News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

RedGinger

Because it came out too soon after Ep 8 and just wasn't a story that really needed to be told.

... I assume we're talking about Solo.

... and Ep 8 was really poorly received by lots of us in the fandom (no matter how some try to spin it). I for one didn't see Solo because I was kinda cheesed off with the franchise after TLJ and I know of lots of people who did the same (yes that's anecdotal, but still).

Mac Tonight

DCA aside :hilarious:

I'm speaking very broad strokes looking at the full global profile.
The global profile might have some winners in the bunch, but that's about it.
And those stand in stark contrast to things like Pixar Pier, which is the equivalent of him taking a dump in his own backyard and inviting his neighbors to come round for a look-see.

Stevek

... and Ep 8 was really poorly received by lots of us in the fandom (no matter how some try to spin it). I for one didn't see Solo because I was kinda cheesed off with the franchise after TLJ and I know of lots of people who did the same (yes that's anecdotal, but still).
You missed a really good movie. Much better than TLJ. I’ll never understand the whole avoid the movie because I didn’t like TLJ or I wanted to make a statement thing.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

No one is saying you can't, especially not me. I just have a different way to look at things which works for me.

Sorry Pressler was far worse by a factor of at least 100. But you weren't born yet to experience most of his affects on the parks. Which proves my point, Chapek maybe here today but won't always be. So as the saying goes, this too shall pass, as such I choose not to let it affect my park memories.

You're right. Chapek isn't comparable to Pressler. Take the worst from everything you can glean from the post-Walt era: Tatum/Walker, Miller et al, Eisner (except the Eisner/Wells decade), and Iger (including Chapek). None of it can compare to the Eisner/Pressler years. The immediate post-Walt years may have been massively timid, regressive, and incompetent, but nothing matches Pressler for gross, malicious, self-immolation!

Pressler was the anti-Walt.

TROR

Don't feed the troll.
Then you would starve.

You missed a really good movie. Much better than TLJ.
Awful take. Solo was a boring drag of a movie that tried so hard to be gritty and edgy but in the end felt nothing like Star Wars. The Last Jedi actually offered something new that still held true to Star Wars and its characters.

Stevek

Then you would starve.

Awful take. Solo was a boring drag of a movie that tried so hard to be gritty and edgy but in the end felt nothing like Star Wars. The Last Jedi actually offered something new that still held true to Star Wars and its characters.
Awful take back at you. They both, to me, felt like Star Wars but I just felt Solo was a better movie. I didn’t say I didn’t like TLJ btw.

Old Mouseketeer

Well, I'm not say Chapek is great or anything and it sucks to hear some of what was cut. But from what Old Mouseketeer is indicating this is slightly outdated information. Some of the stuff is coming back, just maybe not as extensive as it was originally intended to be. This is the nature of projects in large companies, things get cut, things get changed, and some things come back. Its the nature of business.

Just remember things get cut all the time from park projects, even in Walt's day. Its only now with the internet there is much more light shown on it so the fandom can react immediately to it and everyone is up in arm about it.

I don't disagree. But I also think management today is more reactionary. It could be argued that Walt sometimes acted on instinct (like breaking ground on Matterhorn while Roy was in NY--if you believe the story). But I would argue that Chapek is gaining a reputation that is based more on strictly financial considerations of "playing it safe" with little creative/intuitive skill. YMMV.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't disagree. But I also think management today is more reactionary. It could be argued that Walt sometimes acted on instinct (like breaking ground on Matterhorn while Roy was in NY--if you believe the story). But I would argue that Chapek is gaining a reputation that is based more on strictly financial considerations of "playing it safe" with little creative/intuitive skill. YMMV.
One could say a lot of companies today are reactionary and “play it safe”. It’s not isolated to just Disney and its management.

Companies with creative visionary leaders that take risks are few, especially these days, it’s why they are held to a different standard. So because of that when that visionary is gone too many try to second guess or condemn the management that comes after them, even decades after. Apple is going through that right now, for the second time.

In the end Chapek really won’t be praised for being a visionary or some great leader, but he also won’t be listed as one of the worst to head the parks either.

PB Watermelon

I like Solo, but in hindsight, it probably could have used a little more Lord & Miller.

I thought that goofball droid's rights character and that whole sequence was badly mishandled, right on par with Jar-Jar. If you wanted more goofball nuttery, Lord and Miller are your huckleberries.

socalifornian

Who is wearing high heels to a theme park?
94D48D73-AABE-4E3F-BAC0-3ED05CD97DEE.jpeg

41AED7AD-6838-483F-AB4E-AEA9862EBCCC.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom