Star Wars: Battlefront

Cam Eplion

Original Poster

As many of us know, Star Wars: Battlefront was THE game, I can't even tell you how many hours I put into both 1 and 2. But now a new Battlefront emerges, this time one being made by DICE who is also the developer for the Battlefield series. I am completely stoked for this game, I am a huge Battlefield fan who has invested hundreds of dollars and hours into the franchise, since I play the game a lot I know that DICE can make some pretty amazing games, but one of the best things DICE excels at is atmosphere. The maps on BF4 are HUGE on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. And that's what platforms the next Battlefront game will be on. No PS3 or 360, just next gen and PC. With that being said, we can already tell that these maps will be great in size, fantastic detail, and fun to play. At the time this thread is being posted we've only seen a slight glimmer of what the game has to offer. I thought it'd be pretty cool to start a thread about a game that is based off a theme that we love, but I'd also like to hear from you guys, what are your thoughts on this brand new Battlefront experience slated to release Holiday 2015.

erasure fan1

I've been waiting for battlefront 3 for a LONG time. I loved the first 2 and enjoyed some of the PSP games as well. I am not too sure about EA being in charge of star wars games though. They tend to destroy anything they get their hands on. I do hope they expand upon the mission structure and the playable hero option they had in battlefront 2. I will say that as much as I want battlefront 3, it was my 2nd choice for a star wars game. By far I wanted a knights of the old republic 3 before anything else.

Cam Eplion

Original Poster
I've been waiting for battlefront 3 for a LONG time. I loved the first 2 and enjoyed some of the PSP games as well. I am not too sure about EA being in charge of star wars games though. They tend to destroy anything they get their hands on. I do hope they expand upon the mission structure and the playable hero option they had in battlefront 2. I will say that as much as I want battlefront 3, it was my 2nd choice for a star wars game. By far I wanted a knights of the old republic 3 before anything else.
I did hear that Viceral who makes the Dead Space franchise, got the main writer from the uncharted series and they want to work on a well known title. Making me believe it would be KOTOR3. But it could also be a Force Unleashed 3. While I think EA had a pathetic year last year, this year they toned down the micro transactions a lot. While the titles they released weren't the greatest, they didn't release them unfinished such as BF4 last year which was virtually unplayable at launch. If you want to look at a company who has an absolutely terrible year is Ubisoft. Watch Dogs was not optimized for the PC and was not polished on any system, AC: Unity is almost unplayable as well, Ubisoft has had nothing but unfinished titles this year mainly on their triple a titles.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Star Wars Battlefront Sequel Coming Next Year
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/games/new...t-sequel-coming-next-year#sGtBleUbysFt3xZ7.99

During an earnings call on Tuesday, EA confirmed that the Star Wars Battlefront sequel is in development for next year (via GameSpot), though it’s unclear if they were referring to the calendar year 2017 or EA’s next fiscal year. EA’s fiscal year 2017 just started on April 1.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said that the Star Wars Battlefront sequel will have “bigger and better worlds” and will make use of content from “the new movies.” The first Star Wars Battlefront only included content from the original Star Wars trilogy.

EA added that the company expects to release a Star Wars game every year for the next three to four years. Jorgensen confirmed that the Star Wars game from Visceral and Motive is coming and we already knew the Respawn Star Wars game is also on the way.
/QUOTE]

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
EA Explains Why Star Wars Battlefront Didn't Have Single-Player and Teases Sequel Might
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-explains-why-star-wars-battlefront-didnt-have-s/1100-6439898/

Speaking today during EA's Investor Day event, EA Studios boss Patrick Soderlund talked about how Star Wars Battlefront, while generally well-received, was criticized for its lack of a single-player campaign. He also teased that a future instalment might introduce a campaign, something that even Star Wars actor John Boyega has called for.

He started off by explaining it was a purposeful decision to leave out a campaign for Battlefront, in part so that the team at DICE would get it out in time for the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The game is based on the original Star Wars trilogy, but it did have content based on Jakku, a setting from The Force Awakens. Additionally, it makes sense that EA would want to get the game out in time for the film, as it turned out to be a box office smash that brought more attention to the Star Wars brand overall.

While Battlefront was overall a success (it shipped 14 million copies), Soderlund said he is not pleased with the game's average review score. Right now, it sits at around a 75 on GameSpot sister site Metacritic.

"The one thing that we got criticized for was the lack of a single-player campaign. It was conscious decision we made due to time and being able to launch the game side-by-side with the movie that came out to get the strongest possible impact," he explained. "I think the team created a really good game based on the premise that we had. I would say the game has done very well for us and reached a very different demographic than a traditional EA game. So from that perspective, it's a success. Are we happy with the 75 rating? No. Is that something we're going to cure going forward? Absolutely."

While Battlefront lacks what might be considered a traditional single-player campaign, it does have a series of "Missions," which can be played solo and offline.

Also in the talk, Soderlund spoke about how EA is focusing on "depth and breadth" when it looks at building new games. In order for a shooter game to "truly break out and become really large," it's best to offer both a single-player campaign and a multiplayer component, he said. This is because a campaign can help players familiarize themselves with controls before jumping into online multiplayer, Soderlund mentioned.

"The depth and breadth is something that's proving to be more and more important," he said. "In a world where we want $60 up front and we expect people to stay with us over the course of a long time, the depth of what we offer is important."

"We have to go back and course correct that for another version if we were ever to build one," Soderlund added about how a future Battlefront game would need to offer more depth and breadth.

In December, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said Battlefront was intentionally designed to be "accessible."

"We had designed it to be a much more accessible product to a wide age group," he said at the time. "So, an 8-year-old could play with his father on the couch, as well as a teenager or 20-year-old could play the game and enjoy it. It is more accessible. And for the hardcore, it may not have the depth that they wanted in the game."

erasure fan1

EA Explains Why Stthar Wars Battlefront Didn't Have Single-Player and Teases Sequel Might
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-explains-why-star-wars-battlefront-didnt-have-s/1100-6439898/
That pretty much sums up why EA was the wrong choice to partner with. No single player because they wanted to get it out in time to tie into FA. Ok then, sell it for $30 not $60. I picked it up for $20 and I would argue that if it wasn't for the star wars license, it still wasn't worth it.

erasure fan1

I'm not liking the way the loot crate system is looking. It's not that having loot crates is bad. But when someone wants to pay so they can be stronger than anyone who isn't paying, thats an issue. If they end up staying with this model, I will definitely wait till its $20/$30 because 5-7 hr campaign isn't worth $60.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom