Star Wars Disney Run ?

jediyves

Original Poster
I've been eyeballing this event for quite some time now.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/events-tours/star-wars-half-marathon/

So I race stair climbing in my Sandtrooper armour with the 501st Legion. I can hike and run up 50 floors with the armour in 8 minutes. I have ran the local Children's Hospital 5K charity run in armour, and 15K with no armour. I also go trail running locally here in the mountains.

My understanding is racers are not allowed to wear full authentic costumes, but they are allowed to wear a Star Wars-esque or Star Wars like attire.

I know running long distance is a bit different than acceding hills and stairs for a short period of time. I'm hoping I will be in top performance to do the half marathon and 10K run one of these days.

What's it like to do the Star Wars Run?
What makes the run unique and different from other race events ?
Do you actually get time to explore and enjoy the parks after the race ?

Yes, this is me racing up 48 floors in Vancouver, BC
16799335546_80cf829848_c.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
1. Fun. Great vibe. Amazing medals.
2. Lots of SW fans. People dressed up as Stormtroopers, Vader, Leia, Rey, 3CPO, etc. But you are correct, no full costumes. Fun race, lots of SW characters along the course, music, etc.
3. Yes, plenty of time. runDisney requires a maximum 16 minute mile pace. Race starts at 5:30 am, with each corral starting with mini waves. All runners should start by 6:30 AM and should be finished by 10AM. So plenty of time to go back to your hotel, eat, clean up and hit the parks.

Here's a picture I took 2 years ago of a group dressed up as TIE fighters.

20170422_040359.jpg

HiJe

I'm signed up for this. My first 10k ever and still very nervous about not making the 16 min. limit. Does anyone know how many people get swept up before finishing? A lot? A little? Only extreme cases? I should be ok (currently running 12 min/mile, but only for 3 miles), but the anxiety of it all consumes my thinking.

RunningKoen

I'm signed up for this. My first 10k ever and still very nervous about not making the 16 min. limit. Does anyone know how many people get swept up before finishing? A lot? A little? Only extreme cases? I should be ok (currently running 12 min/mile, but only for 3 miles), but the anxiety of it all consumes my thinking.

If you can do 3 miles with 12/min a mile, you have a buffer and can finish with 20 min/mile. Must be possible?

Swissmiss

Premium Member

You still have more than 4 months to train and add distance slowly (you could add by quarter mile increments each week or so). You also could see if there is 5K race near you so that you can get a shorter “practice” race in before the 10k to help you know what to expect.

jediyves

Original Poster

Pick a grocery store that is 5k away from you house. Jog there to buy the lightest grocery item so you don't have to carry a lot in your pack, and then jog back. That's 10K in one day. Do that once a week, or twice a week until you are comfortable enough to jog further.

HiJe

If you can do 3 miles with 12/min a mile, you have a buffer and can finish with 20 min/mile. Must be possible?

What you mentioned is my last resort plan really. Which will probably turn into what I really end up doing. Run for 3, then stick to a 20/mile walk. Other plan is to run 3 miles, walk for 1, run another, walk a half, and finish the last .7 to the finish. Doing as much Galloway as possible during the walking portions of course.

RunningKoen

What you mentioned is my last resort plan really. Which will probably turn into what I really end up doing. Run for 3, then stick to a 20/mile walk. Other plan is to run 3 miles, walk for 1, run another, walk a half, and finish the last .7 to the finish. Doing as much Galloway as possible during the walking portions of course.

I know. My point being: if your last resort plan is that solid (I've seen people do Dopey with less training and condition), you'll be fine :)

HiJe

I know. My point being: if your last resort plan is that solid (I've seen people do Dopey with less training and condition), you'll be fine :)

Thank you. I appreciate any and all help or encouragement. I'm new to running and my biggest challenges so far have been the mental hurdles.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Thank you. I appreciate any and all help or encouragement. I'm new to running and my biggest challenges so far have been the mental hurdles.

Jump over to the “What did you do?” thread and post how your training is going. Most of us who have posted here post there. It’s a mixture of new(er) and experienced runners and everyone is extremely helpful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom