News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You would not expect to make back the development costs in one year. $173.4 million works out to be $600,000 per cruise and I can't imaging it's operating costs were anywhere near that.
Of course not…these things are financed out over years and usually decades…

So that kinda just puts a point on how bad the math was on this?

Pull the plug and “stop the bleeding” is what they did. From day 1 almost

_caleb

That's what I'm waiting for, too.

I totally accept that there is this small group of dozens, perhaps even a hundred or two people, who thought this was just the most amazing thing ever and think it was worth paying the price of a used car - many more than once! Genuinely glad for them, that's great.

Really, though, the best it is boiling down to "I've never roleplayed before and it was fun". Literally every inch of this stuff is documented, and I didn't need to be there to learn that roleplaying can be fun. Or that the cast members were great.

But the sets, the activities, everything else? We aren't missing it, because it's all been so fully documented. Which is why it failed so spectacularly once that curtain was pulled back and everyone else saw what it all is.
This is a Disney parks fan forum. I figured most of us were of the mind that an attraction typically depends on the suspension of disbelief and that many are able to rise above the sum total of its parts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He's referring to the ST vs. OT timeline
Close…

But I’m not gonna rant about OT…there are reasons (big money ones) to lean into that and plenty of reasons - Disney identified - not.

But there’s some middle ground…and Disney chose never to find it.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

He's referring to the ST vs. OT timeline
Thanks for explaining. I'm sure a good number of people were put off by the selected timeline, but I'm reasonably confident in saying that the Starcruiser would still have attracted enough guests (they never needed a huge number to fill each voyage) had they made the price point less astronomical.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a Disney parks fan forum. I figured most of us were of the mind that an attraction typically depends on the suspension of disbelief and that many are able to rise above the sum total of its parts.
For any other franchise - like avatar - I’m with you 100%

I feel like I should have spent - however - almost to the day…saying that Star Wars is different?

…oh wait…my bad…I did 🤐

LittleBuford

That's what I'm waiting for, too.

I totally accept that there is this small group of dozens, perhaps even a hundred or two people, who thought this was just the most amazing thing ever and think it was worth paying the price of a used car - many more than once! Genuinely glad for them, that's great.

Really, though, the best it is boiling down to "I've never roleplayed before and it was fun". Literally every inch of this stuff is documented, and I didn't need to be there to learn that roleplaying can be fun. Or that the cast members were great.

But the sets, the activities, everything else? We aren't missing it, because it's all been so fully documented. Which is why it failed so spectacularly once that curtain was pulled back and everyone else saw what it all is.
Had the experience really been as disappointing as you claim, we would surely have come across quite a few negative reviews from those who felt duped by the whole thing. I've yet to see such a review, and I don't believe any have been cited here, whether by you or others. I'm happy to be corrected if I stand mistaken.

Epcot81Fan

The thing is we have answered this question before. In this very thread. I caught pieces of this portion on one or two of my cruises but I was always involved in something else and couldn't stop. So I was a step behind on my first cruise when everyone ELSE at dinner knew what dance to do to distract the first order while we tried to sneak chewie out. It's meant to be easy and goofy and fun because everyone is supposed to be able to pop up and do it together.

It's a background activity. Like the recreation team at your resort. Are you really judging your entire stay at wilderness lodge over the arts and crafts they do in the afternoons?
So it is exactly as we see it. Thanks.

_caleb

Yes Disney is not big on risks. And I bet they didn't think this was all that much of a risk. Just based on how Disney has handled star wars, makes me think they thought this was going to be a surefire hit. We saw it with galaxy's edge and Igers comments about lines to the border with just an email. That's one of the big issues I've had with Disneys handling of the ip. It always feels like their thought process is, well as long as we slap the star wars logo on it, we're golden!
I'm not sure even Disney is this confident, but maybe.
Not necessarily. You stand at the entrance of galaxy's edge and ask people one question. "Did you participate in the galactic star cruiser experience this trip?" And if the answer is no, you ask do you have time for a brief survey? It's the exact demographic you want for the product you are offering. And it's also a very large base to survey from. A few weeks of surveys and you would most likely have a very large sample size.
Again, this is assuming that everyone who visits SW:GE is the "exact demographic" for the Starcruiser. I don't think that was ever the case. I think they were/are looking for a certain type of guest. I think they understand layered fandom and they're pushing the limits of how they might develop (and profit from) a unique sub-set.

BTW, Disney's been using this same language when talking about Disney+ content. They've begun to recognize that "Star Wars fans" isn't one single audience (not even generally), but rather a category of sub-audiences who think very differently, value different things, and express their fandom very differently.

_caleb

So it is exactly as we see it. Thanks.
Please try to engage in good faith. No need for snark, cynicism, or mockery, we're just discussing entertainment here!

As a Disney parks fan, I know a trip to WDW isn't everyone's cup of tea. I have very dear friends who have never been to any Disney parks who can't fathom going because they've seen photos of the crowds, they see the posted prices, and they compare these to their usual vacations to Aruba or whatever.

I'm always like, "You have to go to experience it first hand!"

And when they finally do go, and don't plan ahead and miss tons of what makes WDW awesome and overspend and hate the app, they come back and say, "See, I was right! Disney sucks."

And what do I say to that? "You should have let me come with. I would have helped make your trip awesome!"

Disney parks are FULL of things you've got to see past in order to fully appreciate.

erasure fan1

Again, this is assuming that everyone who visits SW:GE is the "exact demographic" for the Starcruiser.
But isn't that chasing a ghost? You will never have the exact demographic evey time. But if you are in Disney world, going to star wars land, there's a pretty good chance you might fall into that demo. And if not, you still get useful insight into why the regular people aren't interested. Win win in my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, that's probably a big part of the problem, right there.

They can easily pull in more than that per day (not every two) just in parking fees. In talking about operating costs, remember how they slow-walked the return of full tram service on that little goldmine.

Hard to see them being happy about having to pay equity actors for that kind of return.

There may have been some idea of high-end prestige around offering something more unique and specific at a higher price point to bring people to the resort/brand who are attracted to the idea of exclusivity but obviously, running non-stop burned through that crowd pretty quickly and once it got to be where bookings were not hard to get, those folks would have moved on as would any value this provided to the company/brand in that regard.

Maybe their mistake was building this with more than 50 rooms, and designing it to be scaled and staffed for that level, if that's the case.

I could very easily see current management not being interested in trying to find a way to make this work after the reality of the headaches of maintaining it became apparent.

Why bother?

What I have to wonder is, with that math, how did this ever get beyond the concept stage at a company like Disney?

I think this is perfect…cause you’re all over the place up top but the last sentence is dead on 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure even Disney is this confident, but maybe.

Again, this is assuming that everyone who visits SW:GE is the "exact demographic" for the Starcruiser. I don't think that was ever the case. I think they were/are looking for a certain type of guest. I think they understand layered fandom and they're pushing the limits of how they might develop (and profit from) a unique sub-set.

BTW, Disney's been using this same language when talking about Disney+ content. They've begun to recognize that "Star Wars fans" isn't one single audience (not even generally), but rather a category of sub-audiences who think very differently, value different things, and express their fandom very differently.

It’s not a 1:1…but if you can’t get Star Wars fans in a Disney park to buy the locked in Star Wars hotel…you’re dead in the water

Indy_UK

Star Wars fans may be willing to be tied into a 2 1/2 day experience but probably don’t want to pay the high price

Now Disney fans may have the money to pay the price (their trips are expensive anyway) but most likely don’t want to be tied into a 2 1/2 day experience.

AEfx

I can't believe you nerds spend 1000s of dollars on Disney Trips just to go on rides like this.

Actually fans go for rides like this:

...and like this:

See how easy that was? I could list dozens more, if it would help. You see, WDW is the most photographed/videotaped place on the planet, so it's super easy.

Now you try.

I just looked, and there are over 3/4 of a MILLION videos on YouTube covering every inch of this experience. Which is quite remarkable, considering how briefly it was open and how extremely low the capacity was. Surely it would only take seconds of your time to find the ones that show this spectacular Star Wars experience the rest of us are just missing.

_caleb

But isn't that chasing a ghost? You will never have the exact demographic evey time. But if you are in Disney world, going to star wars land, there's a pretty good chance you might fall into that demo. And if not, you still get useful insight into why the regular people aren't interested. Win win in my opinion.
Yeah, in some ways, it might be.

But Disney is really leaning into data. They know SO MUCH about us, from our family demographics, our spending habits, our viewing habits (D+/Hulu/ESPN/ABC), what appeals to us, and into what fandoms we can be sorted. It used to be hard to get this info. Now, it's easier than ever to get, but hard to interpret.

Disney's working to develop multi-tiered, multi-stream fandoms around its most valuable IPs. I think Disney has a pretty good evidence that this can/will be a huge sources of revenue (if they can just work out the details) because these kinds of fandoms multiply by reproducing themselves and creates content that trickles up to more casual fans.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Two facts about this concept can be true at the same time:

1) The LARP’ers enjoyed their LARP’ing

2) The rest of the 99.9999999% of the world has no interest in LARP’ing with them

3. People who wanted to go very, very much but it was too expensive.

4. People who had a mild interest, but didn't go because it was too expensive.

I would have loved to go, but it was too expensive. I would love to stay at deluxe Disney resorts and get VIP Tours, but that's also too expensive for me.

Disney doesn't pay me enough in shill money.

pdude81

To those who have taken the cruise, please let us know how you feel this video does not accurately capture this experience.

Had we actually been there, how exactly would this be better than it appears?

1698178079783.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom