News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

ThistleMae

People like to complain...I'm one of them...although I try to be optimistic most of the time. I think it's just human nature to focus on the negative, or so it seems from my experience with other human beings. Perhaps interacting with extraterrestrials in SWGE will change us.

Rich T

If that is true then they need one of these.
41d11IcPL%2BL.jpg
Recommended gear for 50% of AP holders. :D

DisneyRoy

I'm taking this view as well. I don't think it's going to be super interactive. I think the land will be cool and so will the rides, but actually controlling the moves the ship will take, not likely to happen. But...if it's more than the button pushing, stick moving around or whatever, I would definitely be impressed. I'm going to like the ride no matter what. I was super thrilled at the way they designed FOP. Because of the shape of the seats, like riding a motorcycle, I felt that when I leaned right or left, I was riding the banshee. Best ride ever, IMO.

I think you will fly the Falcon. They keep pushing that this is powered by those Nvidia chips and the video will be rendered in real time. That means that as you change the flight path, the video will reflect that. Now I think if there is a little kid up there just swinging it around, there will be some limitation. But for the most part, you will be flying it.

Old Mouseketeer

I think you will fly the Falcon. They keep pushing that this is powered by those Nvidia chips and the video will be rendered in real time. That means that as you change the flight path, the video will reflect that. Now I think if there is a little kid up there just swinging it around, there will be some limitation. But for the most part, you will be flying it.

Thanks for that. I really don't see what the argument is about. It has been established that it is interactive using game console technology in real time. We also have reports that you can't "crash" the Falcon, but you can run into things. There have to be rescue routines that kick in to loop you back into the story line and complete your minutes in the ride.

IMHO, this is what Disney has been aiming for ever since they introduced their seamless branching technology with Crush, Stitch, Mr. Potato Head, etc.

I think the takeaway from the Falcon ride won't be "I completely controlled the Falcon and made it crash". It will be more like "That was a cool ride--I can't believe I actually got to steer it and we even sent it into hyperspace!". IOW, the wow factor from just going on board the Falcon and sitting in the cockpit and getting to control it AT ALL will make for a great time. YMMV.

ThistleMae

Thanks for that. I really don't see what the argument is about. It has been established that it is interactive using game console technology in real time. We also have reports that you can't "crash" the Falcon, but you can run into things. There have to be rescue routines that kick in to loop you back into the story line and complete your minutes in the ride.

IMHO, this is what Disney has been aiming for ever since they introduced their seamless branching technology with Crush, Stitch, Mr. Potato Head, etc.

I think the takeaway from the Falcon ride won't be "I completely controlled the Falcon and made it crash". It will be more like "That was a cool ride--I can't believe I actually got to steer it and we even sent it into hyperspace!". IOW, the wow factor from just going on board the Falcon and sitting in the cockpit and getting to control it AT ALL will make for a great time. YMMV.
It isn't an argument, it's speculative based on what we've experienced thus far and factoring in all the "hype". I hope your right, that it will be the most interactive ride ever invented by Disney. I can't wait to see what people say after riding...I bet you'll get similar mixed reviews. We shall see.

bclane

It isn't an argument, it's speculative based on what we've experienced thus far and factoring in all the "hype". I hope your right, that it will be the most interactive ride ever invented by Disney. I can't wait to see what people say after riding...I bet you'll get similar mixed reviews. We shall see.
I think you're right. But then again, I think some people would be disappointed if they got to fly the actual really for real real life Millennium Falcon.

Snow Queen

I think there'll be a good amount of control, but I'm sure the ride will have some level of auto pilot to make sure it doesn't end early and isn't a complete disaster of an experience regularly. I can't recall the article now, but one of the articles had the interviewer ask I think it was Trowbridge if there were any references to L3-37, to which Trowbridge responded with something to the extent of "there will be some surprises." I'm expecting that unexpected surprise will be L3 essentially being the in-universe autopilot to keep the ride from being a horrible experience for all involved because that one guy just wants to try spinning over and over.

ThistleMae

I'm just hoping the ride isn't too super fast...sometimes you miss too much. Like the Harry Potter ride playing quidditch, it's so fast my eyes just blur up, and I can't see the details.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Anyone who has played the recent Star Wars Battle Pod arcade game can get a dose of what 'real time' but still 'stuck on rails' really means. You fly through entire space battles firing at ships and aiming and pointing.. but you don't actually control your course. It's like autopia... you get some degrees of latitude, but your actual course and path are fixed... stray off center too much and you get pushed back on course.

Consistency of delivering a fun experience trumps 'control'. I expect the ride will have elements where each role is intended to do their job.. and failure to do so would lead to cips or variances being inserted.. but it's not like they will cause the experience to die/fail.

The attraction also has to be designed assuming that some spaces would be empty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom