Trip Report Star Wars Interactive Adventure! (sort of)

On my recent trip, myself and two friends -- all big Star Wars fans -- participated in the new Star Wars Rebels Interactive Adventure and I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Now let me preface this by saying that we had recently done the Haunted Mansion Ghost Post as a birthday gift, which was really incredible. Amazing value for the money, tons of custom gifts each month, more than worthwhile. And Ghost Post subscribers even got custom rides on Haunted Mansion, with custom audio! So when we heard that a Star Wars interactive thing was coming, well, we jumped on it. The full package wasn't cheap -- $499! -- and we hesitated, but the big Star Wars fan among us decided to go for it. It must be pretty incredible for that kind of money, right?

We arrived at our hotel room to find a banner covering the door with blinking LEDs on it, Rebel and Imperial recruitment posters on the walls, and "graffiti" stickers on the cupboards, as well as a Jedi Holocron, an instruction book, and mysterious locked metal boxes on the counter. The iPhone app let us scan things for "secret messages", and we found a Rebel "survival" blanket, a plastic lightsaber, and our Imperial disguises in the cupboards, stashed away by our Rebel friends! Very cool, nicely done. The app told us to wear our disguises and go to Star Tours.

So the next day we went to Star Tours in our Imperial hats and "medal bars" and rode the ride. The Cast Members didn't react at all. I asked a CM about the app and disguises and they said "yeah, there's nothing here." The app told us we should go back to the hotel. So that night we went back and it gave us the "secret code" to open our metal boxes: we each got a really nice medal, duplicates of the ones at the end of Star Wars. Yay?

So, all in all, it had some very nice swag for Star Wars fans, but virtually zero "interactive" content. Nothing special on Star Tours, nothing to discover in the parks, not even a CM saying "oh no! Imperials!" or anything at all. Not at all worth the crazily inflated cost, and a pretty big letdown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom