News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Ravenclaw78

I think it's fairly common nowadays in most "geeky" fandoms, especially this decade. It's present in Star Trek (they kind of invented it), Doctor Who, Comics, a lot of tv shows with devoted fanbases, even Disney (dare I say).

Well, that's a topic for another day, but returning to the topic of the hotel, I think you repeat many of the assumptions that predicted SWL to be an overwhelming success. "There's so many fans that will flock to this place no matter what, it cant fail". I would hope that is exactly the kind of thinking the execs are avoiding and not just leaning on the popularity of Star Wars.
I'm probably not very "plugged in" to current fandoms, but sadly, your observation does not surprise me. :(

Anecdotally, as a former LARPer myself with lots of friends and acquaintances that still LARP and frequently travel hundreds of miles to play in their favorites, I know a lot of people who are already planning to book this experience. I think you're right that if they screw it up, they'll find it empty very quickly, though. Word of mouth travels fast. @ImperfectPixie is also right that many will want to bring their own costumes, so I'm hoping that the provided costume pieces are optional. I do expect that the 501st will have to leave their stormtrooper gear at home regardless, as that doesn't fit in with the theme of being a civilian passenger vessel.

The_Jobu

I do expect that the 501st will have to leave their stormtrooper gear at home regardless, as that doesn't fit in with the theme of being a civilian passenger vessel.

Yeah I dont see anyway guests can come with their own characters other than civilians. Having official and unofficial stormtroopers does sound like hilarious chaos though.

Thelazer

I give it a year to work thru the die-hard larp's bookings.. and then it quietly closes.
The staffing level's and equity costs alone are going to be the first cuts..

Bastet

Perhaps the reason the die hard fans are not flocking to to Galaxys Edge is the fact that they are not allowed (with good reason) to dress up and 'play' there. Would be a possible after hours option.

Ravenclaw78

“Galactic Civil War After Dark”. Wear whatever cosplay you want. Vader and Boba Fett walking around. Oga plays that one song on repeat. No timeline restrictions. Blaring SW music. Jedi training academy happens on the tie fighter stage.
You say this like it's a bad idea. :p

JLipnick

Perhaps the reason the die hard fans are not flocking to to Galaxys Edge is the fact that they are not allowed (with good reason) to dress up and 'play' there. Would be a possible after hours option.
as a die hard star wars fan, it is not possible for me to get down there for GE until our planned trip in November. I just missed the opening when I was there in August. I am hoping, no I am praying there will be soft openings for RotR thanksgiving week with it opening the next week. But, if not, I will be there in Jan for a few days and then again in March. I plan to spend a LOT of time in the land just taking in all the details! Cannot wait!

Texas84

“Galactic Civil War After Dark”. Wear whatever cosplay you want. Vader and Boba Fett walking around. Oga plays that one song on repeat. No timeline restrictions. Blaring SW music. Jedi training academy happens on the tie fighter stage.
And Hyperspace Hoopla, and Jedi Mickey, and Darth Goofy, and...

mdcpr

Went to family Space Camp this summer in Huntsville. We spent around $1400 for our family of four for 3 days/2 nights. Got to go on missions, make rockets, meet real astronauts, and sleep in a "space pod." A fun way to immerse the family in space and science without a $7000 price tag.
I did not know about family Space Camp—I’ll check it out!

doctornick

Is there any particular reason why the couldn't make the hotel have an OT setting to try to placate the fans who are upset about that being missing from the land? Especially since those OT die hards are (perhaps) more likely to be the middle aged folks with disposable income and interest to actually go to this hotel/experience. Yes, there would be some incongruity with visiting Batuu but doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal depending on how the story and interaction in the hotel is supposed to work with when you are actually visiting the land.

Anyway, should be something that could be easily done if desired.

SWGalaxysEdge

Is there any particular reason why the couldn't make the hotel have an OT setting to try to placate the fans who are upset about that being missing from the land? Especially since those OT die hards are (perhaps) more likely to be the middle aged folks with disposable income and interest to actually go to this hotel/experience. Yes, there would be some incongruity with visiting Batuu but doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal depending on how the story and interaction in the hotel is supposed to work with when you are actually visiting the land.

Anyway, should be something that could be easily done if desired.

..because it is set in the same time frame as Batuu - between EP8/9

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom