News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ArtieJim

Just to make sure I have this correct, there are no actual windows in this hotel? So every "window" you look out is just a screen? No natural light at all?

Sped2424

Just to make sure I have this correct, there are no actual windows in this hotel? So every "window" you look out is just a screen? No natural light at all?
Yes. The idea is you're in space on some sort of station. Natural light would defeat that illusion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder how Disney will handle doors in this hotel... Most sci-fi movies/shows have the doors that slide to open. That would be very expensive to implement in a hotel. But... wow! If they are able to do this...

Pocket doors are cheap.
Sliding glass doors are used in every shopping center/grocery store around you... they aren't that expensive :) but doing it on every guest room door would probably be problematic for several reasons.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Standard pocket doors are not secure, so they would not work for the main entry doors. And, even if standard pocket doors were used for interiors (closet, bathroom, etc.), the cost of adding the hydraulics to make them open/close like you see on TV/Movies would get very expensive.

Pocket doors can be just as secure as normal doors. You can also counterweight doors so they require almost no effort to move. You said doors that slide :) As I said, the problem is about doing it everywhere.. and really the problem compounds as you add automation anywhere.. as automation requires all the extra safeties/monitoring.

I want the interweaving blast door design myself :)

Dunston

Super cool, and super expensivee, I'd imagine. By the time this is finished with all of it's construction and the initial surge of insurmountable crowds is gone I'll probably have kids of my own to take there, if I'm still alive by then.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Here is a question for you all...

If the resort is completely immersive, is there TV available? Turn on CNN or Disney Channel back down on earth? I’ll make a prediction that if there was a TV in the room it would be the same screen “window” that you see outside to space. Just a therory but very space like to turn the wall into a tv.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If the resort is completely immersive, is there TV available? Turn on CNN or Disney Channel back down on earth? I’ll make a prediction that if there was a TV in the room it would be the same screen “window” that you see outside to space. Just a therory but very space like to turn the wall into a tv.

I think this is one of the challenges of any type of immersive environment, how far do you take it?

flynnibus

Premium Member

simple solution is TV with fixed content... or just have 'satellite TV' :)

Nubs70

Pocket doors can be just as secure as normal doors. You can also counterweight doors so they require almost no effort to move. You said doors that slide :) As I said, the problem is about doing it everywhere.. and really the problem compounds as you add automation anywhere.. as automation requires all the extra safeties/monitoring.

I want the interweaving blast door design myself :)
Local Fire Marshall is more powerful than Snoke

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom