News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Stop playing dumb and coy. There are threads for each of the sequels. You don't need the title to be "why it's a piece of garbage" to give your opinion. The thread exists and the lack of an exacting title is no excuse to bring it up in other threads.
I had no idea that thread existed. I am being serious. I only every go to the Disneyworld forum and here. I have not explored much of what else the site has to offer.

Darkbeer1

>>Like any traveler, the first word you’re likely to learn is “hello.” Batuu has two greetings depending on the time of day. “Bright suns” is the appropriate salutation during the day. “Rising moons” works for the evening. Think of them as the equivalent of “good morning” and “good evening.”

The most common phrase you are likely to hear shouted in Galaxy’s Edge is “Til the Spires.” It’s one of several ways of saying farewell. But Batuuans often turn it into a fervent rallying cry. Say it with the panache of an Italian “arrivederci.”

You can also say goodbye with the more formal “May the spires keep you” or the more casual “Good journey.”

Children in Black Spire Outpost are referred to as “younglings.” Or possibly “padawans” if they are particularly strong with the Force. The littlest ones travel via “youngling transport” — or what we on Earth would call a stroller.

Restrooms in Galaxy’s Edge are known as “refreshers.” Water fountains are “hydrators.” Star Wars fans looking for Easter eggs hidden throughout Galaxy’s Edge will want to ask a cast member for directions to the refresher near the Blue Milk stand. Across from the refresher — conveniently labeled “restroom” for visiting non-Batuuans — you’ll find a hydrator boasting an Instagram-worthy special effect. Press the button for water and an audio-animatronic Dianoga beast will pop up in the glass cistern tank feeding the drinking fountain. The one-eyed space squid from the Death Star trash compactor scene in the original 1977 “Star Wars” movie lives in the pipes supplying the refresher and hydrator.

If you still need help speaking Batuuese — or the Star Wars languages of Aurebesh or Huttese — you can always check your “data pad,” the local word for smartphone. The name references the Galaxy’s Edge Data Pad, a mobile app created for the land that turns Black Spire Outpost into an immersive real-world role-playing universe. A translation tool inside the app let users deciphers languages spoken by alien creatures and carved into building facades throughout the land.

And if you are completely lost for words, you can always turn to the old standby: “Only the ancients know.” Simply translated, it means “I don’t know.”<<

TROR

>>Like any traveler, the first word you’re likely to learn is “hello.” Batuu has two greetings depending on the time of day. “Bright suns” is the appropriate salutation during the day. “Rising moons” works for the evening. Think of them as the equivalent of “good morning” and “good evening.”

The most common phrase you are likely to hear shouted in Galaxy’s Edge is “Til the Spires.” It’s one of several ways of saying farewell. But Batuuans often turn it into a fervent rallying cry. Say it with the panache of an Italian “arrivederci.”

You can also say goodbye with the more formal “May the spires keep you” or the more casual “Good journey.”

Children in Black Spire Outpost are referred to as “younglings.” Or possibly “padawans” if they are particularly strong with the Force. The littlest ones travel via “youngling transport” — or what we on Earth would call a stroller.

Restrooms in Galaxy’s Edge are known as “refreshers.” Water fountains are “hydrators.” Star Wars fans looking for Easter eggs hidden throughout Galaxy’s Edge will want to ask a cast member for directions to the refresher near the Blue Milk stand. Across from the refresher — conveniently labeled “restroom” for visiting non-Batuuans — you’ll find a hydrator boasting an Instagram-worthy special effect. Press the button for water and an audio-animatronic Dianoga beast will pop up in the glass cistern tank feeding the drinking fountain. The one-eyed space squid from the Death Star trash compactor scene in the original 1977 “Star Wars” movie lives in the pipes supplying the refresher and hydrator.

If you still need help speaking Batuuese — or the Star Wars languages of Aurebesh or Huttese — you can always check your “data pad,” the local word for smartphone. The name references the Galaxy’s Edge Data Pad, a mobile app created for the land that turns Black Spire Outpost into an immersive real-world role-playing universe. A translation tool inside the app let users deciphers languages spoken by alien creatures and carved into building facades throughout the land.

And if you are completely lost for words, you can always turn to the old standby: “Only the ancients know.” Simply translated, it means “I don’t know.”<<
You know what they should do instead? Just say "hello" and "have a magical day" or whatever it is they say everywhere else in the park.

Darkbeer1

So during my day today, out and about, and found typo's and errors in multiple places. From two misspellings in the Calico Gazette hand out at Ghost Town Alive at Knott's (Main Article on the front page), to errors in the International Pow Wow material, and then in the "101 Things to do in Orange County" magazine you find at Hotels and tourist attractions. Let alone serious typo's, but also wrong facts. This is from the top of the main article, the first thing to do...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seeing these pictures of the land make me realize that I’m not as much of a Star Wars fan as I thought. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super impressed with what they’ve done but I don’t feel an emotional attachment to any of it. I’m definitely impressed how the scope/ scale and quality turned out but not particularly fond of this very drab tan/ gray/ desert vibe aesthetic.

Even on the Disney map you can see how it’s just this huge sea of beige/tan/ gray where as the rest of the park/ map has a nice flow of color.
For SOME reason...the filmmakers are so in love with the “worn desert aesthetic” that they keep recycling it for near every movie and doing it again and again. It’s disappointing that they have done it in the parks too. It is the least interesting (opinion) of the settings in the original trilogy. The ones of empire and Jedi - save the sail barge story wrap up - were more comepelling and what I wanted to be in.
It is a little underwhelming at first as I am not a huge fan as well. When I went, it just seemed small at first and kinda forced in its spot. That doesn't mean it wasn't amazing!I absolutely loved most of the things there and made me happy to get a chance to see it. The desert vibe is also shoehorned into the land as you go from a desert land to a sleek shop. I do agree with you on that statement. No matter if you are a fan or not, you will definitely love/like it.
Thanks for the honest opinion.
If I had any say I would have greenlit Pandora for DL before SWL. Not that either is a great fit but I think Pandora is the better of the two choices for DL.
DAK is an incredibly expensive park to run. It’s always needed the draw/attendance. It’s silly to always insist that every new development be packaged/shipped/replicated all over the world. They do that enough already that it’s getting tacky.
And that's just the guests!
Big shocker here...patronizing people being honest with nothing else to contribute. Defend the shield.
Playing a video game like this with five other people sounds potentially more frustrating than fun. BLAB and TSMM are very fun because you play individually and you can compare your score to the person next to you. But I can see how the teamwork element of this ride might lead to lower-than-expected GSATs.

I remember about a year or two ago correcting certain folks here on their misconceptions of the sizes and shapes of the lands. Fun times. I’m glad it’s a joke now.
The last time i was in Disneyland - October 2016 - I remember looking at it on Disneyland drive coming off the 5...and thinking “why did they shoehorn that in the armpit of a highway?” It seemed forced. I thought DCA would have been a better spot. I’ll never understand that.

The scales of the two lands are nearly identical-correct?

Here’s the problem: both are way too small. Especially in Florida. Gonna be a damn mess.
SR is way better than Star Tours by 1000%
Star tours is perhaps the most underwhelming ride in theme park history - based on potential. You take the biggest movie franchise ever and put in that awful 80’a tech? And let it linger forever??

God, I hope the new simmy-sim is better...and maybe eventually they’ll discover gravity in the Star Wars theme park universe?

You know...for the billion fans who aren’t 7 years old?

socalifornian

For SOME reason...the filmmakers are so in love with the “worn desert aesthetic” that they keep recycling it for near every movie and doing it again and again. It’s disappointing that they have done it in the parks too. It is the least interesting (opinion) of the settings in the original trilogy. The ones of empire and Jedi - save the sail barge story wrap up - were more comepelling
I said Kamino would’ve been good for WDW in another comment, Dagobah is the real perfect fit tho. No wall of Disney Rock™️ required

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I said Kamino would’ve been good for WDW in another comment, Dagobah is the real perfect fit tho. No wall of Disney Rock™️ required
They wouldn’t touch a prequel green screen location with a 10,000 foot pole...

But I think a forestscape combined with a more space/cloud city type upper bilevel was the way to go.

But you know - they went with “abrams land”...trying to “claim” Star Wars without owning any of the actual films with this “galaxys edge” stuff.

A wise move - I suppose - when the franchise history is now more populated with land mines than movies that captivate the imagination.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Here’s the problem: both are way too small. Especially in Florida. Gonna be a damn mess.

Is this not the largest land they've ever built?

Star tours is perhaps the most underwhelming ride in theme park history - based on potential. You take the biggest movie franchise ever and put in that awful 80’a tech?

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? Star Tours was built using 80s tech because it was built in the 80s. It was considered incredibly cutting edge at the time, and a perfect medium to carry Star Wars into the parks.

mickEblu

For SOME reason...the filmmakers are so in love with the “worn desert aesthetic” that they keep recycling it for near every movie and doing it again and again. It’s disappointing that they have done it in the parks too. It is the least interesting (opinion) of the settings in the original trilogy. The ones of empire and Jedi - save the sail barge story wrap up - were more comepelling and what I wanted to be in.

Thanks for the honest opinion.

DAK is an incredibly expensive park to run. It’s always needed the draw/attendance. It’s silly to always insist that every new development be packaged/shipped/replicated all over the world. They do that enough already that it’s getting tacky.

Big shocker here...patronizing people being honest with nothing else to contribute. Defend the shield.

The last time i was in Disneyland - October 2016 - I remember looking at it on Disneyland drive coming off the 5...and thinking “why did they shoehorn that in the armpit of a highway?” It seemed forced. I thought DCA would have been a better spot. I’ll never understand that.

Star tours is perhaps the most underwhelming ride in theme park history - based on potential. You take the biggest movie franchise ever and put in that awful 80’a tech? And let it linger forever??

God, I hope the new simmy-sim is better...and maybe eventually they’ll discover gravity in the Star Wars theme park universe?

You know...for the billion fans who aren’t 7 years old?

Yeah the dessert aesthetic just does nothing for me.

You mean a clone like SWL? Anyway, I’m not insisting anything. I said if given the choice between the two I would have taken Pandora over SWL for DL. Of the two newest single IP lands based on current and future blockbusters, I think it’s the better fit for DL

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is this not the largest land they've ever built?
How many rides, kid? How’s that gonna work with demand of non-CM Preview nights?

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? Star Tours was built using 80s tech because it was built in the 80s. It was considered incredibly cutting edge at the time, and a perfect medium to carry Star Wars into the parks.
I’ll amend...it was not great at first...but to your point: I think they could have been replaced around the 2000 ish era if George and Mikey could agree water was wet.

It was fine for its day. But it’s not some sort of “classic ride” now. Gots to go. From all locations

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom