News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Darkbeer1

If Florida got to keep their wireless track layout because their safety laws are more lax than California while Disneyland had to install tracks, would you feel safe on the Florida version?

The better question is will Disney and its Lawyers feel financially safe if the Florida version fails and causes injury(s) or even worse....

ProfessorPepper

With these trackless ride vehicles I understand its more futuristic to have them controlled via wifi but what's the problem with programming them to "go 2 meters then turn right 30 degrees and so on..." The way I see it, this would have been a much simpler solution to the problem of trackless rides. Is there any variability I'm missing because if they're only moving around 5 mph like I thought I read somewhere then they would seem very predictable.

mickEblu

I can't talk about the Disney side of things, but I can talk the state's DOSH requirements.

If WiFi controls the ride vehicles, if the WiFi doesn't work for whatever reason, the ride MUST switch over to some sort of Safe Mode Immediately. That could be shutting down the ride until it is restored (such as them not moving, though show scenes could still operate), or switching to some preprogrammed mode, such as tracks. The key is 100% reliability and that the vehicles remain a safe distance from each other and other dangers.

So it is up to Disney to prove that to the state. And with a first of its kind system, the state is going to be very picky to protect the safety of the riders.

Oh boy, why do I have a feeling this ride system is going to be so unreliable that we’ll wish it was on a track.

britain

I can't talk about the Disney side of things, but I can talk the state's DOSH requirements.

If WiFi controls the ride vehicles, if the WiFi doesn't work for whatever reason, the ride MUST switch over to some sort of Safe Mode Immediately. That could be shutting down the ride until it is restored (such as them not moving, though show scenes could still operate), or switching to some preprogrammed mode, such as tracks. The key is 100% reliability and that the vehicles remain a safe distance from each other and other dangers.

So it is up to Disney to prove that to the state. And with a first of its kind system, the state is going to be very picky to protect the safety of the riders.

I'm sure the state is going to be picky, but Disney will be up to the task.

Technically, both Indy and Radiator Springs Racers work very much like trackless vehicles. The slots they follow are just to provide a connection to a power rail. They turn left/right because their programming tells them to turn left/right, not because they're hooked to a track.

(Trying to remember, was it Test Track or Indy that had a vehicle go rogue and drive into a wall before the attraction opened?)

In light of all this, I suspect it's the coordination of multiple elements that is causing the headaches. Even if the vehicles were on a track, you'd still need to make sure the elevators are in position to receive them, and the video projections of the Stormtroopers are playing at the right spot so that it squinches in believable 3D space (it can't just be a continuous "If You Had Wings" style loop), scenes need to have battle damage appear and reset at the right time, etc. etc.

Again, this is just my guess, but it has a lot more to do with this show not being a 'roll into each scene at anytime' type of attraction than some 'tell the vehicles to turn right/left safely' issue.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Disney has trackless rides that have operated for many years (Pooh and Ratatouille for instance). It's not like this is new, just pushing the envelope a bit.

But in California? Yes, showing proof of reliability in another location is a plus. But still, the state is the picked juridicition in the Amusement Ride business.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Disney has trackless rides that have operated for many years (Pooh and Ratatouille for instance). It's not like this is new, just pushing the envelope a bit.

Well apparently they’ve pushed the envelope to the point where they can’t get the dang thing to work for more then a few minutes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly! I don’t know why everyone is freaking out again
I don't think anyone is freaking out. Its a discussion on when it'll open. Its what we do here. We discuss, theorize, discuss some more, blue sky, argue over small details, and discuss some more.

Basically it'll open when Disney is ready for it to open.

Stripes

Part of me suspects Disney hasn’t given a RotR opening because they don’t want anybody holding off their visits any longer. The other part suspects there are big problems.

I’m leaning towards the former.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom