News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

HiJe

With all the story immersion that is expected, does anyone have any ideas regarding Christmas decorations? Or does Santa not exist in space? Space Santa? Kylo Clause?

nokahoma

...I bow out of Star Wars talk once somebody throws out a term like "Mary Sue Rey." The only thing hurting this franchise are the obsessive fans who nitpick everything to death, and the angry men who've tried to turn Star Wars into another GamerGate. Not saying anybody in this thread is either of those, but "Mary Sue Rey" is a big red flag.

Phroobar

...I bow out of Star Wars talk once somebody throws out a term like "Mary Sue Rey." The only thing hurting this franchise are the obsessive fans who nitpick everything to death, and the angry men who've tried to turn Star Wars into another GamerGate. Not saying anybody in this thread is either of those, but "Mary Sue Rey" is a big red flag.
Have you seen the Frozen II trailer? Total Mary Sue Elsa.

DisneyRoy

Point taken. I get it is a theme park but when comparing this to Harry Potter they aint selling Ron Weasley plush dolls or Harry Potter blu rays in Hogsmeade Village as part of their immersion. Disney has been advertising this as the next step in theme park immersion. Where the goal is to make you believe you are not in a theme park at all with cast members acting the part as if they were Daniel Day Lewis being in characther the whole time, no ride entrance signs or visa logos. So it makes no sense for their shops to sell what they will be selling per their own goal of the land. No some exec said "it's star wars land. Star Wars has lightsabers. We need to sell lightsabers. Universal sells wands. We have to sell lightsabers" without thinking about how detriment it is to the story of their own land and the experience they want guests to have.
From Touring Plans blog....The story goes that Savi is a scrapper who has been collecting little pieces of lightsabers throughout the galaxy for years in hopes that one day, a true hero would come to his shop with the ability to actually put them together.

britain

From Touring Plans blog....The story goes that Savi is a scrapper who has been collecting little pieces of lightsabers throughout the galaxy for years in hopes that one day, a true hero would come to his shop with the ability to actually put them together.

Perhaps...you! Maybe you are that rare, force-sensitive person who can intuitively assemble these pieces in the same manner as the ancient Jedi masters. You just might be that special find...you may be a vergence in the force!

You...and the dozen other people here in the shop too.

Old Mouseketeer

Perhaps...you! Maybe you are that rare, force-sensitive person who can intuitively assemble these pieces in the same manner as the ancient Jedi masters. You just might be that special find...you may be a vergence in the force!

You...and the dozen other people here in the shop too.

Inside joke from Disneyland's Jedi Academy. A friend of mine worked the show and a new backstage person thought the narrator's prologue said the Jedi were searching the galaxy for "four sensitive children". They were confused for weeks because the show never narrowed down the kids to only four! It became kind of the official Mondegreen of Jedi Academy.

Old Mouseketeer

(Psst, that coaster is gone)

Does this mean Disney can add the Beastly Kingdom back to DAK? The dueling dragons coaster idea was lifted from the original concept for DAK. Guess Disney shouldn't have laid off all those Imagineers. LOL That's one of the little-known legacies from the early Eisner years. For three decades working at WED was pretty secure. Then they did the massive build-up for Tokyo Disneyland, EPCOT, and the new Fantasyland with the consequent layoff of Disney-trained Imagineers.

Phroobar

Oh brother!
Would this sound better:

From Touring Plans blog....The story goes that Rose is a crazy old woman who has been collecting little pieces of the Titanic throughout the world for years in hopes that one day, Jack would come to her shop with the ability to actually put their lives back together.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's somehow not as ludicrous.

See, a store where you can build a lightsaber doesn't actually need a story. The idea of some alien going around the universe collecting sword parts and not knowing how to put them together or whatever? What?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I think they've given plenty of justification for it.

First, a fellow Toydarian runs the toy shop. It's not necessarily Watto, it's just another Toydarian.

Second, the dolls and the replica lightsabers being sold are due to the legends of the characters we know from the film spreading throughout the galaxy. This is the Star Wars version of how you can buy a Michael Jordan basketball jersey or an Eric Clapton signature Stratocaster.
since when is watto legendary in the world of star wars? what has he done to be considered being immortalized as a doll? he is just a random junk dealer know one knows about on tatooine.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Lightsabers are more popular after episode VIII because the legend of Luke Skywalker has resonated around the galaxy. Street vendors, wanting to cash in on this latest craze with younglings have decided to offer a product which mimics the qualities of a lightsaber, but safe for younglings with no force powers to operate.

First Order Uniforms would not be available in any respectable town, but this is a distant outpost which sells all sorts of contraband and junk to those looking to buy. A First Order Uniform might be just what a smuggler needs to buy for a certain drop.

And we do walk onto the physical Falcon. We enter the showbuilding, find that they have lowered the Falcon into a maintenance bay, and walk onto the physical ship.
does not work for only jedi know how to build them. it was part of their training to build their own. no one but a jedi knows how to build them hence why Rey uses Luke's old one and why Kylo has his own. he built his. random dealers on the outskirts of the universe are not going to know how to build them or where to find kyber cyrstals in order to make them work.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I remember when Avatar first came out, and there were reports of people visiting their therapists upset that they couldn't go live on Pandora. Hardcore Star Wars fans are going to have to accept Galaxy's Edge is an addition to a theme park, and as such, is a theme park, not an actual planet. As for the vaunted theming of Hogwarts, I don't remember a redressed "dueling dragons" roller coaster being in the book, or muggles walking around with video cameras, or wait time signs, or hand rails in switchback lines, or ride attraction warning signs, or benches with shoulder and body restraints...etc. It's not Hogwarts, which doesn't exist. It's a theme park area based on the various Harry Potter properties. As for merchandise...believe it or not, they sell plush toys, t-shirts, coffee mugs and whatnot there, too.

fantastic_merch.png
but the problem is Disney is trying to go to the next level of immersion by making it seem you are not in a theme park so their merch sales should also reflect that. they are going great lengths to make you feel you are no longer in Disneyland except in this one area.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

but she is a Mary Sue. Rey is a horrible character. I love me strong female characthers. Ripley, Sarah Conner, The Bride from Kill Bill. she is a bad ! however Rey has not achieved anything on her own. there is no character growth. she knows how to do everything , speak any language, can fight like a pro with a lightsaber with out real training. luke got his butt handed to him in empire and had his face mauled and his hand cut off. at the same story point in last jedi rey is flying around in the falcon shooting tie fighters on crait and having fun. she is a horrible character and definition of a mary sue and I challenege you to give me story points that prove other wise. I have no problem having a actual debate with someone who has solid points to back up their claims but just being biased towards someone who uses the term "mary sue rey" says more about you than me pal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom