1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by RMichael21, Dec 30, 2016.

1. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

The opening crawl was edited to read "Episode IV: A New Hope" well before the Special Editions or any VHS releases. The Empire Strikes Back has always been Episode V and Star Wars was edited to reflect that decision in theatrical re-releases.

doctornick and Jahona like this.
  2. Jahona

Jahona Well-Known Member

Know this, I did not. Learn something new, I did.

fractal and lazyboy97o like this.
  3. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

I can confirm. I have a framed original hanging in my living room.

Sped2424, fractal and prberk like this.
  4. prberk

prberk Well-Known Member

I actually had started to state that about Revenge as fact, but I backpedaled a little before clicking "Post Reply" in case my memory was making rumor into fact. Glad to see my memory was right! I know it was a big conversation piece back then for my high school self. Would a Jedi actually seek revenge? Or if he fought would he call it revenge? He would protect and defend, and restore balance... but revenge was too far... or was it? That debate was right up there with whether or not Han shot first. LOL.

And you all are right about the numbering. It was there from the time that Star Wars was re-released the first time (about 1978) in the crawl, but not in the main advertising, even for the VHS and even DVDs. Mostly they advertised them as Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. They connected the latter two to the series in posters and video boxes by wrapping the Star Wars logo around the main title, but the number only appeared in the crawl.

The prequels changed all of that, of course, but mostly I think it was because there were beginning to be so many of them, and they wanted to connect them more concretely to the "Star Wars" franchise. (Yes, by then it was more of a marketing "franchise" driving these decisions than an organic connection; but that is a discussion for another day.)

I can see the generational change, though, and the effect of the marketing through the years. The younger generations I find now quick to use the numbers, even for the original trilogy, much more than people before them. For nearly thirty years I did not know ANYONE who would have referred to the original trilogy films by their number; but I find young people now calling them "Episode IV" or "V" or "VI" . And I definitely hear "A New Hope" now, where I never used to.

The craziest thing is that in December a late 20-something friend actually ARGUED with me about the original. She argued that it was Episode IV: A New Hope from the very beginning. I had kept calling it "the original Star Wars," and she asked me if I meant A New Hope, and I said, "Yes, but it wasn't originally called that," and she proceeded to argue with me that it was. I had to explain to her that I was there, and it wasn't until later that next year.... Funny.

fractal likes this.
  5. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Not as bad as people who told me I didn't understand Roman numerals; that IV is 1, V is 2 and VI is 3, because it would be stupid to start a movie series at four.

6. fractal

fractal Premium Member

now that's funny!

7. prberk

prberk Well-Known Member

Sadly, I can believe it.

If you really want to confuse them, write it in cursive!!

I find it amazing how many students today simply cannot read what I grew up calling, "writing." (Cursive was "writing," and printing was just that: "printing.")

But back to SW: I remember many people thinking how cool it was that they now said SW was actually Episode IV of a nine-episode set of three trilogies.

By the way, another thing that I think has gotten lost in later years is the concept that it was supposed to be a swashbuckling homage to the over-the-top adventure-packed sci-fi shorts of George Lucas' childhood at the movies. To some extent I think that is what started to get lost, possibly even to George, when he made the prequels and made them so much more serious than the tone of the original trilogy. I think people today have gotten so caught up in analyzing the "Star Wars universe" and "canon" that it has totally taken away some of the popcorn-and-heroes, swashbuckling tone of the original that paid homage (like Raiders also) to the '30s sci-fi adventures. (Look at the original poster art and at the scene of Luke carrying Leia across on a rope swing.) Some fun still exists, but I just think younger generations may not realize that the fun and adventure was over the top on purpose.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

I have to share my excitement.. our R2D2 is FINALLY working again!!!!! It hasn't moved in about a year, we thought it was done forever..all of the sudden, it works!!!
    IMG_1350.PNG

Princess Leia, phruby and Jahona like this.
  9. fractal

fractal Premium Member

Talk about realism!

RandomPrincess likes this.
  10. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Did you buy a BB-8 and have him give you the missing map piece? That is probably why R2 decided to wake up.

11. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that he'd be in flashbacks. There's a lot of material to uncover (Ben Solo's fall, Rey's parentage, the demise of Luke's younglings and padawans).

12. ElreTigo

ElreTigo Well-Known Member

Now if only they could give us a trailer sometime soon. Bring on April!!! :D:D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Flippin'Flounder likes this.
  13. Master Yoda

14. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

Rey's got a new hairstyle.

15. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Premium Member

My daughter (7) calls cursive "Fancy". She came up to me one day and said "Look! I can read Fancy!" There was a diary page in the book she was reading written in cursive. Many schools no longer teach cursive at all. When I was in elementary school (mid/late 80s) we were only required to use it for one year. The year we learned it. They next year were were told we could write in cursive or print which ever we were most comfortable with. Most of us went back to printing.

prberk likes this.
  16. tribbleorlfl

tribbleorlfl Well-Known Member

Trailer will debut at the EP VIII panel at Celebration (I believe it will be on the Friday).

Princess Leia likes this.
  17. Master Yoda

I know where I will be that day.:D

Jahona likes this.
  18. prberk

prberk Well-Known Member

I would love to see a picture of said original poster art.

19. Master Yoda

I will take one and post it when I get home tonight.

prberk likes this.
  20. prberk

prberk Well-Known Member

I clicked "like" on this because I wanted to acknowledge that I appreciated your story, but if "sad" were an option here I would have picked that. I think it is sad that so many students are not taught to write these days. When done regularly, not only is it "fancy" looking, but it is also faster than printing -- which, I think, is more likely the reason that it came into existence in the first place. But along the way it became something ("handwriting") that could be identified stylistically with a person.

(For those who might not know, "writing" traditionally refers to "cursive" as opposed to "printing." Something tells me that many young people will not have been taught that distinction either... Sigh.)

Back your regularly scheduled programming...