News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

corran horn

A poly bungalow ranges $3000 a night at its cheapest and up to $5200 a night at its highest. That’s just for a room with no extra experiences or meals or anything. If Star Wars is $3000 a night and you get food, shows, special experiences and exclusive time in Galaxys Edge, that’s a pretty good deal compared to a bungalow.
The bungalow is priced that way for its location and views. The SW hotel...isn't.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The bungalow is priced that way for its location and views. The SW hotel...isn't.

And its amenities. Deluxe hotels are expected to have larger rooms, better beds, better theming, spas and gyms, unique pools, several dining options usually including a signature restaurant, upscale shops, 24 hour room service, etc... (and some of those you pay extra for).

kingdead

I'd say the bungalow is also overpriced, but it's a location that would appeal to most people. The only thing that keeps people out is the price, not a certain aspect of the experience that they're not into.

With the Star Wars hotel they're banking that there are enough people who are bungalow-level rich AND Star Wars fans to keep the place a going concern. THEN they have to provide a level of entertainment that will get positive word of mouth from those fans, which is no guarantee. They're going to have to keep the tech functioning at all times and provide actual acting talent (no dressing up the cashiers).

The bungalow, on the other hand, basically needs to be maintained.

I think that 1. the pool of "nerd money" that Disney was trying to tap with this hotel has drastically shrunk with COVID and will continue to shrink and 2. the remaining customers have lots of options for entertainment and may not be satisfied with the experience that Disney is currently able to provide. It's not a total disaster, they can always just have a Star Wars themed hotel at a normal (for Disney) price, but the current concept isn't going to work.

Heppenheimer

I'd say the bungalow is also overpriced, but it's a location that would appeal to most people. The only thing that keeps people out is the price, not a certain aspect of the experience that they're not into.

With the Star Wars hotel they're banking that there are enough people who are bungalow-level rich AND Star Wars fans to keep the place a going concern. THEN they have to provide a level of entertainment that will get positive word of mouth from those fans, which is no guarantee. They're going to have to keep the tech functioning at all times and provide actual acting talent (no dressing up the cashiers).

The bungalow, on the other hand, basically needs to be maintained.

I think that 1. the pool of "nerd money" that Disney was trying to tap with this hotel has drastically shrunk with COVID and will continue to shrink and 2. the remaining customers have lots of options for entertainment and may not be satisfied with the experience that Disney is currently able to provide. It's not a total disaster, they can always just have a Star Wars themed hotel at a normal (for Disney) price, but the current concept isn't going to work.
Also, my perceptions from the sort of hard-core Star Wars fans that would have been willing to shell out money for this expensive cosplay is that after the sequel trilogies and Galaxy's Edge, they don't exactly trust Disney anymore to deliver the Star Wars experience that they desire.

nickys

Premium Member
Another problem DH has just mentioned when I told him things were continuing. Several groups had formed on an online forum who were planning to go at the same time. But members are from all over the world so their plans to book for as soon as they could, even vying to be amongst the first “passengers”, are now on hold. They won’t be booking until all travel restrictions are lifted and they can be fairly sure everyone can make it.

corran horn

It's not a total disaster, they can always just have a Star Wars themed hotel at a normal (for Disney) price, but the current concept isn't going to work.

Well it's nice to know this hotel and experience that isn't even opened yet and no one has ever experienced isn't a 'total disaster'.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Another problem DH has just mentioned when I told him things were continuing. Several groups had formed on an online forum who were planning to go at the same time. But members are from all over the world so their plans to book for as soon as they could, even vying to be amongst the first “passengers”, are now on hold. They won’t be booking until all travel restrictions are lifted and they can be fairly sure everyone can make it.

This is still far off. Whatever date it was supposed to open in 2021, it's now at least 5 months later according to an insider, and even then, probably won't open until a vaccine is available to most of the general public (likely by Summer 2021).

So, travel restrictions will be over by then.

_caleb

i think i posted prob 10 of them :)
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 4.31.13 PM.png

mmascari

This is still far off. Whatever date it was supposed to open in 2021, it's now at least 5 months later according to an insider, and even then, probably won't open until a vaccine is available to most of the general public (likely by Summer 2021).

I assume most of the interaction involves indoors, relatively close contact, lacking most social distancing.

If I was betting, they're going to complete work enough to be able to put things on hold easily. I think the biggest question they have to debate is how much is needed to shutdown nicely vs how much more is needed to get from shutdown to open and active. Betting again they pick a target number of months from "shutdown to active" and do all the work to get it to that point, somewhere beyond just getting to a hold state.

I don't think they'll open up until we're back to "normal" with no COVID restrictions. But, they probably want to get there close to that.

Or, maybe they're redoing all the ventilation in the place with better scrubbing and fresh air mixing. It's a spaceship after all, lots of recirculated air.

_caleb

I assume most of the interaction involves indoors, relatively close contact, lacking most social distancing.

If I was betting, they're going to complete work enough to be able to put things on hold easily. I think the biggest question they have to debate is how much is needed to shutdown nicely vs how much more is needed to get from shutdown to open and active. Betting again they pick a target number of months from "shutdown to active" and do all the work to get it to that point, somewhere beyond just getting to a hold state.

I don't think they'll open up until we're back to "normal" with no COVID restrictions. But, they probably want to get there close to that.

Or, maybe they're redoing all the ventilation in the place with better scrubbing and fresh air mixing. It's a spaceship after all, lots of recirculated air.
"Welcome aboard the Halcyon!"
Breathmask_negwt.jpg

kingdead

Also, my perceptions from the sort of hard-core Star Wars fans that would have been willing to shell out money for this expensive cosplay is that after the sequel trilogies and Galaxy's Edge, they don't exactly trust Disney anymore to deliver the Star Wars experience that they desire.
Yeah, unfortunately there's a lot of crossover between the kind of person who would stay in a Star Wars Experience Hotel and the kind of person who would nitpick the hell out of a Star Wars Experience Hotel. "I paid $3,000 and Boba Fett's armor was on the wrong way at my Cantina breakfast!" There's not a lot of room for childlike joy, is there?

(Anecdotally, a lot of the Star Wars audience was middle aged men, and after the sequels came out they finally "grew out of it;" the sequels didn't pull a younger audience in the same way, so there's not a second group of new fans incoming. I'm a little surprised they haven't done anything with the prequels, though--the people who came into Star Wars from those movies are just of the age to have young kids themselves, and one or two of them must have some disposable income...)

GimpYancIent

It seems unlikely they'll need to lower prices or change category. Even if Star Wars fandom has died down some, the extremely limited number of rooms should keep this resort booked easily.
The possible pricing that has been projected to the public appears to be unique to this one of a kind hotel. It is a live in multi-day experience in a (for lack of a better reference) hotel. I do not see it as comparable to the other classes of hotels at WDW.

corran horn

(Anecdotally, a lot of the Star Wars audience was middle aged men, and after the sequels came out they finally "grew out of it;" the sequels didn't pull a younger audience in the same way, so there's not a second group of new fans incoming. I'm a little surprised they haven't done anything with the prequels, though--the people who came into Star Wars from those movies are just of the age to have young kids themselves, and one or two of them must have some disposable income...)

Leaving aside plenty of younger kids like the sequels, as you said many fans grew up loving the prequels (another group that older OT fans assume doesn't exist) and they've got money and will have kids too.

Think it's kinda funny that for at the longest time you had to fight for a spot to pay $200 to build your own lightsaber but yeah, nobody's gonna go to this hotel.

nickys

Premium Member

As I said, these groups are from all over the world.

The US may be planning to have rolled out vaccinations to everyone by next summer and travel restrictions lifted. You may even be letting people across your borders by then. I think even that is a wildly optimistic expectation.

I doubt the same will be the case elsewhere. Europe certainly isn’t planning or expecting to be starting vaccinating widely until well into 2021. The U.K. has been warned to expect the new restrictions for 6 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom