News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

rle4lunch

The Haunted Mansion attraction doesn't draw off of familiarity with the film. It is quite the opposite. Snow White, Mr Toad and other Fantasyland Attractions are obviously based upon IPs.

Ugh. It's like talking to a wall. As soon as you trademark anything, it belongs to the creator as their intellectual property. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a movie has been made.

britain

No one is complaining that Disney is building attractions that contain IP. The complaint (from some) is that today's Disney seems to only build attractions that promote pre-existing IP.

Earl Sweatpants

This might get long, so hang with me.

I think the IP debate has been largely confusing and it really just boils down to semantics.

Intellectual Property is defined as "a work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design, to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc."

By this definition Disneyland itself is an IP. I'd even go so far as to say that nothing exists in Disneyland that isn't...

Now, I think where people are getting crossed wires is when someone flatly says, "I wish Disney would stop adding IP to the parks"...etc. (I admit, I was guilty of that in the past). But that doesn't really makes sense, because that logically means that they don't want ANYTHING added to the park. So, let's clear out that line of thinking.

What's REALLY being discussed in matters of IP is the merits of Disney adding something original vs pre-existing. The problem some of us have is that it seems like Disney is only interested in adding pre-existing IP to its parks and has put the kaibosh on creating anything original.

Original IPs like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, ALL of Epcot Center, etc. are what some of us long for when we go to Disney. If we strictly wanted movie-based attractions, we could go to Universal. But frankly, I believe WDI was partially created TO make original IP and they did so amazingly. Current brass at the top seems to have forgotten what WDI is capable of when given blue-sky assignments.

Looking at it another way, let's say WDI is like a bakery. They know they have all the necessary ingredients to make an amazing, original cake, but then in comes management with a box-mix and says, "OK, make this the best it can be".

Bad analogies aside, I truly hope we can all get over the "non-IP Disney" vs the "IP Disney" because by definition, they're the same thing.

There is no such thing as a "non-IP" attraction.

Earl Sweatpants

Look I hate to be a buzz-kill, but could this IP discussion move to another thread? I'm here for Star Wars Land Construction, not another debate that I've seen happen over and over on these boards. Sorry to be a party pooper, haha. :D
You're right, I just needed to get that last bit off my chest.

In other news...um, the show building is getting bigger!

Earl Sweatpants

Borrowed from MiceChat's SWL update.
SWL-Mar-2-W-11-610x407.jpg

SWL-Mar-2-W-3-610x407.jpg

SWL-Mar-2-W-5-610x407.jpg

SWL-Mar-2-W-14-610x407.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom