News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Skibum1970

A 3000 room moderate with a Star Wars bar and stormtroopers around the pool would have been FAR more lucrative and successful. So would more/better rides in the land…but I digress

A couple more things. One, it was always the same experience and didn't change much if at all. Also, if you were First Order, you could never win. So, the predictability was also bad. Then, I just don't see people believing that they are on an actual space cruise. Honestly, it would have fared better better as a day care facility.

JeffH

I hope they just convert it to a small (expensive) motel and add the Starcruiser to Galaxies Edge somehow. If they added busses to the other parks here that would be a convenient thing for motel and theme park guests, although there might not be enough use to justify it.

SteamboatJoe

I always thought they should create something that can easily adapt. Like a temporary themed hotel. Something they can switch out relatively easily. Star Wars/Marvel/Princess/Haunted Mansion/Pandora. Something different on a rotating schedule
For a company that is seemingly all about dollars and cents, the cost efficiency and flexibility of building something adaptable and sustainable for the long term appears to be a completely foreign concept to them.

Tay

Both Iger ideas btw
He is the poster child for the saying, being nice will take you a long way because his bad investments is what caused all of this but Disney fans acted like they won the power ball when it was announced he was coming back. The pandemic made things worse but they wouldn’t be this bad if he didn’t double down on NBA, ESPN, Fox, & a non profitable business in streaming before it.

I can’t help but feel like he purposely chose someone as unlikeable as Bob C as his replacement so he could take the brunt of all the cuts caused by his overspending, that the pandemic made things impossible to hide then once everything settled down he would come back as the hero and “fix” everything.

Bender123

I get the feeling that the internal financials of Disney are looking much wose than they are letting on...

The cancelled campus got cover from politics, but we know they can't justify it after the massive layoffs. This is just a total failure of everything that has been wrong with Disney over the past 15 years ..cheap quality, expensive nickle and dime costs, misguided assumption of universal love for "updated for modern audsiences" IP and lack of imagination.

Im hoping they learn something from this or Universal will be unstoppable when the new park opens.

Bender123

He is the poster child for the saying, being nice will take you a long way because his bad investments is what caused all of this but Disney fans acted like they won the power ball when it was announced he was coming back. The pandemic made things worse but they wouldn’t be this bad if he didn’t double down on NBA, ESPN, Fox, & a non profitable business in streaming before it.

I can’t help but feel like he purposely chose someone as unlikeable as Bob C as his replacement so he could take the brunt of all the cuts caused by his overspending, that the pandemic made things impossible to hide then once everything settled down he would come back as the hero and “fix” everything.
I have said it before and I'll say it again...Chapel didn't help matters, but the entire mess Disney is in rests on the back of Iger.

All the movie failures, park failures and costs came on the back of Iger. Genie+, Marvel Phase 4/5, Disney +, obsession with "new star wars" and soaring costs were all started on Igers watch and continues today. Iger wanted to be the next Eisner, he isn't an Eisner, he can't hold a candle to peak Disney Decade.

MagicHappens1971

Im hoping they learn something from this or Universal will be unstoppable when the new park opens.
Can't say that I agree with everything Disney is doing, but you said this:
misguided assumption of universal love for "updated for modern audsiences" IP and lack of imagination.
Universal is opening a new park with exclusively IP-themed lands. What would you like for them to learn? To continue to open IP based lands? That's what they're doing anyway.

Universal also won't be "unstoppable" for families with small children and many others, but this isn't the thread for that.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No

Universal is opening a new park with exclusively IP-themed lands. What would you like for them to learn? To continue to open IP based lands? That's what they're doing anyway.

Universal also won't be "unstoppable" for families with small children and many others, but this isn't the thread for that.
Considering they spelled "universal" and not "Universal", I assume they meant by "universal love for updated for modern audiences" as "worldwide love" and not referencing the theme park.

No Name

Maybe just turn it into a regular hotel with a Star Wars theme?

Guests already pay $300 a night for a “Moderate” Resort. $500 or more for a Deluxe.

You’d think there would be some way to salvage this.
I think it’s tough to make it a regular hotel when you’re not allowed to see the outside of your building, there’s no fitness center or swimming pool, and the rooms don’t have windows you can see out of. I don’t know how much it would cost to fix all of those things but I do agree it would be worth trying.

MagicHappens1971

Considering they spelled "universal" and not "Universal", I assume they meant by "universal love for updated for modern audiences" as "worldwide love" and not referencing the theme park.
They used Universal and universal, in the context I was discussing, was Universal as in Universal Orlando.

"Im hoping they learn something from this or Universal (Orlando) will be unstoppable when the new park opens"

misguided assumption of universal (the word) love for "updated for modern audsiences" IP and lack of imagination.

MagicHappens1971

I think it’s tough to make it a regular hotel when you’re not allowed to see the outside of your building, there’s no fitness center or swimming pool, and the rooms don’t have windows you can see out of. I don’t know how much it would cost to fix all of those things but I do agree it would be worth trying.
You wouldn't want to see outside of the windows anyway. Regardless, there's no window pane built into the room, it would be costly to do so. The only thing there is, is the emergency exit windows but those are built into a closet.

Bender123

No issue with IP...the problem Disney has is they just can't let the classics be classics. Inserting Depo into Pirates make the story of the ride make no sense. The obsession with "New Star Wars" while ignoring the classics. Sidelining classic Marvel characters for Marvel Disney era character. Hell...the main movie business is just remaking classic movies with modern changes.

It's fine to use your IP, but it feels like they are passing on nostalgic feelings that their own IPs create, just to try to force some weird new version on people. Universal with Mario and Harry Potter is almost a perfect display of make it fans...Star Cruiser felt like a cash grab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom