News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ImperfectPixie

Ok, after 24 hours before making a post, I figured I'd add my two cents (as if anyone really cares :cool: ). HUGE Star Wars fan. I've been to a couple of the Star Wars Celebrations and love most things Star Wars. My first thought was OMG this is outrageous! Now my second thought...OMG it's still outrageous! The pricing model is similar to an actual cruise. Even as a huge fan, I'll be taking a hard pass on this. Too many other experiences and places to go within Disney or even on a real cruise where the value for the dollars is much better.
Don't most actual cruises include booze, too? (I could swear I hear my MIL say that...she cruises often, but not DCL.)

GimpYancIent

Ok, after 24 hours before making a post, I figured I'd add my two cents (as if anyone really cares :cool: ). HUGE Star Wars fan. I've been to a couple of the Star Wars Celebrations and love most things Star Wars. My first thought was OMG this is outrageous! Now my second thought...OMG it's still outrageous! The pricing model is similar to an actual cruise. Even as a huge fan, I'll be taking a hard pass on this. Too many other experiences and places to go within Disney or even on a real cruise where the value for the dollars is much better.
Yes! All the dissecting of the experience and all the analysis of the experience is great for discussions but the bottom line issue is the cost for this experience. The price point, the amount of Imperial Credits i.e. $$$$$$$$ that must be forked over to partake of this experience is exorbitant, high, simply put more than the perceived value.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is the main reason I have a hard time judging if the price is fair or not, there is just nothing to compare it to. Yes, people can debate whether they would be willing to pay for it or not, but it's hard to say if the price is fair for what you are getting.

Like most things - its hard for people to interpret when it's something new and they are only going on limited information. Everyone will have to decide what things they like to do and if this kind of experience is for them.

As to the price... I mean come on.. we're on Disney site talking about Star Wars. Two things that both automatically infer 'more expensive'. And like I said before, people are burning money left and right on their avg 5-10k Disney vacations they are taking annually or close to that. It's been said from the start that this was sampled as deluxe and above... I think people have just been living in denial and now have reality smacking them in the face.

People only seem to be able to absorb what they are familiar with. Wait until people see the price swings on the dates on these rooms. Cruises can double and nearly triple in cost just based on dates alone. I only cruise at a set time of the year pretty much for this reason alone... yet obviously the boat still fills up at those 10k+ price points... even if I would never pay it.

MrPromey

So in short - really nothing to do with Starcruiser - nor it's price point - but rather grumpy that Disney is doing X when you think they should be doing Y.

But yet people spin up ways to harp on X... because it's not Y.

You're really going to make me do this, aren't you?

Fine:

Umm... right - which is why I said it wasn't a good comparison when you - not me - tried to make one there.

Did you get good sleep last night? 🤨

And no, my argument about building resorts/dvc over park expansion (which again has nothing to do with the starcruiser or anything else in this thread) is NOT about them doing x when I think they should be doing y.

Quit trying to reword what I say to match what you're trying to make me say.

What I am saying is that I'm grumpy about them doing just x when I think they should be doing y to accommodate x.

I'm saying they want x but don't have enough y to support more x but they're going for more x anyway.

I hate algebra so let me make my point with a long and winding story:

Lets say you live in a small town that has a two lane highway passing through it that is the only way in or out. It works fine but when there's an accident which is seldom, there are always problems since there is only one lane going in each direction.

It works but there are already some minor problems with this arrangement. (head's up - this is foreshadowing)

One day, a developer comes in and starts knocking down single-family homes to build 6 story tall condos and apartments and those start filling up.

Suddenly, your sleepy little town of 6,000 residents climbs to 12,000 and all of those people are trying to use that two lane highway to commute to their jobs every day at just about the exact same time.

Incidents of road rage go up.

There are a few notable deaths as some people attempt to swerve into the oncoming traffic lane to pass unsafely even though the divider lines are solid, resulting in head-on collisions and fiery balls of carnage.

People start using drugs to compensate for their stress.

As a result of the drug use, people start losing their jobs and have to resort to prostitution to support their addictions.

For a very short period, this solves the traffic problem as many people are now "working from home".

.. BUT, this once sleepy little town soon becomes known as prostitution-central of the heartland.

Suddenly even more people are driving down that two lane road than ever before to get to that town because, you know, in modern life, the world is a lonely place.

(I'm not judging and neither should you.)

All those extra people coming to this town that don't even live there results in cars backed up for hours on that two lane road with people just looking for some lovin'. This causes extra emissions to enter the atmosphere which accelerates global warming.

Penguins and polar bears start dying.

You should care about the penguins but not the polar bears.

Polar bears are jerks.

They had it coming.

Anyway, ice caps start shrinking, Florida goes underwater and Walt Disney World closes forever - all because those towers went up in a place that couldn't handle that much traffic.

Now look, I'm not trying to say they should have expanded that road instead of building the condos and apartments.

People need places to sleep and poop and it isn't like the global population is shrinking.

I mean, it might have been nice to have the extra roadway without other development but the existing people were making do, for the most part.

I'm just saying that if they were going to build those condos and apartments, they should have thought about expanding that road before ruining the lives of everyone in the town, damming all life on earth to a literal inferno of hell and worst of all, making WDW close.

~ fin ~

Afterword:
Just to be clear, in my fable, the road represents attraction capacity and the extra buildings going up represent the extra resort buildings at WDW.

I know that might seem a little confusing because Disney's never had an issue with using tax exempt bonds to pay for road infrastructure but I think the comparison is about as clear as the starcruiser (only 100 rooms) is to DVC so it feels fitting. 💩

Also, humanity was ultimately doomed, anyway. We were never going to master interstellar space travel before our sun expanded to absorb all the planets flying around it in this solar system.

Focusing on the fate of one small town or one theme park on a tiny speck of dust zipping through the cosmos was probably pointless to begin with.

The universe, after all, is indifferent.🤷‍♂️

... You know, on reflection, maybe I'm actually the one who needs sleep.

Last edited:

fngoofy

I agree with you 100%
What would you pay for this experience? I'm thinking that for our family of 3 we'd pay $1,500 total for the experience.
That's $250/day/person.
Since the point of our WDW vacations is adventure, food, & fun, this tics off only a couple of those well.
Only 2 rides in 2 days at WDW? That's a "no thanks".

This appears to be a 44hr COS play, which if that is your thing, have at it.
Galaxy's Edge would have to have 6 rides and the loosely planned interactivity would have to be a lot closer to West World than what I am seeing here. Somebody hands me a blaster and lets me take out a bounty hunter by shooting first... now you have my attention. I might go as high as $300/day/person, but no higher.

But then again, I feel the $700/night Poly price point is ridiculous as well.

AEfx

I did a poll back in March about this. 46% of the people said they either never use a pool or use it only once per trip, so no pool isn't probably not a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Keep in mind, though, the audience here is not representative of the average public.

The reason so many more mainstream publications are pointing out the lack of a pool is because to "normies", the idea of going to a hotel in Florida and not having a pool available is wacky.

rreading

This has the potential to crash and burn and become a legendary disaster that will be known in the business world for decades. I’m not predicting anything, it could very well be successful, but it’s looking like it has all the makings of a potential train wreck.

Realistically, there are two issues: one was always going to to be the steep price. We knew it would be high. It is.

The second, more important, issue will be execution: if the reviews are going to be akin to early reviews of SW:GE then it's in a heap of trouble; but if the ongoing reviews say that it's amazing then I'll probably sign up.

ThatMouse

I'm concerned the bloggers and travel agents are going to be pushing this on people who aren't smart with their money. This should not be a consideration for most people. I would love to see people like Timtracker just say no they aren't going, it's too much. It's cool, but sorry it's out of our budget.

Wendy Pleakley

This isn't an attraction - It's not even in the theme park. It's an experience. Just like Disney does other experiences like Adventures by Disney... Disney Cruise Lines... and more.

Why are people so hung up on trying to make it into what they do at WDW today... a hotel+theme park touring. The whole point is it is something different then just a 15min attraction that you experience and then leave.

The difference is those experiences are not within the WDW bubble. I can't think of anything directly within the WDW complex with this much of a barrier to entry.

They're certainly promoting it a lot already. How many kids will see this, and their parents will have to tell them no, we can't do that?

There are other things with an extra fee attached, like seeing Halloween fireworks. With those however, if someone can afford to go to WDW they can probably find a way to pay for a Halloween party.

This is different and I'm curious to see what kind of reactions it garners. Beyond the typical reaction of "I'm angry at this, Disney has gone too far this time, and I'm booking my next trip anyway".

Bleed0range

I'm concerned the bloggers and travel agents are going to be pushing this on people who aren't smart with their money. This should not be a consideration for most people. I would love to see people like Timtracker just say no they aren't going, it's too much. It's cool, but sorry it's out of our budget.

Yeah but it probably isn’t out of his budget.

Wendy Pleakley

No - most sell 'drink packages' where you can prepaid to get all you can drink.

Disney set the bar when they gave away sodas for free - the industry standard before that was soda was a paid item.

I've seen many cruises where they offer a choice of something to be included "for free" as well, so it's not uncommon to buy a cruise and get the drink package thrown in "for free".

Which is, of course, largely a marketing strategy to make people think they're getting a special deal. Much like people go nuts for the free Disney Dining Plan and not paying attention to the real value of the deal, given they're now paying rack rates.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The difference is those experiences are not within the WDW bubble.

Why does that matter? People are not going to see this walking around Main Street, riding the monorail, etc.

I can't think of anything directly within the WDW complex with this much of a barrier to entry.

By pure absolute costs? Ok, but how many other things are touted around that someone's kids have to pass by that they will never get to do either?

VIP tours...
Boat rentals...
Dining at the castle...
Dive in the living seas...
etc etc etc

The sum of this is while it's at WDW - so is ALOT OF STUFF people never do.

They're certainly promoting it a lot already. How many kids will see this, and their parents will have to tell them no, we can't do that?

You mean like the people that watch the Top 10s or whatever else is on Resort TV and don't do because of whatever reason in their life? Don't do water parks, don't do desert parties, don't do the dinner shows, don't etc etc etc. This issue is as old as time.

This is different and I'm curious to see what kind of reactions it garners. Beyond the typical reaction of "I'm angry at this, Disney has gone too far this time, and I'm booking my next trip anyway".

It's really only different in scale of cost. Be it tours, VIP, dining, shows, private rentals, etc there is plenty of Disney offerings that people face "we won't get that opportunity..." and have marched onward.

DisneyJoe

The difference is those experiences are not within the WDW bubble. I can't think of anything directly within the WDW complex with this much of a barrier to entry.

There are other things with an extra fee attached, like seeing Halloween fireworks. With those however, if someone can afford to go to WDW they can probably find a way to pay for a Halloween party.

I really don't believe this is targeted to kids - look at the sample commercial spot- adult male, he receives the "mission" and he tells his wife and kid what they are going to do.

I believe the target audience are adult males / females / couples who go to Comic Con, Star Wars events, have shelves/closets/rooms of collectibles. They spend thousands per year on that stuff already, they won't blink at this.

AEfx

I really don't believe this is targeted to kids - look at the sample commercial spot- adult male, he receives the "mission" and he tells his wife and kid what they are going to do.

I believe the target audience are adult males / females / couples who go to Comic Con, Star Wars events, have shelves/closets/rooms of collectibles. They spend thousands per year on that stuff already, they won't blink at this.

Well, the activities on the list certainly seem largely kid-oriented. Arts and crafts, card games, etc. make up a big chunk of the agenda.

In any case, though, if you read back through the last few days of posts - you will see quite a number of those folks you are talking about (including myself) - some of whom have even posted pictures of their Star Wars themed rooms - who aren't enthused at all about this, either due to the price, the focus on the Sequel trilogy, or what seemingly is a rather lackluster itinerary (and combinations of the above).

I don't spend much time on social media, but I do check out some Star Wars-related places, and glancing over them today - I'm seeing the same thing posted over and over from the very crowd you are talking about. "Hard pass..."

The most disappointment I see, though, isn't even the price - though that certainly does further hamper every thing - but from folks like myself that wouldn't have been able to jump on this out of the gate, but kind of hoped it would look really good and be an aspirational thing - save up for a few years to do as a special treat, etc. It just isn't nearly that appealing.

I am absolutely sure at least at first, this thing is going to be booked to all heck. But the reaction I see here, and mirrored elsewhere, is that basically the audience for this isn't even major Star Wars fans - but more people who have excess money to spend and will be signing up for it because it's the new cool, boutique thing at WDW.

ImperfectPixie

They do...I know a bunch. One of whom made a Davey Jones mask that would make WDI do a double-take...and it moves. (That's not an exaggeration...I couldn't believe it wasn't a mask from filming POTC.)

Not a single one of the people I know that are into Star Wars in that big of a way would ever do this. They'd rather go on a cheaper LARP trip and invest the difference in their costumes/gear/collectibles.

ImperfectPixie

They do...I know a bunch. One of whom made a Davey Jones mask that would make WDI do a double-take...and it moves. (That's not an exaggeration...I couldn't believe it wasn't a mask from filming POTC.)

Not a single one of the people I know that are into Star Wars in that big of a way would ever do this. They'd rather go on a cheaper LARP trip and invest the difference in their costumes/gear/collectibles.
To expand on this...if they were getting some insanely exclusive gear to bring home as part of the price, they might consider it...but it would have to be much more than a tape-measure-style lightsaber that lights up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom