) on the other. Maybe an animatronic Bantha tied off outside the cantina. Some storm trooper patrols and wandering Alien M&G (I don’t usually go for meet and greets but I’d line up to get a picture with Hammerhead). Falcon and Sandcrawlers could be walk-throughs or queues for the rides. And then you re-theme the line of Star Tours a bit so it looks like Star Tours took over one of the Mos Esiley hangar bays for their Tattoine branch.

Could work.
hammerhead = Momaw Nadon
226px-250px-MomawNadon.jpg

dstrawn9889

That didn't take long. By the way if you needed any more proof that Star Wars would be wildly successful I had to drag my kids away from gawking at the Star Wars miniatures at Legoland to ride actual rides.
did you notice the figures representing tuscan raiders look like Bender?

doctornick

Tattoine is the most well known of the Star Wars locations (other than maybe space itself). It's part of all but Empire of the original 6 movies and is strongly rumored to be part of the new movie. Most of the major characters from the movie appeared on the planet. It's really a solid choice for a theme park area. It would be pretty easy to build a very detailed Mos Eisley Spaceport and get creative with some of the other locations if they choose. I'm not sure if the physical location is a road block. Hogwarts was a long train ride through the wilderness in the books and movies but Universal pulled off the castle anyway.

I agree with all of this. Also, it's interesting that Disney never has done a desert/sand themed land before (mini-Aladdin areas don't really count) so it would be a nice distinct element to WDW.

lazyboy97o

I agree with all of this. Also, it's interesting that Disney never has done a desert/sand themed land before (mini-Aladdin areas don't really count) so it would be a nice distinct element to WDW.
Morocco Pavilion, Adventureland (Disneyland Paris) and Arabian Coast don't count?

flyerjab

What intrigues me the most about Star Wars being added is how it will be added to DHS. Will it be one land focused on one location - i.e. Tatooine - or will they somehow create locations from several planets. I don't see how the latter can work unless they plan on shutting down a lot of currently offered rides/experiences while also adding on to the size of the park. WDW is still pretty good with theming, sight lines (when practical), etc., so having a mishmash of locations right next to one another without the proper transitions is just something that I do not see happening. I am in the camp of them probably doing one main land like Tatooine, with maybe a transition into a secondary land like Endor. If they try to keep adding additional locations I just don't see how it would work. To me, if DHS is indeed the first Disney park where the Star Wars franchise is going to be constructed, it should start with Tatooine. That is where the OT started out and it is one of the most prominent locations throughout the entire 6 film canon.

Although a desert locale, I feel that Tatooine - Mos Eisley specifically - certainly offers an excellent variety of possible rides/shows/activities/etc. The Cantina is a must do, no questions asked. This could be the QS/TS anchor restaurant in the area. Another option (I saw someone else mention) is Jabba the Hut's palace. It might be on the outskirts of Mos Eisley or wherever, but in this case due to the reality of the limitations of usable park land and the necessity for as many experiences as possible, I think it should be included. Jabba's palace could be another eating option, with a show as an added plus to the establishment. I think that to truly compete with DA at UNI, WDW needs to completely take out all the stops with this land. Each trip to Tatooine/Mos Eisley/Jabba's Palace in the movies needs to be rewatched countless times to tease out as much as possible for attractions/interactions. The experience should be stretched out to include CMs dressed in alien costumes walking around the space port area. Someone mentioned an AA Bantha outside the Cantina - excellent idea. One idea I have had for a show would be an evening show, where Tuskan Raiders try to attack Mos Eisley and several Jedi show up to fend off the attack. The ideas are limitless. In the Cantina, Greedo could show up, or at the very least, there should be CMs again dressed up for walk throughs to add to the believability factor. In Jabba's Palace, you could have R2 units serving drinks in the bar area - oh the magic band capabilities. And remember, this paragraph is mainly about the eating options and possible shows.

As far as rides go, in this scenario, I think a land speeder spinner would be good. And instead of all of them looking the same, each one could be unique. You could have a droid factory walk-through of some kind with CMs dressed as Jawas. The Millennium Falcon could also be a walk-through. But I feel that it would be better served as part of a larger queue for a Death Star attack coaster. On Tatooine, there is also the possibility of using the pod race as an E-Ticket ride of some sort. The Star Tours ride could be changed slightly in that it takes off from Mos Eisley. Instead of an Indiana Jones Stunt Show, you could have a stunt show (or actual show for that matter) based off of the great rescue scene from Jabba the Hut in ROTJ.

I could go on and on about this, and I am not a true engineer, just a fan of the franchise. There is so much potential, as I basically touched upon Tatooine only. I wonder what Scott Trowbridge and his team are up to. Maybe they are looking at this from a global perspective. Maybe instead of having multiple Star Wars lands in each of the parks, maybe Tatooine will only be in DHS. Maybe Endor will only be in DL. Maybe Naboo will only be in TDL. When I say only, though, I mean that they would be the primary-themed land. There is always the possibility to have other lands/options in smaller venues at these locations (i.e., Jedi Training Academy).

Time will tell, but as I said before, I hope that UNI has knocked it out of the part with Diagon Alley. I want to be completely amazed when I visit there because UNI has sold me lock, stock and barrel with what they are doing. I am a Disney fan first, though, so I am hoping that Disney responds in kind.

This franchise cost you 4 billion - don't eff it up Iger...

RSoxNo1

Going the route of a space port like Mos Eisley would be the smart bet, that way you could have the town aspect. Thinking of outdoor Star wars locations the ones that stand out are Mos Eisley, Endor, Dagobah, and maybe Hoth.

This is tricky, trying to figure out a way to map something out like Diagon Alley is hard - Potter is Real-World based and has significant outdoor elements to pull from. Star Wars is ship / space based, with more interiors to draw from than locations.
I would expect it to be an almagimation of different areas, similar to Fantasyland. A couple of years ago, a poster on here (I apologize for forgetting who it was) mapped out a great re-design of Echo Lake to a Lucas Land. It had the traditions well thought out from the Forest Moon of Endor to a traditional forest where an Indiana Jones Attraction would reside.

There is obviously more than enough source material in the Star Wars Universe to go in so many different directions. I think the most important thing here is that they don't paint themselves into a corner. The other aspect people need to consider is the current Star Tours attraction. That isn't going anywhere, but the facade, queue and shop can certainly all be changed. A spaceport would make sense, but then you're not actually walking through the physical scenes like you would be in Cars Land and Harry Potter. Perhaps the other option would be an indoor Space Port that acts as a Game Central Station hub of sorts but allows you to pass into various locales.

I'm sure any one of us could come up with dozens of different options simply because so many exist. One of the risks with a great IP now though is that they under do it. They could just as easily put out a Toy Story Mania type ride where you wield light sabers at stuff and a care of Ewok's petting zoo.

doctornick

At this point, I'm leaning towards making Echo Lake into a themed land based on Tantooine. It would be better to make it thematically cohesive with one "world" and there's a lot of potential concepts to work with based on Tantooine:

* Mos Eisley Cantina
* Jabba's Palace
* Sarlaac Pit
* General Spaceport concept (as a launch site for Star Tours or as a home to the Millennium Falcon)
* Sandcrawler/Jawas (with maybe a droid factory concept which would lend well to a larger merch of "build your own droid")
* Pod racing/Boonta Eve Classic
* Landspeeder
* Encounter with Sand People

With a spaceport setup, it allows for any attraction where you enter the queue in the spaceport but the ride is in "space" (like a dueling X-wing/Tie-Fighter type ride, for example).

Then I think they could do a later Phase 2 (I know, Phase 2's never happen at Disney) and take something out of Uni's playbook putting a different world (Endor, Hoth, Naboo, whatever) in a different corner of the park (say, taking over LMA) and have a "spaceship" go between the lands as in park transport.

Mastermott

With all the great ideas posted here, and with loads more within the secret hallways of Disney/Lucas I am glad For once, that Disney is taking time to examine every possibility. We are always wanting action sooner than later, but in this case, with such a huge amount of material, I would rather see a long-range plan. As for an announcement, anyone want to venture a guess when we WILL hear something officially? I think around the release of Episode VII; tied into a premiere at Disneyland or WDW.

doctornick

Two planets, one at DHS and one at Epcot with Star Wars based transportation between the two. Will require a park hopper to ride the transportation.

Except, of course, that Star Wars doesn't fit at Epcot at all. If they were going to go park, then I think DAK would be better with using Endor or Kashyyk (but still terrible) plus it would actually connect DAK to another park in a way other than buses. But it's quite a distance.

I think if they want to do the "connect two different Star Wars worlds" that doing it within DHS would be best. And it would help with how boxed in DHS is as well as (finally) provide some internal park transport missing from DHS.

Yankee Mouse

I think the only way to do the Star Wars universe any justice at DHS is with an expansion of the park. Of course that won't happen. After all, as Walt said during his announcement of the Florida project:

There is enough land here to hold all the Disney Vacation Clubs we could possibly imagine.

RSoxNo1

I think the only way to do the Star Wars universe any justice at DHS is with an expansion of the park. Of course that won't happen. After all, as Walt said during his announcement of the Florida project:

There is enough land here to hold all the Disney Vacation Clubs we could possibly imagine.
You don't even need to expand the park. You can get rid of Echo Lake and Streets of America and you have a huge footprint. I could see that being the approach with only Star Tours still here in the next 10 years.

G00fyDad

MK - Nabboo
AK - Kashyyk, or Endor, or Yavin
HS - Tatooine
EP - Coruscant

It would increase the amount of park hoppers sold, AND if all opened at the same time it would prevent attendance from lowering at the three parks while increasing at one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom